• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Stipple and Duracoat job.

Yes! Was going for the "tree bark" look. That's why I wanted the duraCoat to be more of a brown, I ordered "Desert Warrior Dark Earth". If you look it up you'll see it looks way more brown. Think they must have messed up the color ratio in my batch....

Last edited:
Nice job! What did you think of the duracoat? I used it on my Kahr K40, I thought it was good but next time I might try something different.

Ya it was a Do it your selfer. The DuraCoat is a real nice easy to use product, just wish it more resembled the color they advertised. Maybe i just got an off batch... The stipple improved the grip 100% and makes for a faster/easier draw! For anyone looking to get it done, it really isn't that hard. I Do not have very much artistic talent. If you mess up or want the change something the poly is very manipulative and forgiving, I changed different spot i wasn't happy with a few times. Just have to go for it![wink]

image.jpg image.jpg

Here are a couple pics with the G23 13 round mag with extension.

Also working with my buddy on his G 23 and cutting down the grip to except the G27 9
Rounders for carrying. We find the 13 rounders dig into the seat when driving. I'll post pics when it's complete.

Here's a pic of the 23 after it was cut with the nine rounder. Cut the sides a wee bit short but it makes it easier to strip the mag. Stipple and duraCoat should make it all flow better. image.jpg

Not a big fan of the bearded Glock look but if it improves grip that's all that really matters.

Maybe the duracoat needed some sort of primer to make it look like the true advertised color? Black is very hard to cover well without some sort of sealer/primer coat.

Yep, but if he likes and makes it easier to use it thats all that matter

How is the duracoat thinking about doing my steyr

Like stated before easy to use, and like any other "paint" type application the prep work is very important. The durabake kit I used comes with a degreaser/cleaning spray. I did the slide only. I lightly glass bead blasted the slide first ( a light once over with very fine sandpaper would be ok too) then I de greased and applied. It took several coats and the finish came out neat and acceptable especially for the money, you get what you pay for. ​I would look into cerakote as well, I might try that next time. The gun was originally all oxide black. Thats the duracoat color I ordered but it definately was darker. Then I glass bead blasted and polished the frame, new grips and new trijicon night sights. I thought it was a nice little cleanup without investing a lot of money on an older gun that was probably one of the earlier models and showed signs of holster wear and normal fading. Here's is a pic, although not the best you can see the finish on the slide.
3f974c66-d6e0-4b1b-afcb-5d608d65f38f_zps2320e07c.jpg

Last edited:
Its all good, Ill never sell it and I like my stuff custom. And I really don't think any stick on grip can compare to a stippled grip. Feels like it just wants to stick to my hand! You got to hold one. I love glocks but they are no show piece. I know so don't like it but aside from major grip improvement I think it looks better..... Probably could sell it for more money than "stock" also.

Back
Top Bottom