Eastern States Show - Bullet Proof Vest Purchase Warning! CRITICAL

Hooper

NES Member
Good Afternoon All:

I wanted to give a heads up to folks who may have purchased a surplus bullet proof vest at the show this weekend from Defensive Products International at the Eastern States Gun Show in West Springfield. I picked up a surplus PACA vest thinking it was Kevlar, (was told it was). Turns out when I got home and looked up the model # it's made from Zylon. Zylon vests were recalled years ago in a massive class action because of degradation issues. $40 million dollar settlement on a bad product and absolutely unsafe! A quick google search will tell you more than you want to know!

I hope the forum moderator will let this post stay in the general forum as most people will see it and this is so important. PLEASE check your vest and make sure it's NOT a Zylon product. I will be reaching out to the company that sold it tomorrow for an exchange or refund. I'll let you know what happens. Thank goodness for credit card payments.

Best,

Hooper

Sorry to say it but you should have known what you were purchasing and the correct term(s) are body armor or ballistic vest and unless your LEO you're not suppose to have it.

UM WHAT? [rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes] Jesus, I love when people don't know what they are talking about and walk around telling others false information

Sorry to say it but you should have known what you were purchasing and the correct term(s) are body armor or ballistic vest and unless your LEO you're not suppose to have it.

Who brought this a**h*** to the party??

The guy was simply warning the community here that a company is selling bad products. He made a mistake and purchased it with out thoroughly checking it out so now he is passing the word on so the rest of us don't make the same mistake. Thank you Hooper!

I love how you attempt to correct the phrasing in the 1st part of your sentence and then make up shit at the end.

Classic.

I think those vests were recalled when some of us were still wearing diapers, but still good info regardless.

ETA: For what its worth not all of those zylon vests failed. The problem was, IIRC, that vests that got exposed to a lot of sweat and humidity got degraded. Not something I would wear, though... fun to shoot at the range if you get them on the cheap, though.

-Mike

Last edited:
I really hope you're just new to our world, and just trying to help with what you thought was good information. If so, thanks, but be sure it's correct, and not what you heard from your buddies, or at the gun shop.

My SINCERE appologies to Hooper and everyone else. 2 forums going at the same time and using speech software.

First it was tapatalk and now people are talking posts into NES? I'm awaiting the flood of accidentally reported posts. [laugh]

-Mike

I really hope you're just new to our world, and just trying to help with what you thought was good information. If so, thanks, but be sure it's correct, and not what you heard from your buddies, or at the gun shop.

Hi Billsail - Are you referring to my post or Ranger's?

Last edited:
BTW, for those interested: This is from the Department of Justice

Office of the Director Washington, D.C. 20530

NIJ Body Armor Standard Advisory Notice #01-2005

EFFECTIVE DATE: AUGUST 24, 2005
SUBJECT: Poly-p-phenylene benzobisoxazole (PBO or Zylon[SUP]®[/SUP])

The National Institute of Justice (NIJ) hereby advises that it has identified poly-p-phenylene benzobisoxazole (commonly known as PBO or Zylon[SUP]®[/SUP]) as a material that appears to create a risk of death or serious injury as a result of degraded ballistic performance when used in body armor. This is an NIJ Body Armor Standard Advisory Notice within the meaning of the NIJ 2005 Interim Requirements for Bullet-Resistant Body Armor (effective September 26, 2005).

For Further Information, Contact:
Lance Miller
National Law Enforcement and Corrections Technology Center
2277 Research Boulevard
Mail Stop 8-J
Rockville, MD 20850
(301) 519-5472
E-Mail: [email protected]

Supplementary Information:
Information about NIJ’s 2005 Interim Requirements for Bullet-Resistant Body Armor can be found at http://www.justnet.org. NIJ’s research and testing reports in response to the Attorney General’s Body Armor Safety Initiative can be found at: https://vests.ojp.gov.

NIJ encourages public safety officers to continue to wear their Zylon[SUP]®[/SUP]-containing armor until it is replaced. Wearing armor that may have degraded ballistic performance is better than not wearing any armor

- - - Updated - - -

And this is an article about the settlement

"DHB Industries Inc. agrees to pay $45 million over Zylon vests

BY JAMES BERNSTEIN. STAFF WRITER

Copyright 2006 Newsday, Inc.

Florida subsidiaries of Westbury-based DHB Industries Inc. have agreed to spend more than $45 million to settle nationwide class-action suits over body armor vests containing the fiber Zylon.

The Atlanta law firm of Carr, Tabb & Pope Llp said yesterday that the Seventeenth Judicial Circuit Court of Broward County, Fla., issued a final approval order granting a product recall and a replacement of the bullet-resistant vests manufactured by Point Blank Body Armor Inc. and Protective Apparel Corporation of America Inc.

The law firm said that the settlement entitles all purchasers and owners of Point Blank, PACA and Galls brand vests containing Zylon to receive new, non-Zylon replacement vests and other benefits.

Additionally, the firm said, the companies must conduct substantial tests of their used body armor and make testing data, protocols and other information available to consumers.

Plaintiffs included the Southern States Police Benevolent Association and members of the Ohio Troopers Coalition.

In September, DHB was hit with a rash of shareholder lawsuits after it disclosed that it had set aside as much as $60 million to replace vests made from Zylon, a fiber that a U.S. Justice Department testing division said did not meet federal safety standards.

The suits allege that DHB must have known much earlier that the safety of the Zylon vests had come into question, and that the company misled investors by failing to make such disclosures.

David Cohen, an attorney with Carr, Tabb & Pope Llp, said that DHB agreed to the settlement.

Larry Ellis, DHB's president, said that the company has already begun removing Zylon vests from its inventory and supplying purchasers with non-Zylon vests. "This was all about trying to do the right thing," said Ellis, a retired U.S. Army general. "This has been ongoing. This is not new. As far as Zylon is concerned, we're finished."

Cohen said the DHB companies had manufactured more than 80,000 vests containing Zylon between 2000 and 2005. He said that the vests were sold throughout the country, including in New York State.

"We believe that Zylon was rushed to the market," Cohen said in an interview.

Carr, Tabb & Pope Llp has obtained settlements in other Zylon-related suits. In October, the firm secured a settlement with Armor Holdings Inc., providing a total economic value of $65 million to purchasers of vests made by American Body Armor, Safariland and Protech.

In September, the firm secured a $29 million settlement with Toyobo Co. Ltd. and Toyobo America Inc. on behalf of buyers of vests by Second Chance."

OP - UPDATE

I heard from the company who apologized for selling the vest and actually admitted they shouldn't have. I got this by email last night:

"My distributor should never have given us Zylon. They mush have gotten through the screening process. I apologize for them"

They said they will provide a refund. I will take them at their word.

Thanks for all the comments. I am glad this will be resolved. They had told me they sold a lot at the show so hopefully nobody else is effected.

It's good that they are acknowledging the "mistake", but I would personally rather that they replace it with a decent replacement, because I'm assuming that you wanted a vest, which is why you bought one in the first place, not the money.

Is this the same guy at the other shows with the table full of old armor in new carriers, and steel armor plates?

Back
Top Bottom