• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Falmouth HS student brings handgun to school. Father loses LTC.

I think if I was the father, I'd rather the cops confiscate my son than my guns.

And it makes sense. After all, the father didn't fail to secure his guns, he failed to secure his son, and clearly isn't suitable to have one. Send the kid to the salt mines!

The dad gets no sympathy from me. He didn't raise his kid right and didn't properly store his gun - especially in light of how trustworthy his kid is.

His guns were stored in compliance with MA law/regs. So because his son broke into his gun cabinet, and took it UNLOADED (ie. where it CAN DO NO HARM) to school, you think it's OK that the cops have now stolen his property? You think it's OK that the cops have deprived this man of the best means of defending himself and his family?

Wow.

His guns were stored in compliance with MA law/regs. So because his son broke into his gun cabinet, and took it UNLOADED (ie. where it CAN DO NO HARM) to school, you think it's OK that the cops have now stolen his property? You think it's OK that the cops have deprived this man of the best means of defending himself and his family?

Wow.

Can do no harm? He could walk around school pistol whipping everyone and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

When will the confiscated guns be re distributed? Auction?
Stupid kid. Dad should have stressed to the kid how touchy the state is in regards to firearms. What are the chances either one will ever get an LTC on this state?

Bonded warehouse to be melted down so they cant kill any more people.

Another nice gun going to the scrap heap in the sky............... unless, "oops, did anyone see where that Colt went to?". I'm sure the local PDs have misplaced guns in the past.

The Falmouth Police Department has a very storied history of shady operation. Howey Carr touches upon that in his book about the Reine family shenanigans and how the police department allowed him to torch buildings and houses and murder a whole bunch of folks. Speak nothing of the cop that was shot (Buzby) having been thrown under the bus by his fellow officers. Nothing surprises me regarding the Falmouth P.D.

As for the kid......ultra stupid but the parent(s) need to somehow be held accountable for his actions. Hopefully the dad will get his LTC and weapons back but the likelyhood seems remote to my thinking.

so what they're saying is, if I follow all the laws, lock up all my guns, and someone defeats the measures they told me I had to take to secure them, I still broke some law?

I wonder how much time he had before the cops raided his house? I wonder if he had the time to bury one in the backyard. And would there be any more problems by doing so?

Also why couldnt he give 4 of his guns to a friend through FA-10's on the spot using the e-10's?

I wonder how much time he had before the cops raided his house? I wonder if he had the time to bury one in the backyard. And would there be any more problems by doing so?

Also why couldnt he give 4 of his guns to a friend through FA-10's on the spot using the e-10's?

The cops always get you by surprise. Do you think they called and said "hey dad, we will be by in a few hours to pick up your crap"? No, they ambush him and revoke his license on the spot (usually not following the law which requires it to be in writing) and then steal the guns. Usually requiring the owner to open the safes which is testimonial and again, not legal.

So no, I highly doubt he had time to call a friend to come get them. By design.

The cops always get you by surprise. Do you think they called and said "hey dad, we will be by in a few hours to pick up your crap"? No, they ambush him and revoke his license on the spot (usually not following the law which requires it to be in writing) and then steal the guns. Usually requiring the owner to open the safes which is testimonial and again, not legal.

So no, I highly doubt he had time to call a friend to come get them. By design.

And when he refuses and tells them to come back with a warrant for the contents of his safe while he contacts his attorney? And starts filling in some fa-10s for the loss of his firearms in a boating accident?

And when he refuses and tells them to come back with a warrant for the contents of his safe while he contacts his attorney? And starts filling in some fa-10s for the loss of his firearms in a boating accident?

I hope he has a strong door. They will claim exigency.

IMHO, no media coverage, no problem. The PD may have reacted differently in light of the situation. But, it's an election year and the anti's are out in full force so the media blows it up way out of proportion. COP over reacts to save face. This incident should not have hit the press.

"He's not one of the popular kids. A lot of the kids in some classes stick up for him, but he does get bullied a lot," student Kelly Ferreira said.

from the article http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/30483311/detail.html#ixzz1mfmaVcx6

That's the real issue here, sounds like the school did not handle the bullying problem they have, so the kid want to try to shut up the bullies. Now they can hang the Dad and sweep the bullying under the carpet. But school still has bullying to deal with, next kid may bring a loaded gun. I'm old, 54 but it seems to me the bullying issue keep getting worse, back in the day a fistfight by the bridge used to settle things. Now we try settle everything with talking with a shrink. [shocked]

I think that the father made the mistake of not properly educating his son about the consequences of his actions. My 11 year old son and I shoot all the time and he is well aware of the problems it would cause if he even brought an empty shell casing to school.

