• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Eye pro woe

MetalliCorey

NES Member
So today at the range i think i figured out why i get headaches when i take my armson oeg out; its the damn glasses!

At home i can pull the sucker up, gain the dot, shift focus all around. And theres no issues floating the dot on anything. Dialed it in with the boresight and moved it to dif locatuons multiple times. More than 5 mins looking at the thing at the indoor range and i start getting a migrane in both temples. Theres still a chance the problem is the lighting at the range...

Ive got a 3m pair and some other set without manufacture label. Im sure both were just a handful of dollars, but both cause slight magnification, which i think is the problem

If youre not familiar, the armson oeg is the grandfather of the red dot. Its a pipe with a fiberoptic (maybe some kind of radioactive) thread, but when you gain the dot and have both your eyes open your sight ignores the optic but the dot is still there. Sory of an optical illusion

Looking for recomendations for a decent affordable pair, but also willing to look at top of the line. What do you yall like? Bonus points for links

Last edited:
Some local gun store had a recommendation for an optometrist who was a shooter and was apparently really good at prescribing eye pro for folks who needed correction. Damned if I recall which store but if anyone has that lead, I'd love it!

Im a fan of the wileyX sunglasses or clear glasses.
They are ballisticly rated.
WILEY X MEETS A HIGHER STANDARDWILEY X PROTECTIVE EYEWEAR MEETS ANSI Z87.1+, U.S. MIL VO BALLISTIC, AND MULTIPLE WORLDWIDE STANDARDS.When it comes to our troops and law enforcement officers, no amount of protection is too much. As an ISO 9001 certified company,we meet a higher standard than competitors’ “marketing claims.” Per required government specifications, and as outlined byANSI Z87.1+ safety standards, we continue to meet the government’s highest ballistic impact standards.

If memory serves, you shouldnt look thru the Armson for extended periods of time. It was designed for snap shooting.
Remember that you must fire immediately when the dot is on the target.
The Bindon aiming concept doesnt work as well after 10? seconds or so and forcing your eyes/brain to do it longer could be causing your headache.

I had a cheap pair of eyepro that gave me headaches. First thought it was glare, as the lenses did flare up even dimly lit rooms. But it was far simpler of an issue. They just pinched the sides of my head too much, made worse with wearing earpro.

I switched to cheap set of 3m. Sure, they aren't much better when it comes to sharpness or glare, but they are comfortable and I no longer get headaches. It is entirely possible you just need to find a more comfortable set to your head shape.

I had a cheap pair of eyepro that gave me headaches. First thought it was glare, as the lenses did flare up even dimly lit rooms. But it was far simpler of an issue. They just pinched the sides of my head too much, made worse with wearing earpro.

I switched to cheap set of 3m. Sure, they aren't much better when it comes to sharpness or glare, but they are comfortable and I no longer get headaches. It is entirely possible you just need to find a more comfortable set to your head shape.
Tips like this are why im reluctant to spend more than 100 bucks on glasses ill wear once or twice a month and an hour or less at a time. Also no5iced the more i spend on shades, the quicker i loose or break them😅

Usually shooting 9m i just wear squish buds, but with the 556 i do put on the big muffs. Could it be so simple? The headaches totally across the whole side of both temples

@Cap'n Mike I think theres some validty to your point too, i dont snap shoot on the armson. Ill try not to looks so long. But at home ive seen what you mean, where the focus can be on one point and the dot after a while will sort of arc or bob.

Holy $%^&, a problem solved on NES in 6 posts and less than 90 minutes!

Thanks!
Im still looking for decent eyepro so i wouldnt call the case closed. 3m were the ones i was using today. They have some magnification, which colud be an issue

Contrary to the 2nd post, im frugal not poor, so keep the recomendations pouring in til... at least 6pm😵‍💫

This set, with 2 pair from @Cap'n Mike link. A set of clear too nice to be work glasses, and a pair of shaded just ugly enough not to be fashionable

Last edited:
Some local gun store had a recommendation for an optometrist who was a shooter and was apparently really good at prescribing eye pro for folks who needed correction. Damned if I recall which store but if anyone has that lead, I'd love it!
@Idoktr is excellent, as is Dr Steve Perryman at Hopkinton Vision. I know @idocktr has personal experience using red dots on his guns and is very active in USPSA matches.

