• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Gun Purchase, how did you start your collection?

, but it was cool and I could hide it from my anti-gun parents! 😦

had to hide my first as well. luckily i had plenty of toys guns as a kid so no one though anything of the shotgun in my closet with a lock on it

My parents were quite surprised to find a Rem 870 and an SKS under my brother's bed. They only expected to see illicit substances or magazines...

I’ve officially got my LTC now and have been thinking about how I want to start my collection. I’m told to plan on getting more than I thought I would… which already seems true as I read and learn more about different kinds of guns (not even touching on surplus guns).

I‘m likely going to start with a handgun, as I imagine a lot of folks do unless their first was something like a .22 rifle they got as a teen.

I‘m leaning towards starting with something in the Glock 19/ M&P 9 compact size range, or maybe even go for something a little more concealable like a Shield sized gun. I‘ve read that smaller guns are harder to control, but I don’t have the immediate budget to purchase more than one gun, and while I’d like a larger compact or even full-size pistol I think I’d rather learn and train with whatever I’ll eventually be carrying, and then add a rifle next.

So how did you start your collection? And how quickly did you need to buy a bigger safe?!
When I turned 18 back in PA around 1986… I bought a Calico .22LR Carbine… with these crazy 100 round drum mags, when I was 21 a few years later I bought a beautiful Colt 1911 Stainless Commandor I later sold 🤦🏻‍♂️ because I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn with… blamed the gun of course…

Dad had a bunch that he shared.
My First purchase was a 10/22 with stainless barrel and action. Bought at M&M when they were in Cordage Park, Plymouth.

Last edited:
About the time It was rumored that Winchester was going out of business, the first time about 1980, I stopped into Roaches sporting goods and they had a Winchester model 70 XTR Featherweight in 270 in the rack. Still have it. That started it all.

So, I ended up picking up a Sig P365XL. I got a cash back offer from my CC company on Bass Pro purchases that made it really a no brainer considering how much I’ve liked it at the range and it was in stock for me to purchase.

Got out to the range today to shoot it. Results on 30 rounds from 18 feet:
B7F0BDC7-3505-4CFD-B0E2-F4F637F843BC.jpeg

Versus a P320 X-Five with Red Dot that I grabbed to try:
1A6F0924-FD6C-42F0-B824-E795C42B94FA.jpeg

Overall I’m happy with my progress so far, but its temping to pick up something like a Holosun 507k as shooting with a dot felt really easy to me.

(sorry the picts are sideways, not sure why they’re loading like that)

Also a note, I’m a lefty so when I look at the ”why do I suck” charts on misses I need to flip it.

My first handgun was a 4" Smith model 19. A Colt 45acp followed behind shortly there after. More Smith revolvers in different calibers after that as well as more 1911's in 45acp and other calibers. Got some sig 9mm's and 45acp's. Tried and sold lots of glocks. Ended up with two 19's and a 21 45acp.

First long gun was a Ruger 10/22 in 1980 from Charlie’s gun shop in Saratoga Springs, NY. First handgun was a Ruger MK2 Government Target Model in 1998 from Morse Sporting Goods in Hillsborough, NH. Couple hundred in and out of the collection over the last 42 years.

My first gun story is pretty stupid…

I overpaid for a Glock 17 Gen 3, then (sorta) overpaid for a Glock 17 Gen 4 shortly after. Not even a month goes by and the Gen 5 comes out (Doh! 🤦‍♂️).

Five years later, here I am with this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 147
image-jpg.581007
(Even though he's a revolver),
somehow that RDS makes me think of Petey.
Petey.png

First gun I bought was a Para P14-45 back in 1995. Used the included 'coupons' to get more standard capacity magazines due to the .gov tyranny. Over the years a lot has been changed on it. Right off the bat I got it setup for IPSC competitions (I was in FL at the time). Pretty much the only original parts on it are the barrel, barrel bushing, slide and mainspring housing. I'm currently at three 1911's and looking to get another one (9mm this time for variety, but high capacity). I don't own a single glock. I don't have any plastic pistols. :p

First purchase was a Mossberg 835 for duck/goose hunting when I was in my early 20s circa 1985. I didn't come from a family with any kind of firearms history with the exception of my step dad who grew up in SD. So that was the only firearm I owned until about 2014 when I decided to get an LTC as I figured a right not exercised is a right lost. My first pistol purchased was a H&K P30L.

Mine was a M&P9. I really like it and ended up with 2 full size and 2 compact M&P's, all later sold to go with all Glocks. I have heard people regret selling or parting with their first gun (which I can totally understand), but it was a good move for me.

Mine was a M&P9. I really like it and ended up with 2 full size and 2 compact M&P's, all later sold to go with all Glocks. I have heard people regret selling or parting with their first gun (which I can totally understand), but it was a good move for me.
Yeah, I traded mine to a buddy for an all-matching Enfield no 5 Mk 1. For an AutoOrd 1911.

I got the better end of that deal.

For my first, i did all the research to find an all around carry/range combo. Price to quality ratio, etc ... ended up with a Ruger sr9c and couldn't hit the side of a shed with it... the best way is to test as many as you can before committing ... kind of like girl friends ...

Right around when I turned 18 I went out and bought a 99 dollar Chinese Type 53 Mosin under my parents noses. It was fun sneaking out into the woods far enough so they wouldn't suspect me. I was surprised how easily the bullets could penetrate soft wood

So, I ended up picking up a Sig P365XL. I got a cash back offer from my CC company on Bass Pro purchases that made it really a no brainer considering how much I’ve liked it at the range and it was in stock for me to purchase.

Got out to the range today to shoot it. Results on 30 rounds from 18 feet:
View attachment 580931

Versus a P320 X-Five with Red Dot that I grabbed to try:
View attachment 580932

Overall I’m happy with my progress so far, but its temping to pick up something like a Holosun 507k as shooting with a dot felt really easy to me.

(sorry the picts are sideways, not sure why they’re loading like that)

Also a note, I’m a lefty so when I look at the ”why do I suck” charts on misses I need to flip it.
Nice! Can I assume the delay between your first post and now was just waiting for tax returns?

I'm one of those whose first gun was a .22 my dad bought me when I was 15. The first I bought for myself was an H&R single shot 12 ga I picked up from a hardware store at about the same age.

I have a serious weakness for pre 1960 99 Savages. My Uncle returned from Korea in in 53 and his stepfather bought him a 99EG. He never used it much and around 1963 or so he gave it to me. Of course being 9 my Dad put it in the gun case. I got it officially in 1969. That gun got me started. Still have it today with the K4 my Dad put on it in 1969.

1.) Ruger 10/22. Paid $139
2.) SKS with folding bayonet Paid $79.00
3.) Tanfoglio BTA 9mm Paid under $400.
Then nothing for about 12 years.
The family was young and money was scarce.

Back
Top Bottom