He thinks that the Mass laws are batshit crazy and wants to move to Vermont, but he knows how much trouble it would cause. He also knows that the police would be the least of his worries for indiscretion with firearms as I would ..... be angry.

It's too bad that the kid felt he needed to bring a gun to school to stop bullying. I would have slipped the kid a C note and told him to hire a senior to beat the bullys senseless. I am kidding of course. It would probably only cost $50

If what the father is saying is true he should be able to get his guns and LTC back but most likely wont because it is Massachusetts after all. I know it's all we have to go off of right now but for everyone to believe the father is telling the truth is ignorant to the fact that not everything people say is the truth. Lets not jump the gun and assume the father did nothing wrong just because that's what he said to the cops.

It probably didn't help that a couple kids were playing with a gun in Randolph last night and 1 shots himself dead, then they pull this kid out of school today. The gun could have been loaded just as easily as it was empty and we could be looking at child deaths in school. Getting a LTC is hard enough in Ma we really don't need this attention.

We as parents are responsible for wat are underage children do regardless of if it is a gun issue of they break into a home or store or cause some form of vandalism. As a parent you will be responsible for the cost of damages your under age children do

Last edited:
So if your kid steals some of your prescription drugs and brings them to school you are basically a dead man.

The teen, whose name was not released because he is a juvenile, is scheduled to be arraigned this morning in juvenile court on charges of possession of a firearm without a license and possession of a firearm on school grounds.

This indirectly makes another point. There is NO MA law against "possession of a firearm on school grounds", although there is a de-fact policy to mis-state 269-10j in this manner - sort of "repeat it this way enough and sooner or later everyone will believe it".

The offense is carrying a gun or other dangerous weapon ON ONE'S PERSON on school grounds - MGL 269-10j (an offense this kid appears to be guilty of), but the police are fond of stating the law as they wish it was worded than it actually is. When I asked the licensing officer in a very green town (a very helpful officer for gun owners to deal with) if he was aware of the limitation of 269-10j, he assured me that the ban on any possession on school grounds was "in there somewhere". And this was after he attended the Glidden seminar.

Which explains why he believes the ban is in there somewhere... [laugh]

Actually, Chief Glidden covered this point accurately. He coverage consisted of putting up a slide stating that carrying a weapon on one's person was a violation of the law. The only extra commentary was Glidden mentioning (correctly) that 269-10j has a much more expansive definition of firearm that includes any projectile launcher (including airsoft/bb). While the "on one's person" constraint was correctly mentioned on the slide, no discussion or explanation of that particular point was offered.

Unlike "common knowledge" as expoused by many PDs, Chief Glidden doesn't tend to make errors in the nuances (at least none that I could see).

Actually, Chief Glidden covered this point accurately. He coverage consisted of putting up a slide stating that carrying a weapon on one's person was a violation of the law. The only extra commentary was Glidden mentioning (correctly) that 269-10j has a much more expansive definition of firearm that includes any projectile launcher (including airsoft/bb). While the "on one's person" constraint was correctly mentioned on the slide, no discussion or explanation of that particular point was offered.

Unlike "common knowledge" as expoused by many PDs, Chief Glidden doesn't tend to make errors in the nuances (at least none that I could see).

My version was funnier... [grin]

BTW: A spit ball and straw adheres to the definition of weapon in §10(j).

Man that kid's going to be in a world of shit! Nice little gun too! I wonder if the father had an "arsenal" at home.

I've stressed over and over to my 12yr old son (going on 16) that he shouldn't never discuss guns, draw guns (kids a freaking artist!), targets, etc. at school. I explained how some people really don't understand that guns are not evil. He totally gets it, and understands that IF he ever disrespects the rules I've put to him, he'll never go target shooting again.

As far as that kid stealing the gun, I bet dad didn't teach him anything!

When I bought my safe, my son helped me bring it into the house. I had put the booklet for the safe on the desk with the combo showing for about a minute... Fifteen minutes later when I went to open the safe, my son rattled off the combo. I couldn't believe it! I trust him, BUT just to be sure, I've put a lock on the closet and fixed to hinges to be a non-removable hinge.

Moral of the story, You need to raise your kids right, this guy didn't.

I'd really like to know the real story behind the kids thinking and how he obtained the gun. It's entirely possible that the father SHOULD loose his license.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom