FInal Push Back on ERPO - Please Call Baker's Office Immediately.

Talking points that might appeal to Baker:

• Baker has the ability as governor, unique to MA, to "veto with amendment". He can essentially edit the bill and send it back to the legislature. This avoids the thorny political issues of a veto.
  • Every other legislature that has passed, including CA, IL, MD, VT, FL, and CT have used a "clear and convincing evidence" standard. Washington State used "preponderance", but that was a ballot initiative, not a legislative bill.
  • Other states did not have discretionary provisions for removing firearms for people not convicted for a crime. Massachusetts police do. What is the justification from removing the police, who have the power to actually investigate and take immediate action, from the equation? Is there any reason to believe that the judicial branch, with no investigatory capabilities, is more capable of making appropriate determinations as to risk? The bill should be amended to allow only law enforcement to file an ERPO.
  • The "risk" rather than "significant risk" standard is unreasonable. Every human situation or action has some degree of risk.

Exactly, I'm guessing less than half are calling from MA. All they need to do is tie up the phone lines and our message doesn't get through.

And vice versa as well.

The only thing that appeals to Baker is a Second Term...
Maybe a better approach is "I voted for the Governor in 2014, but will NOT do the same if he signs this bill!"
This, times 1000!
I told the intern kid that I was at a fundraiser thing in Clinton when he was running originally, and he promised he would support gun owners. I said he went back on his promise, and a LOT of people are paying attention! He needs to understand that our votes make a difference. WE need to make our votes make a difference.

I called yesterday and spent about 15 minutes on the phone with an aide. Sounded like a very young girl. I covered everything...….... I also called Dean Tran who represents me as State Senator, yesterday who said there WAS no vote on the floor as the majority party "decides" and moves it ahead vs. what was reported in the "fake news". Overwhelming support.
Dean said he and some repubs behind the scenes fought the "only one gun purchase a month" and got that taken off and this whole ERPO law must be reviewed in a year for abuse. And I think he said they did get some mental illness language in there. Dean says it's about control. Next time it could be your car or other personal property.

Dean also said Baker will sign the bill. I guess if 10,000 people called, maybe he'd think twice.
So please remember the Democrats at election time.

For Fitchburg residents...…...
BTW, Stephen Hay, our state Rep voted for this (against us) with no amendment considerations, he also voted himself a 40% raise last year. I had contacted his office regarding this bill several times to no avail...... He has an opponent this year for his seat , Elmer Eubanks (R) , a 2A friendly Professor at Mt. Watchusett college.
Please pass this along to every gun owner you know. Whether you join or not, it would be a good idea to get on GOAL's email distribution list to be alerted about things like this.
I talked with a neighborhood friend who's a hunter and knew nothing about this. That is the way the Dem's like it.

I called yesterday and spent about 15 minutes on the phone with an aide. Sounded like a very young girl. I covered everything...….... I also called Dean Tran who represents me as State Senator, yesterday who said there WAS no vote on the floor as the majority party "decides" and moves it ahead vs. what was reported in the "fake news". Overwhelming support.
Dean said he and some repubs behind the scenes fought the "only one gun purchase a month" and got that taken off and this whole ERPO law must be reviewed in a year for abuse. And I think he said they did get some mental illness language in there. Dean says it's about control. Next time it could be your car or other personal property.

Dean also said Baker will sign the bill. I guess if 10,000 people called, maybe he'd think twice.
So please remember the Democrats at election time.

For Fitchburg residents...…...
BTW, Stephen Hay, our state Rep voted for this (against us) with no amendment considerations, he also voted himself a 40% raise last year. I had contacted his office regarding this bill several times to no avail...... He has an opponent this year for his seat , Elmer Eubanks (R) , a 2A friendly Professor at Mt. Watchusett college.
Please pass this along to every gun owner you know. Whether you join or not, it would be a good idea to get on GOAL's email distribution list to be alerted about things like this.
I talked with a neighborhood friend who's a hunter and knew nothing about this. That is the way the Dem's like it.

re: the last line in your post----the neighbor hunter also likes it like this

Read an article this morning that polls indicate Baker has a 30+ point lead over any of the demo and has more than 50% for the November election. He's already a lock for the republican nomination.

Translation: He doesn't have to give a rat f*ck about what we think of this. He'll be back for a second term whatever we do.

I hate this state.

R

Read an article this morning that polls indicate Baker has a 30+ point lead over any of the demo and has more than 50% for the November election. He's already a lock for the republican nomination.

Translation: He doesn't have to give a rat f*ck about what we think of this. He'll be back for a second term whatever we do.

I hate this state.

R
Guarantee 2nd term.

Think we could get enough signatures for a ballot initiative to end voice votes and require recorded votes?
Roll call vote only requires 7 Senators to ask. We couldn't muster even that much support.

The rule is, 20% of the Senate (8 Senators) or the number of Senators in the minority party, whichever is less. Right now there are 7 Republicans, so that was the threshold.

