First CMP order! It's here!

Guys, Ken (USMA) and I just received our rifles. see other post. They are beauties and you cannot go wrong with a SG M1.

if you have ever wanted one, get your order in now. Don't watch them all go and wish you had bought more than one (like i did with the Carbine!).
soon enough we will all look back at what a great deal this was and wish we had bought more. The age of Milsurps from easy channels is coming to an end.
Just in my short 4 years of collecting , i am watching the C&R distributor inventory disappear. $199 Yugo SKSs, $69 Mosins, $500 CMP carbines, $79 Mosin Nagant pistols. 8mm ammo for 20 cents a round.

I know you here the long time collectors (note i did not say old timers) talk about the $79 russian SKSs.. but most of you newer guys older than 26 could have started collecting with me.

There is not much time left ..... There is not much variety left.......when the distributors stop finding stuff to sell Gunboard, gunborker, the classifieds and private sales will still be avaiable. The prices, however, will only go up.

in Milsurp collecting, you almost never overpay (unless you buy the story not the gun)... you can however end up buying a little early

Last edited:
I would love another, but I've only room for one more rifle, and that's going to be a Kar98a. I got mine back in January of '12 (just 44 days from mailing back then) and was very pleased. Just surface cosmo, Service Grade December '42 SA receiver, SA bolt, 12/54 SA barrel at 1+/2+, HRA internal parts, 1953-1957 GI rebuild stock. OK groups, just need to practice more.

Maybe all us CMP Garand type could get together and have a parts swap party; HRA trigger group for SA group, etc.

MS

Last edited:
I would love another, but I've only room for one more rifle, and that's going to be a Kar98a. I got mine back in January of '12 (just 44 days from mailing back then) and was very pleased. Just surface cosmo, Service Grade December '42 SA receiver, SA bolt, 12/54 SA barrel at 1+/2+, HRA internal parts, 1953-1957 GI rebuild stock. OK groups, just need to practice more.

Maybe all us CMP Garand type could get together and have a parts swap party; HRA trigger group for SA group, etc.

MS

A reciever of that era needs a lockbar sight...just sayin'!

By the way, I hope all you guys are doing your part and adding to the master list....

USRifleCAL30M1.com

And don't forget the data sheet...

http://www.nicolausassociates.com/PDF/M1DataSheetFillable.pdf

Last edited:
Your rifle would be correct with a Type 2 lock bar as shown in Terrence's pictures; the windage knob should also have closed arrows (Springfield manufactured). Type 2 lockbars have rounded ends that match the curvature of the windage knob, but are longer than the Type 1's (which are also far more rare). After the war, the Army changed them out because soldiers complained they were difficult to adjust.

They can be had over at the CMP forums, but generally run around $100. Many competition shooters like them over the post-war sight adjustments because they're more difficult to accidentially move.

Any of you guys ever use the national match sights, either the rear sight with hood, the thin front post, or both? What do you think of them?

Lockbar sights are obsolete so upgrade any you find and send me the old ones. My first CMP garand was an almost correct 1945 SA, the only thing it needed to be correct was the Op-rod.

Thanks for the 411 on the sights. Personally I don't think it's worth my time, effort or cash to put it back into '42 trim. Seems correct for what is now: a late '54 or early '55 rebuild. I have a great example of a M1 Garand; I got the WWII receiver and GI wood I requested. I wouldn't have minded more SA parts, but it seems that all of the internals were replaced in the rebuild with new HRA parts, save the D28287-19SA B-18 bolt.

TG: 6529290 - HRA N
OP Rod: 6535382 HRA
Right receiver under op-rod handle: R 4 3 over D to right over D282291 17
Barrel: SA F6535448 12 54 MD 45 boxed proof (3 star over Eagle)
HRA gas nut
unmarked barrel retainer combo
unmarked bayonet lug
unmarked hanguard

MS

Cleaned it up a bit and oiled the stock after applying a little walnut stain to try to darken up the hand guard a little - a pet peeve - seemed to make a little difference.

Last edited:
Thanks for the 411 on the sights. Personally I don't think it's worth my time, effort or cash to put it back into '42 trim. Seems correct for what is now: a late '54 or early '55 rebuild. I have a great example of a M1 Garand; I got the WWII receiver and GI wood I requested. I wouldn't have minded more SA parts, but it seems that all of the internals were replaced in the rebuild with new HRA parts, save the B-18 SA bolt.

MS

Save for a 5 digit serial or below, if you're rifle doesn't have the original barrel, I'd agree making it correct generally isn't worth the effort.

Any of you guys ever use the national match sights, either the rear sight with hood, the thin front post, or both? What do you think of them?

I found the thiner post hard to focus on with my eyes. the hooded peeps seem to help me a bit. Other advantage is I believe the windage is 1/2 MOA vs 1 MOA. elevation maight be 1/2moa also but I forget.

I like the standard winged front sight and peep hole, as is on the Garand, M1 carbine, and M17 as well. I use a front sight hood cover on my M03 to help locate the single blade - works well with the old M03 post sights. I find the peep/single blade of the M03A3 nearly impossible to use consistently without the front wings, although I finally did quite well with it finally at the Holbrook NES shoot - hitting 4/5 standing with hasty sling at 200M at a 2 foot circular gong.

MS

- - - Updated - - -

Save for a 5 digit serial or below, if you're rifle doesn't have the original barrel, I'd agree making it correct generally isn't worth the effort.

Do you know when my SA bolt dates to? Wouldn't still be WWII would it?

D28287-19SA B-18

MS

They should really classify those of us trying to correct Garands as a bit of an illness.

I've been working on an S.G. M1 Carbine for a while now. I realized how Bush League that was when I encountered Garands with drawing numbers and shit.

Preparing data sheets is a really good idea, idk why I don't do that. I think my HRA SG has an SA op rod, but I can't keep track.

If you really want lock bars, the CMP has been auctioning a few sets of lock bars removed from ceremonial/drill rifles. I can only imagine the abuse those sights have endured.

Is anyone else not able to log into the estore? I log in, accept the agreement and it brings me to the "Advanced Online Catalog Search." I click My account and it brings me back to a login prompt. It is an infinite loop.

Is anyone else not able to log into the estore? I log in, accept the agreement and it brings me to the "Advanced Online Catalog Search." I click My account and it brings me back to a login prompt. It is an infinite loop.

It's a cookie thing I think. Clear cookies and then try it again or try a different browser. i had the same issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Really tempted to pick up a service grade HRA...

Stop the temptation and get one.

It's a cookie thing I think. Clear cookies and then try it again or try a different browser. i had the same issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Stop the temptation and get one.

Yep that's what it was. Cleared the CMP cookies and I can login. And alas, still no order in pending :(.

Back
Top Bottom