First Gun Purchase, how did you start your collection?

User name is just one I’ve used around other more global forums… It really should read B.Bellingham if I was going to be more accurate. Haha

Thankfully, Bellingham is a great town for those applying for LTC. I was able to take my course, meet the Sargent for finger printing and paperwork, and pickup my LTC just about one month after.

I know I have a lot to learn on the Free State vs Mass end of things. I’m sure there’s got to be some good threads on here about that I’ll need to search for.

Good area. Most of the towns around Bellingham are green.

My first gun was my high school graduation present from my Dad. Back in 74, it was a Smith mod. 19-2, .357 mag. 6 inch. Blued. Still have it, and i lost track of how many guns ive aquired and sold over the years.....P.S. back then it cost 140.00........

I’ve officially got my LTC now and have been thinking about how I want to start my collection. I’m told to plan on getting more than I thought I would… which already seems true as I read and learn more about different kinds of guns (not even touching on surplus guns).

I‘m likely going to start with a handgun, as I imagine a lot of folks do unless their first was something like a .22 rifle they got as a teen.

I‘m leaning towards starting with something in the Glock 19/ M&P 9 compact size range, or maybe even go for something a little more concealable like a Shield sized gun. I‘ve read that smaller guns are harder to control, but I don’t have the immediate budget to purchase more than one gun, and while I’d like a larger compact or even full-size pistol I think I’d rather learn and train with whatever I’ll eventually be carrying, and then add a rifle next.

So how did you start your collection? And how quickly did you need to buy a bigger safe?!
The month I turned 21, ordered a Ruger KP95d and $300 in practice ammo. Haven't looked back. Put 400 rounds through that pistol a month for years before branching into Glocks a little.

Long term, blew the clip off the recoil spring bar a few times, and wore out the mag release spring thing. Otherwise, I'm probably 22+k rounds in, and no concerns. Will never sell. Ruger sent me a bag of the clips for the end of the recoil bàr assembly. I think that was a decade ago, and I've used one of the ten they mailed me.

Mag release is the main issue. Even now replaced... Comparing it to the Glock or M&P release system .. it's not as long term. Again. Still made it decade + of monthly use.

For a weapon which cost $325 after tax shipped? It owes me nothing. It's punched holes in probably $300 in paper since I bought it. And easily consumed five times that in ammo.

If I had to do it again today, I would find a police return used g19 or g17 and spend the money I saved on a spare mag and ammo.

I like the modern Ruger's, but 20 years is 20 years.

I’ve officially got my LTC now and have been thinking about how I want to start my collection. I’m told to plan on getting more than I thought I would… which already seems true as I read and learn more about different kinds of guns (not even touching on surplus guns).

I‘m likely going to start with a handgun, as I imagine a lot of folks do unless their first was something like a .22 rifle they got as a teen.

I‘m leaning towards starting with something in the Glock 19/ M&P 9 compact size range, or maybe even go for something a little more concealable like a Shield sized gun. I‘ve read that smaller guns are harder to control, but I don’t have the immediate budget to purchase more than one gun, and while I’d like a larger compact or even full-size pistol I think I’d rather learn and train with whatever I’ll eventually be carrying, and then add a rifle next.

So how did you start your collection? And how quickly did you need to buy a bigger safe?!
First handgun I bought was a Ruger Mk III 22, so not really for self defense. For years, my 'carry' gun was a pre-lock S&W 686 .357 mag, though I lived in a part of the country where keeping a loaded pistol in the car/truck was no problem and I really didn't actually carry it all the time. My first true carry gun I bought as soon as I had my LTC in Mass, a Sig P220 Compact with all the factory tricks- melt job, tritium sights, short reset trigger. A friend in a fed agency had let me shoot his P229 several times and the Sig just 'felt like home' so to speak. My choice for the P220 Compact (no longer made?) was based on what I'm comfortable with, concealability, and me wanting 45 acp. Triggers on hammer fired pistols are usually way nicer than any striker fired (Glock and similar plastic guns). Watch the NES pig pile form up over me & 45 acp. I chose that mostly because I like the round and also with the thought that pass through in close conditions would be less (less chance of going through multiple walls etc. In reality 9mm is the more logical choice. Below pic of various rounds through ballistic gel:

10mm-1.jpg

In 2020 I had to make a few trips to a couple cities that were riot hot spots. I took a 10mm Glock 20 plus extra mags LOL. Bad caliber to start with, however. Again, go with 9mm.