Tips like this are why im reluctant to spend more than 100 bucks on glasses ill wear once or twice a month and an hour or less at a time. Also no5iced the more i spend on shades, the quicker i loose or break them😅

Usually shooting 9m i just wear squish buds, but with the 556 i do put on the big muffs. Could it be so simple? The headaches totally across the whole side of both temples

@Cap'n Mike I think theres some validty to your point too, i dont snap shoot on the armson. Ill try not to looks so long. But at home ive seen what you mean, where the focus can be on one point and the dot after a while will sort of arc or bob.

The one time I spent $$ on glasses was on a set of Oakleys specifically purchased for a deep sea fishing tour. Out on the boat, I drop cast and feel a nibble. I look over the rail to check the line and watch as the oakleys slide off my head and sink into the unusually flat ocean water. Gave me a good 20 feet or so show of the glasses sinking to the bottom of the ocean. So yeah, I'm with you on being hesitant on spending big money on glasses again.

But finding a comfortable set with as low distortion and glare is difficult, as safety glasses aren't exactly sold the same way as sun glasses. I don't think you can find them at Sunglass Hut. Wonder if one could try them out at like a Grainger or HD? Never thought to see if they have them there.

On the same note, i was kyaking one time, stopped at a small island, just walking around exploring a little. Something reflecting in the reeds caught my eye and bam, $200+ pair of maui jim sunglasses just sitting there in the sand. Jahova jiro i guess, had them 3yrs and counting

I'm going to try some of these. I get headaches from wearing the eye pro with hear pro over it. Independently they are just fine, but the combination of the hear pro squeezing the glasses into my head is like a vise. These look dorky but if they solve it I don't care, lol. Just worried about fogging.

Amazon product ASIN B07DKFW2MSView: https://www.amazon.com/Gateway-Safety-22ST79-Silverton-Version/dp/B07DKFW2MS/ref=pd_ybh_a_sccl_32/146-8614990-1495328?pd_rd_w=NAH82&content-id=amzn1.sym.67f8cf21-ade4-4299-b433-69e404eeecf1&pf_rd_p=67f8cf21-ade4-4299-b433-69e404eeecf1&pf_rd_r=58XMKAGSGKKSW1RV3VXC&pd_rd_wg=UtUOM&pd_rd_r=1deddc94-7ff7-43a2-8aa2-c5b4a5b62e8d&pd_rd_i=B07DKFW2MS&th=1

I'm going to try some of these. I get headaches from wearing the eye pro with hear pro over it. Independently they are just fine, but the combination of the hear pro squeezing the glasses into my head is like a vise. These look dorky but if they solve it I don't care, lol. Just worried about fogging.

Amazon product ASIN B07DKFW2MSView: https://www.amazon.com/Gateway-Safety-22ST79-Silverton-Version/dp/B07DKFW2MS/ref=pd_ybh_a_sccl_32/146-8614990-1495328?pd_rd_w=NAH82&content-id=amzn1.sym.67f8cf21-ade4-4299-b433-69e404eeecf1&pf_rd_p=67f8cf21-ade4-4299-b433-69e404eeecf1&pf_rd_r=58XMKAGSGKKSW1RV3VXC&pd_rd_wg=UtUOM&pd_rd_r=1deddc94-7ff7-43a2-8aa2-c5b4a5b62e8d&pd_rd_i=B07DKFW2MS&th=1
That strap idea is solid! One problem I have is the temples of eye pro (or glasses) making the ear pro less effective. That guy next to you with the short barreled .308 and the really loud break, the noise crawls in around the gaps created by the temples of the glasses. Those straps probably also help the ear pro.

Last edited:
Huge fan of the Wiley X glasses. The lenses are interchangeable, but I picked up 2 pairs so I didn’t have to. One is clear for night shooting, indoor, or cloudy days. While the other is dark for those real sunny days.

As SIGNES points out any sunglasses with normal arms can lead to a gap in the ear pro seal. The ear pro also pushes on those arms making them less comfortable to wear for long periods. The Wiley X arms can be changed out for a strap and it is marvelous. So comfortable, good retention, better seal from the muffs, and no head pain. Clarity is also excellent with Wiley.

Mine are the Saber Advanced

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom