Favorite Rifle?

I have:

22-250
30-06
270 Win
But my favorite is my Savage Model 99-R in 300 Savage.
I bought it new in 1961 and shot many deer with it. I would never sell it at any price.
It will be my son's when I die.

22-250 Rem
.270 Win
30-06
Are you asking us to choose between the options you list?
If that's the case, .308.

Just to be a prick; if that is your query, it should be framed as "Favorite Caliber (of what I have listed)"

My M-1 Garands - Springfield Armory NM, Winchester, Harrington & Richardson and International Harvester

My ARs and all those upper variations run a close second.

Are you asking us to choose between the options you list?
If that's the case, .308.

Just to be a prick; if that is your query, it should be framed as "Favorite Caliber (of what I have listed)"

Be a prick...I'm too stupid to figure out how to change the title [smile]. I originally wanted input for rifles, but figured that was too broad a brush stroke. I crossed my fingers and hoped folks would figure out I meant caliber. Yeah, I tried to figure out how to post a poll.....failed miserably.

Enjoyably enough, I see input on caliber and style of rifle, which is just as good. I see a lot of happy campers with the .308....of varying style rifles

Last edited:
For pure fun as a plinker I'll go back to what I said to myself in basic when we shot the AR15 "someday I am going to own one of these". Make it two. Cheap to shoot, low impact, accurate as hell, adaptable, "takes a likin and keeps on tickin" and just plain fun to shoot.

Don't bother running, you'll just die tired
howa1500brown.jpg

Any good quality bolt action rifle by Ruger, Savage, Winchester or Remington in .308. There are plenty of other choices too, some more expensive...but I have generally had good luck with these in the past, although I am finding that .308 hurts my shoulder a little more than when it did "back in the day."

I still see the bolt action rifle as a good general purpose long arm. If you are looking for a more military type arm, then I would have to say a Springfield M1A.

Mine would be the first rifle I bought with my paper route money and a little from Grandma.
An Interarms Mark X, Mannlicher Stock 30-06. My dad was into shotguns mostly and when we brought the '06 to the range and touched it off I started a mini arms race in my house. Brother went and bought a Remington 30-06 (model 70?) and dad refused to be outgunned. He picked up the same model Remington in 7mm Rem. Mag.

From your caliber list I would say: M1A or Remington 700 in .308.

My actual favoraite is the AR-15. I have a few and am in the process of building more. I like the virtually unlimited ammount of options that you have. From barrel length to caliber choice, you can make a rifle for any occasion.

There are a LOT of happy 30-30 owners in the U.S., but that wasn't one of your choices.

Zero experience with 30-30. I was born in Alaska and those were my options....well, Dad's options. Could I tell you which flavor he had? Not without asking him. I will, for the record. I'll post after I see him, in a couple weeks.

30-06 in a 1903 1917 or m1 the only one i havent had yet was the garand my 1903 was a botched sporter but still nice except for bubbas scope hole drilling adventure.

i hope to replace it one day the 1917 is a sporter but tastefully done i look forward to getting an all origional garand in the future as well.

Back
Top Bottom