• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Gun Purchase, how did you start your collection?

I’ve officially got my LTC now and have been thinking about how I want to start my collection. I’m told to plan on getting more than I thought I would… which already seems true as I read and learn more about different kinds of guns (not even touching on surplus guns).

I‘m likely going to start with a handgun, as I imagine a lot of folks do unless their first was something like a .22 rifle they got as a teen.

I‘m leaning towards starting with something in the Glock 19/ M&P 9 compact size range, or maybe even go for something a little more concealable like a Shield sized gun. I‘ve read that smaller guns are harder to control, but I don’t have the immediate budget to purchase more than one gun, and while I’d like a larger compact or even full-size pistol I think I’d rather learn and train with whatever I’ll eventually be carrying, and then add a rifle next.

So how did you start your collection? And how quickly did you need to buy a bigger safe?!

First gun I bought was a Sig 229 that came in 40 and had a 357 Sig conversion barrel. I immediately bought a 9mm conversion barrel and had a true three caliber handgun. That was years ago and i just luckily stumbled on the deal for a Sig.

Just think real hard on what you want to do with your first gun. If it’s CCW then I’m a fan of small compact guns for that. Just moved from 380 to a 9mm Sig 365 that conceals well for me. Try to handle as many guns as you can before buying.

Also let people know what town your in and many will let you try things out if you bring ammo.

Remember it’s not just the gun. You need to think about carry ammo and a good holster for it. Keep some money aside for that.

Same here, a first one I bought with my money was a good horizontal double barrel 12ga. Do not recall now, I think at 19yr old or 18.

First gun I bought was a Sig 229 that came in 40 and had a 357 Sig conversion barrel. I immediately bought a 9mm conversion barrel and had a true three caliber handgun. That was years ago and i just luckily stumbled on the deal for a Sig.

Just think real hard on what you want to do with your first gun. If it’s CCW then I’m a fan of small compact guns for that. Just moved from 380 to a 9mm Sig 365 that conceals well for me. Try to handle as many guns as you can before buying.

Also let people know what town your in and many will let you try things out if you bring ammo.

Remember it’s not just the gun. You need to think about carry ammo and a good holster for it. Keep some money aside for that.

Yes, I made sure to set aside a healthy portion of the budget for a smaller pistol safe, Holster, ammo, and training/range time with it.
Thankfully I’ve got some friends, cousins, and a brother-in-law that all have very different handguns. I think for the cost of a few six packs I can convince them to spend an afternoon shooting with me which would let me handle Some M&P Shield, some Sig 365 and M18, an HK VP9, Springfield XD-S. Plus I do want to rent some others and compare to what I’ve shot before.

No need to rush it. That‘s awesome that you were able to do that with your Sig 229!

My first was a snub-nosed S&W .38spl revolver.

I fired exactly one shot from my friends snub-nose. I think it was a .357, but that trigger pull felt like it took forever, and I did not enjoy that experience at all. I did like the 1911 and glock we shot that day though!

I was only issued the formerly available Class B LTC at first.
I bought a Ruger Security Six .357mag 4” barrel revolver.
And a Ruger 10/22 rifle.

Both were excellent guns. With the price of 22LR vs all other cartridges, I think the 10/22 is the most fun gun I’ve ever owned. Plinking with that one is loads of fun.

I’m not a fanboy, in fact I really don’t “like” glocks much but I think every gun owner should have at least one g19. Protect your home, learn to carry it and shoot it safely. Belt and holster are not items to save money on. After that, just start reading, learning and trying other things and figure out what you’re into.

You should also get yourself a decent belt made for carrying the weight of a pistol and a spare mag or two. Regular leather or nylon belts are def not the best for carrying, once you see the diff in wear, comfort and security you’ll understand better.

This is a good starting point for you.

As well, there are a few threads around here that discuss belts in detail and provide reviews as well from NES users.

I went to a gun shop/range and rented several handguns I was thinking of buying. I was surprised that one particular handgun that is a cc favorite just wasn’t for me. If I hadn’t tried it first I would have bought one and have been disappointed. Try before you buy.