I was also told by Dean that a "roll call" is difficult and there has to be a "large enough" crowd to approve it. Dems don't like those requests either.

That should be f***ing mandatory. Voice votes should not be allowed on anything, I don't care if it's even a motion to adjourn for lunch. This should all be public record.

Roll call vote only requires 7 Senators to ask. We couldn't muster even that much support.

The rule is, 20% of the Senate (8 Senators) or the number of Senators in the minority party, whichever is less. Right now there are 7 Republicans, so that was the threshold.

I know Dean Tran voted with us. Can't speak for anyone else.

... Please pass this along to every gun owner you know. ...
re: the last line in your post----the neighbor hunter also likes it like this

Sent "ERPO Alert" email to the club's membership. Over 1000 recipients, about half opened so far. That's ~500 more getting the message.

Of course, not all hunters belong to clubs, nor are all club members hunters.

I forwarded an email to my club's officers and asked them to blast out to members. I missed our last monthly meeting but believe it was already communicated There should be a mandatory law that any time a law is crafted and it will affect your right to bear arms in "some way", every LTC / FID holder should be notified, like an abutter to a proposed building site before it is decided. Wait, I think I almost described a democracy. It's sickly funny, but maybe one of the Dem candidates would support our 2A rights more than Baker. Our motorcycle shop will be doing a ride for Veterans via Project New Hope in a few weeks and usually, Karyn Polito shows up. I will at least let her know how "let down" we are by Faker.

Last edited:
I forwarded an email to my club's officers and asked them to blast out to members. I missed our last monthly meeting but believe it was already communicated There should be a mandatory law that any time a law is crafted and it will affect your right to bear arms in "some way", everyone should be notified, like an abutter to a proposed building site before it is decided. Wait, I think I almost described a democracy. It's sickly funny, but maybe one of the Dem candidates would support our 2A rights more than Baker. Our motorcycle shop will be doing a ride for Veterans via Project New Hope in a few weeks and usually, Karyn Polito shows up. I will at least let her know how "let down" we are by Faker.

Don't forget to thank her for personally signing the bump stock ban herself.

That should be f***ing mandatory. Voice votes should not be allowed on anything, I don't care if it's even a motion to adjourn for lunch. This should all be public record.

With electric voting, it's as simple as pushing a button. But that's apparently too much work for them.

Guarantee 2nd term.

We need to try to remain positive. The pollsters told us all that Hillary would win by a landslide too. Remember Garand Man's signature line.
Constant. Upbeat. Pressure.
Never give up. I called, my wife called. We know that it may not have had an effect, but doing nothing is guaranteed to have no effect.

We need to try to remain positive. The pollsters told us all that Hillary would win by a landslide too. Remember Garand Man's signature line.
Constant. Upbeat. Pressure.
Never give up. I called, my wife called. We know that it may not have had an effect, but doing nothing is guaranteed to have no effect.

I here what you saying. Fight to the end on Wake island rather than give up and get slaughtered anyway.

But remember that Hillary won the commiewealth by a landslide.

This crap will get overrided one way or another and singles out a minority. And it will be abused. I hope Comm2A files lawsuit.

It's sickly funny, but maybe one of the Dem candidates would support our 2A rights more than Baker.

At least with Baker we don't get a governor who uses the bully pulpit to advocate for and push for nonsense. Could you imagine Healey in the corner office? It would be worse than Cuomo in NY.

The only upside I can see to it is I think the loud, direct-to-the public open attack on our rights from the executive branch would raise the profile of these issues and make a lot more people get involved and start calling legislators and flexing our muscle. Versus now, it's all quiet and behind the scenes, hardly any headlines. And that ain't much of an upside, lots of shitty stuff would get passed that isn't now.

R
Then he should have no problem killing ERPO, stop playing to the Dems, and start using common sense rather than feelings.

Then he should have no problem killing ERPO, stop playing to the Dems, and start using common sense rather than feelings.
He only knows how to build political capital, not spend it.

I lost faith in his rationality when he signed a bill creating a licensing board for "naturopathic medicine" a few years ago. What's next, a licensing board for witch doctors and fortune tellers?

He only knows how to build political capital, not spend it.

I lost faith in his rationality when he signed a bill creating a licensing board for "naturopathic medicine" a few years ago. What's next, a licensing board for witch doctors and fortune tellers?
I think you do have to have a license in MA to tell fortunes.

Someday you’ll need a permit in MA to take a dump on your own toilet.
You'll also have to weigh it and if it's over a certain weight they'll charge you another fee. Also each flush will be registered and if you exceed your quota for your household there will be an additional fee too. We have to keep our politicians living in the lap of luxury at our expense and we have to keep the FSA fed & clothed at our expense too.

Someday you’ll need a permit in MA to take a dump on your own toilet.

If you are on septic, you already need a permit. Then when you want to sell your house, you'll need to pay for a very expensive test and get another permit for the next owner to take a dump in the formerly-your-toilet.

Back
Top Bottom