e-FA10. It's officially a mess!

Keep in mind Ross that that will what they consider to be a 2 business days, not what you would consider to be a 2 business days. [thinking]

Yeah, exactly how many hours/days a week are these people "working"? I'm thinking Friday's right with the dog years........2 weeks sounds about right to me (although perhaps still a bit optimistic).

When you try to call them to request forms, the system hangs up on you when you try to get to a live human being or to leave a message.

Nice.

Ah... It went through the second time and the recording states that they will return my call within two business days. Are they f'ing kidding me?

funny, the CHSB memo said they were available Mon-Fri 9 to 5 [rolleyes]

I bought a gun via pdf printed FA-10 Sunday. It's been mailed. Are you guys saying they are not going to accept it? Will they send it back to the seller? I had a gun for sale in the classifieds that I deleted until I know if we can still use pdf FA-10.

I went to my local PD to get a FA-10. The PO told me to either download a FA-10 or use the
Massachusetts Firearms Registration and Transfer System web site
I used the link above to transfer/sell a firearm. Could not have been easier.

Massachusetts FARTS?

Keep in mind Ross that that will what they consider to be a 2 business days, not what you would consider to be a 2 business days. [thinking]

There are 365 days this year.

There are 52 weeks per year in which the one CHSB worker that answers the phone already has 2 days off per week, leaving 261 days available for work.

Since he spends 16 hours each day away from work, he has used up 170 days, leaving only 91 days available.

He spends 30 minutes each day on coffee break. That accounts for 23 days each year, leaving only 68 days available.

With a one hour lunch period each day, he uses up another 46 days, leaving only 22 days available for work.

He normally spends 2 days per year on sick leave. This leaves him only 20 days available for work.

He's off for 5 holidays per year, so his available working time is down to 15 days.

The CHSB generously gives him 14 days vacation per year which leaves only one day available for work.

So Ross, your request will be handled within the next 2 to 4 years, depending if your request or the other gent's is processed first.

I bought a gun via pdf printed FA-10 Sunday. It's been mailed. Are you guys saying they are not going to accept it? Will they send it back to the seller? I had a gun for sale in the classifieds that I deleted until I know if we can still use pdf FA-10.

Why are people so worried about this? The law says, basically, fill out the form and mail it in.

THAT'S IT - you've complied with the law. END OF STORY.

The PDF form was provided by the CHSB, per the law, hence using it should be fine, even though some people don't like it.

Why are people so worried about this? The law says, basically, fill out the form and mail it in.

THAT'S IT - you've complied with the law. END OF STORY.

The PDF form was provided by the CHSB, per the law, hence using it should be fine, even though some people don't like it.

Not anymore. Read the letter to Goal. It states "in the near future they will be returning pdf printed FA-10's." They cite the law stating that you must use FA-10's provided by them. They removed the pdf link from their website which according to them means they did not provide the FA-10. I realize this is fishy. They probably notified Goal to get a reaction.

They should at least post a hard date for refusal of FA-10's. What the he** is the near future.
The first one who gets an FA-10 returned let us know.

Last edited:
Not anymore. Read the letter to Goal. It states "in the near future they will be returning pdf printed FA-10's." They cite the law stating that you must use FA-10's provided by them. They removed the pdf link from their website which according to them means they did not provide the FA-10. I realize this is fishy. They probably notified Goal to get a reaction.

They should at least post a hard date for refusal of FA-10's. What the he** is the near future.
The CHSB feels no requirement upon them to comply with the law or interpret it narrowly in line with legislative intent or judicial review.

They will claim what ever they feel like to create the law the governor wants but cannot get the legislature to create.

So, unfortunately, there is little comfort in the letter of the law.

Who'll be the first to ask their local PD, or the receptionist at the CHSB in Chelsea, to use one of their computers to fill out an eFA-10 form?

I still don't get how this thing is supposed to work. You'd have to both be at a computer or hope the seller can remember to send you a copy of the form later on. Also what's the deal with the PDF copy it provides you being password protected? Did anyone ever figure out what the password is?

I still don't get how this thing is supposed to work. You'd have to both be at a computer or hope the seller can remember to send you a copy of the form later on. Also what's the deal with the PDF copy it provides you being password protected? Did anyone ever figure out what the password is?

I think the password is FU2A [hmmm]

When I talked to them earlier after seeing GOAL's site, I asked them about the FA-10s I mailed out the other day. I was told they "most likely will be accepted" and I probably "just squeezed in past the cut off" but was not given a hard and fast date. Based on that, maybe 11/1/11?