A lot of people say that the sub compact pistols like a Glock 43 are more difficult to shoot. Perhaps, but not so much that you should be discouraged. For Women On Target events, I have worked with many students who had never picked up a gun before. Once they tried something heavier with less recoil and a longer sight radius, if a Glock 43 or 26 was available they often wanted to try them. Every single student first-timer was able to shoot the sub compacts just fine, keeping shots well within 'center of mass' on the target. If you really want to start with that size, give it a try.

Usually I recommend the Glock 19 as a carry / defense weapon for first-timers. If you like nicer triggers and the heft of an all metal gun, check out the Sig P229.

A lot of people say that the sub compact pistols like a Glock 43 are more difficult to shoot. Perhaps, but not so much that you should be discouraged. For Women On Target events, I have worked with many students who had never picked up a gun before. Once they tried something heavier with less recoil and a longer sight radius, if a Glock 43 or 26 was available they often wanted to try them. Every single student first-timer was able to shoot the sub compacts just fine, keeping shots well within 'center of mass' on the target. If you really want to start with that size, give it a try.
My experience has been similar. The more I think about it, and work with new shooters, the more I think this is all a hand fit question.

Duty sized guns are designed to fit folks who use them on duty. That community, historically, likely self-selected for above average males with larger hands who then built strength in their grip doing all their other related jobs. They'll find it easier to control guns that fit in their grip.

Smaller people will likely find a pistol that fits their grip more controllable - all other things being equal. I have found that many of my smaller first time shooters prefer my Shield to my G19, and are at least as accurate with it.

Obviously, this won't carry directly to a snubby in 357, but there are so many changed variables there that it's apples to battleships.

Sears Model 25 .22 rifle. My Dad got it for me on my 10th. Birthday.
Remington 540 .22 Target Rifle. I had my FID and I paid for it but I can't remember if my Dad had to actually buy it because I was only 16.
Ruger MK II 5.5" Target Model was my first pistol after getting my LTC.

If you can't tell I love 22s and have many of them in addition to the ones listed above.

First gun I ever actually bought myself, before I knew anything about anything, was an m44 mosin for $135.00 at a gun show. I was 18 and bought it on a whim because I didn't really have any money and I didn't need anything in particular because I already had access to all of my dad's guns. I actually lucked out, as it's actually a very nice Mosin with its original bolt and a basically perfect barrel. I cleaned it up real good and gave the stock a couple light coats of linseed oil and actually used it quite a bit to hunt. She hits dead on and holds about 1.5-2 moa at 100yds with 174gr brown bear soft points. It's a nice handy short rifle, and the bayonet stays out of the way nicely.

Edit: my first pistol I actually bought was a full size SW1911PD, then a M&P 40c, after that I have no idea I bought stuff 2 or 3 at a time leading up to obama.

Last edited:
I didn’t grow up around guns, only BB and pellet rifles, my family wasn’t anti gun it just wasn’t a thing in my household. I started at the sheriffs department and did my gun training but didn’t carry since I was in the housing units.

It all started for me in 2007 when my girlfriend and I bought a trailer in Albany NH, there was a shooting nearby in North Conway and my girlfriend was freaking out that there was a manhunt underway and I realized right then and there that I was crazy to not have a gun. I bought my first handgun Sig P226 since that’s what I trained with at work. After a few months it was on to an AK for its simplicity and it grew into what it is today, No more 40 or AK’s now though, just 9 and 5.56.

This is the incident that got me going

shooters prefer my Shield to my G19
My 15yr old son went over all my guns and shoots best g17 frame with either no backgrip plate or medium one.
Quite interesting that he handled g34 slide worse than g17.
Smaller guns including 19, rented ones and p365 were rejected. Heavier all metal were rejected. Shadow 2 was way too heavy.

That was as ultimate beginner experience as possible. G17 rules it all as an all around gun.

My experience has been similar. The more I think about it, and work with new shooters, the more I think this is all a hand fit question.