I was only issued the formerly available Class B LTC at first.
I bought a Ruger Security Six .357mag 4” barrel revolver.
And a Ruger 10/22 rifle.

Both were excellent guns. With the price of 22LR vs all other cartridges, I think the 10/22 is the most fun gun I’ve ever owned. Plinking with that one is loads of fun.
My first license was a class B too so I ended up getting a sig p239. The guys at the shop had never seen an LTC B and thought I was an ATF sting operation seeing how they would handle it.

Ruger SR9c from a member here. Felt like a drug deal tbh. At the time I wasnt really interested in guns, just wanted a pistol I could carry concealed. Then I think it was a Ruger 10/22. I had a blast shooting one out in the desert with family a couple of years prior along with some miscellaneous semi auto pistols. That trip is really what got me into guns. After that maybe a 91/30 and after that its a blur. Probably needed a bigger safe a couple of years in especially after I got the C&R.

I walked into Dicks (I know). Pretended that I knew what I was looking for. Pointed to a Mossberg 500 12 ga and said I'd like to see that. I handled it for a minute pretending to know what I was looking for in a shotgun...... and I told the kid behind the counter who knew equally as little as I did that I would take it.
I still enjoy that shotgun.

Last edited:
I’ve officially got my LTC now and have been thinking about how I want to start my collection. I’m told to plan on getting more than I thought I would… which already seems true as I read and learn more about different kinds of guns (not even touching on surplus guns).

I‘m likely going to start with a handgun, as I imagine a lot of folks do unless their first was something like a .22 rifle they got as a teen.

I‘m leaning towards starting with something in the Glock 19/ M&P 9 compact size range, or maybe even go for something a little more concealable like a Shield sized gun. I‘ve read that smaller guns are harder to control, but I don’t have the immediate budget to purchase more than one gun, and while I’d like a larger compact or even full-size pistol I think I’d rather learn and train with whatever I’ll eventually be carrying, and then add a rifle next.

So how did you start your collection? And how quickly did you need to buy a bigger safe?!
My first purchase was easy
18 years old $150 in my pocket off to KTP- 1989 Only Center fire rifle I could afford was a SKS russian $89 and a FREE case of ammo. It was corrosive ammo and they where giving away free corrosive ammo with SKS or AK purchase. At that time we where seeing a flood of non corrosive x39 "hunting ammo" for around $90/1000 I think I still have a few boxes of each ?
Not long after went and bought a Norinco AK with all the accessories , 75 round drum a few 40/30/20 round mags and a five rounder for hunting. that was $139 st the time

After that it was all "practical" purchases that I could afford.
870 express to cover a lot of hunting applications
Buying to "collect" did not come until much later in life and that was short lived as pay did not keep up with inflation or cost of living....
I have since become a shooting collector. I only buy guns I intend to shoot

It all started with the Ruger MKII 5.5" heavy barrel target. I still think that a .22 handgun is best to start with and build you fundamentals with relatively cheap ammo. First revolver was a S&W model 65-2 stainless .357 that I got from my brother-in-law. And then it began in earnest. [grin] I discovered Trap/Skeet and had to get a few shotguns. Black powder? Sure, why not. I then fell under the spell of IPSC/USPSA action $hooting.
Oh, and rifles. You got to have some rifles.

Whatever you do, don't get your green card.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CzGEQHHbEM

Last edited:
A Savage 16 gauge side by side was my first. At that time I was just busting clays and pumpkins on a farm. When I realized I wanted to carry, I bought a Ruger SR9 and from there it went exponential. And I realized I prefer small/compacts to carry. Please, try to shoot a gun before you buy it. good luck!

First Shotgun: Mossberg 500 modified choke
First Rifle: Ruger 10/22
First Handgun: Ruger GP100 357 3" barrel stainless

WTB list: S&W Governor, M1 Garand in .308 (I know I'm a heretic.)

Back
Top Bottom