The letter said in the near future they will be returning them. This is most likely a scare tactic, anyway the law says fill in, mail in. If they send it back, consider it your proof of receipt. The PDF FA-10 was provided by them. The forms are identical anyway.

Also, this was a letter to GOAL and posted here. This by no means justifies as any kind of widespread notification to anyone. You see in their carefully worded letter, they say that they removed the link on their site. They also said they would send it back with a notice about the E-FA10 or info on how to get another FA10 to fill out again (note: they won't simply send you a FA-10 to fill out). They are making it extra burdensome.

Either someone at FRB has an ego problem and this is them trying to exact micro-control, they have some new scheme of wide tracking thus need the serial #'d forms, or they want to be as large of a PITA as possible. My money is on all 3.

This is exactly the FUD (FEAR uncertainty and doubt) that they are trying to provoke. [thinking]

Last edited:
I still don't get how this thing is supposed to work. . . .

It is supposed to work in such a way to produce one of the following outcomes:

1) You become so frustrated that you simply give up and stop buying guns.
2) You become so confused that you inadvertently break a law, thus giving them the needed excuse to remove you when they so choose.
3) You don't give up, don't make any mistakes but the process is so burdensome that you buy less.
4) You leave the state, taking your filthy nasty guns with you.

There is no sane rationalization for the BS being foist upon us.

Oh yes there is. Deval Patrick has been unable to screw gun owners as much as he wants to because the legislature won't pass his bills. So instead he is having the executive branch screw us as much as they can without new legislation. Jason Guida is following orders from the top.

It is supposed to work in such a way to produce one of the following outcomes:

1) You become so frustrated that you simply give up and stop buying guns.
2) You become so confused that you inadvertently break a law, thus giving them the needed excuse to remove you when they so choose.
3) You don't give up, don't make any mistakes but the process is so burdensome that you buy less.
4) You leave the state, taking your filthy nasty guns with you.

No I get that stuff, they're evil gun grabbing DB's. I'm just trying to think through logically how such a system could work, but maybe that's my problem.

Don't ever attempt to apply logic to anything this state does, your brain will explode.

-Mike

Oh yes there is. Deval Patrick has been unable to screw gun owners as much as he wants to because the legislature won't pass his bills. So instead he is having the executive branch screw us as much as they can without new legislation. Jason Guida is following orders from the top.

This is the way I see it too. I don't think these memos, pronouncements, policy changes, etc. are being done by the worker bees w/o orders from the "top"!

This is the way I see it too. I don't think these memos, pronouncements, policy changes, etc. are being done by the worker bees w/o orders from the "top"!

Not that anyone will admit it, though.

... in their carefully worded letter, they say that they removed the link on their site. They also said they would send it back with a notice about the E-FA10 or info on how to get another FA10 to fill out again (note: they won't simply send you a FA-10 to fill out). They are making it extra burdensome.

Either someone at FRB has an ego problem and this is them trying to exact micro-control, they have some new scheme of wide tracking thus need the serial #'d forms, or they want to be as large of a PITA as possible. My money is on all 3.

Good point. If they can mail the letter, include a form at the same time.

When is the all night, week long protest outside Deval's and Guida's houses?

I went to my local PD this morning to try to get a form...
Not surprisingly a few people there didn't even know what an FA-10 form was... (there is apparently one guy at the station who knows what they are, I had to call him last night to make sure they would have some available).

The form I was given was quite clearly just a photocopy of the pdf FA-10 form.... no serial numbers or anything. So I just said screw it and mailed in the printed copy I had with me.... I guess I will wait and see if it is returned.

In the mean time I'll send an email to the chief with a link to the letter that was sent to GOAL.

I went to my local PD this morning to try to get a form...
Not surprisingly a few people there didn't even know what an FA-10 form was... (there is apparently one guy at the station who knows what they are, I had to call him last night to make sure they would have some available).

The form I was given was quite clearly just a photocopy of the pdf FA-10 form.... no serial numbers or anything. So I just said screw it and mailed in the printed copy I had with me.... I guess I will wait and see if it is returned.

In the mean time I'll send an email to the chief with a link to the letter that was sent to GOAL.

My town has a big stack of them, but the next town over just has a note on the "forms box" that says to go online and print them. I asked the person working why they didnt have any, and was told "the CHSB doesn't give those out to police departments any more". I made mention of that to the girl at CHSB I talked to the other day. She took down the PD info, and said she would send some forms and a note telling the PD they can ask for them and to make them available.

Back
Top Bottom