Duty sized guns are designed to fit folks who use them on duty. That community, historically, likely self-selected for above average males with larger hands who then built strength in their grip doing all their other related jobs. They'll find it easier to control guns that fit in their grip.

Smaller people will likely find a pistol that fits their grip more controllable - all other things being equal. I have found that many of my smaller first time shooters prefer my Shield to my G19, and are at least as accurate with it.

Obviously, this won't carry directly to a snubby in 357, but there are so many changed variables there that it's apples to battleships.
Good comments regarding fit. One of the ladies I worked with was literally shaking from nerves at the thought of firing a pistol for the first time. We started with a Mk IV (5"?) bull barrel because I knew the recoil was nil. She was hooked after printing some nice groups right at the center of the bull. Physically she was very petite with fine, small hands. She went nuts over the G 43 because of how it fit her hand and would have kept shooting and shooting it if more time allowed. Her groups were not much bigger than with the 22, and way better than necessary for defensive shooting.

I didn’t grow up around guns, only BB and pellet rifles, my family wasn’t anti gun it just wasn’t a thing in my household. I started at the sheriffs department and did my gun training but didn’t carry since I was in the housing units.

It all started for me in 2007 when my girlfriend and I bought a trailer in Albany NH, there was a shooting nearby in North Conway and my girlfriend was freaking out that there was a manhunt underway and I realized right then and there that I was crazy to not have a gun. I bought my first handgun Sig P226 since that’s what I trained with at work. After a few months it was on to an AK for its simplicity and it grew into what it is today, No more 40 or AK’s now though, just 9 and 5.56.

This is the incident that got me going

Weird I hadn't heard of it - a few days afterwards, we were in Franconia closing on the Lisbon property.

I have smaller hands, and I’ve found the compact guns with thinner grips to be more comfortable. At least so far. I have to go see the guys down at Mass Firearms and see how I can handle/shoot a bunch of guns on top of trying out my fiends pistols. Especially with how many now have backstrap/grip size options.

There’s a part of me that wants to go with a Glock 19 and buy a pre-ban mag just as symbolic double freedom flyers to Maura. 🤣

I have smaller hands, and I’ve found the compact guns with thinner grips to be more comfortable. At least so far. I have to go see the guys down at Mass Firearms and see how I can handle/shoot a bunch of guns on top of trying out my fiends pistols. Especially with how many now have backstrap/grip size options.

There’s a part of me that wants to go with a Glock 19 and buy a pre-ban mag just as symbolic double freedom flyers to Maura. 🤣
There's a lot to say for getting a duty gun as your first, if it fits your hands. My G19 is a 3rd gen so it doesn't have backstrap options. If you get your hands on a 4th or 5th gen, you might enjoy it. Once you're comfortable shooting consistently, you can worry about what gun you're going to carry.

Last edited:
... in 2007 when my girlfriend and I bought a trailer in Albany NH, there was a shooting nearby in North Conway and ... and I realized right then and there that I was crazy to not have a gun. ... This is the incident that got me going

Follow-up:

There's a lot to say for getting a duty gun as your first, if it fits your hands. My G19 is a 3rd gen so it doesn't have backstage options. If you get your hands on a 4th or 5th gen, you might enjoy it. Once you're comfortable shooting consistently, you can worry about what gun you're going to carry.
That’s a great point. I wouldn’t feel comfortable carrying for a while anyway, so something like that should probably be my first. As many have said, it won’t be my last. 😂

My brother in law has a HK VP9 and a Sig P238 that I’ll be able to shoot hopefully next weekend. And he’s a lefty too so they should be set up as best as possible for me.

Mom got me a Browning BL-22 when I was a teenager.
A few years later I foolishly traded it in (with some cash) for a Remington 700 in .30-'06.
I still have the Remington, but would like to get a replacement Browning at some point.

you need to carry to become comfortable with it.... the idea is that the gun on your side is going to be like your wallet or car keys.... they are there but you don't give them much consideration.

Now I would never tell anyone to carry a gun they were not proficient with, and one they know functions reliably

That means a trip to the range when you get it and putting at least 100 rounds down range, getting the sight picture in relation to where the bullet hits down, doing tap rack and roll drills, mag swaps, etc.

It also means that your EDC or any carry gun has to be shot frequently to stay proficient.... going to the range, putting 3 mags down range, putting it in a cheap holster and thinking you are going to be able to deploy the weapon and come out on the good side is not a good strategy.

That being said, what experience you get on the range is nothing like what happens when you have to remove the gun from the holster in any situation where you are faced with using it or not. Hands shake, adrenaline flows, tunnel vision, etc etc etc all happen ... it takes a lot of training and a certain mindset to be able to instinctively get the gun out of the holster, on target and have the ability to pull the trigger knowing you are going to injure or KILL another human being. Lots of people claim they can do it, very few can... I would bet most of the proficient shooters on this forum can do it.

My best advice to you after you buy a gun and get comfortable and proficient with it, is to buy a holster and belt that make you comfortable with having the gun on your side.

When I got my first Glock, in 1991, I was not comfortable with it on my side. My EDC up til then was a S&W Model 13, or a model 36... I was not used to a semi, and I was carrying the Glock without one in the pipe. Not a good thing to do.

What got me comfortable with the gun was a good leather holster with a thumb break. Thumb break holsters have always been my personal choice, YMMV.

Once I got a holster I was comfortable with, the gun became comfortable to me. Guns, holsters and belts are a system that have to work well together.

Just make sure the gun stays concealed... and not "printing" if at all possible

Sig P250 9mm. Best choice starter gun for me. The smooth double-action-only trigger taught me trigger control lightning quick. Added a couple conceal carry guns before my first long gun, then I was forced to buy a rifle safe. Once I got the rifle safe, my plan of selective purchasing was out the window.

you need to carry to become comfortable with it.... the idea is that the gun on your side is going to be like your wallet or car keys.... they are there but you don't give them much consideration.

Now I would never tell anyone to carry a gun they were not proficient with, and one they know functions reliably

That means a trip to the range when you get it and putting at least 100 rounds down range, getting the sight picture in relation to where the bullet hits down, doing tap rack and roll drills, mag swaps, etc.

It also means that your EDC or any carry gun has to be shot frequently to stay proficient.... going to the range, putting 3 mags down range, putting it in a cheap holster and thinking you are going to be able to deploy the weapon and come out on the good side is not a good strategy.

That being said, what experience you get on the range is nothing like what happens when you have to remove the gun from the holster in any situation where you are faced with using it or not. Hands shake, adrenaline flows, tunnel vision, etc etc etc all happen ... it takes a lot of training and a certain mindset to be able to instinctively get the gun out of the holster, on target and have the ability to pull the trigger knowing you are going to injure or KILL another human being. Lots of people claim they can do it, very few can... I would bet most of the proficient shooters on this forum can do it.

My best advice to you after you buy a gun and get comfortable and proficient with it, is to buy a holster and belt that make you comfortable with having the gun on your side.

When I got my first Glock, in 1991, I was not comfortable with it on my side. My EDC up til then was a S&W Model 13, or a model 36... I was not used to a semi, and I was carrying the Glock without one in the pipe. Not a good thing to do.

What got me comfortable with the gun was a good leather holster with a thumb break. Thumb break holsters have always been my personal choice, YMMV.

Once I got a holster I was comfortable with, the gun became comfortable to me. Guns, holsters and belts are a system that have to work well together.

Just make sure the gun stays concealed... and not "printing" if at all possible

All great points, thanks. Luckily I work from home, and likely will even after Covid dies down should be home multiple days per week.

That should provide me ample time for dry fire practice and draw/holster practice as well as getting used to and finding a comfortable carry position. The nearest Range is also only 10-15 min away so I can do some extended lunch breaks and sneak away for some practice there. I definitely don’t want to be one of those guys that gets a gun and doesn’t know how to use it.

M&P 9 full size was my first.

Won’t be long before you start stockpiling 80% lowers.

Ha! I’m already trying to get a lower off my brother-in-law. He bought 3 before the Healy nonsense and hasn’t used one yet. If that happens my best friend has an Upper he’s willing to give me for a good price since hes completed a .300 blackout build and already had another 556 upper.

Back
Top Bottom