e-FA10. It's officially a mess!

However, if there's an executor of his will, the executor can decide what goes to whom, including saying that "all the guns go to JoshH in MA" There doesn't need to be an official will naming each gun explicitly. You can inherit lots of stuff that isn't named explicitly, even without a will. That's what executors do.

There was no will, therefore there is no executor/executrix.

There was no will, therefore there is no executor/executrix.

Even if there isn't a will, the court can and usually will appoint an executor/executrix to handle the disposition of the estate. In Mass, even if the will explicitly names an executor/executrix the court still issues an official appointment of that person. Been through it several times in a couple of states recently. It's significantly more complicated than just noting that the deceased didn't leave a will, so we'll pause for a moment to divvy up his gear.

Ken

The state cares in direct proportion to the deceased's wealth.

They couldn't care less when my penniless tenant passed away ~ 10 years ago, leaving $40k in revolving credit, some worthless packrat junk and a crappy car someone eventually stole for the scrap iron.

Die without a will, but you own a nice house, a decent car and have a few grand in the bank and they *will* find out and take "their" share of the pie.

i suppose that would work. i have no intention to carry them and they all (except one rifle) will go to my kids once they are of age/licensed. maybe i'll just pursue "registering" the rifle i intend to keep in MA.

the fact that anyone who is licensed to have these firearms and they are "compliant" yet still has to go through this is stupid. why they cant just be registered to a new legal owner makes no sense.

Last edited:
Thread went a bit off topic, eh? ...........

Well then, based on that it would seem that you DO need to have both parties present at a computer with internet access to complete the transaction, if the validation certificate is basically worthless / could be forged.

Same thing with fake ID's at bars, etc. You did your part by asking/looking, you are not the state licensing authority, you are not required by any and all possible means and to the extent that any doubt is extinguished in verified certainty to do anything.

You asked, they showed you, it looked good, your done.

I don't know why people seem to want to add more 'control' and crap then there even exists. Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer it if there was no record keeping/transfer/paperwork AT ALL for your personal property, and I am certainly not going go out of my way to add all of these 'validation checks' and other BS.

Last edited:
Hah, why bother opening when you could just do `awk $data | sed s/\t/,/; >> screwed_gun_owners.txt`...
Oh wait, that's too efficient for the .gov. They would open the file, copy the contents, insert the row about mid way up the file and then diff the old file with the new one to determine what to insert for the transaction log....

...... And host it on an old Gen2 proliant running win2000 off of a single IDE drive.

...I don't know why people seem to want to add more 'control' and crap then there even exists. Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer it if there was no record keeping/transfer/paperwork AT ALL for your personal property, and I am certainly not going go out of my way to add all of these 'validation checks' and other BS.

1. Aren't you in NH? I thought they don't have this stuff up there.

2. See post 125.

Same thing with fake ID's at bars, etc. You did your part by asking/looking, you are not the state licensing authority, you are not required by any and all possible means and to the extent that any doubt is extinguished in verified certainty to do anything.

You asked, they showed you, it looked good, your done.

I don't know why people seem to want to add more 'control' and crap then there even exists. Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer it if there was no record keeping/transfer/paperwork AT ALL for your personal property, and I am certainly not going go out of my way to add all of these 'validation checks' and other BS.

Valid points, I guess it isn't any different than it was before with the paper FA-10s. And I agree with you 100% on the last part, I do not like this FA-10 nonsense. Like GOAL pointed out, the CHSB/FRB has no authority to create a database of legally possessed guns. So what are they doing with all these FA-10s anyway? Checking that the parties' licenses are valid? Then what happens? What about when you file one on the rifle you bought out of state and brought in to MA? What about the one you file when you assemble an AR15 lower into a complete rifle? I can bet you that they have been entering this all into a database, with or without the legal authority to do so.

If the sole lawful purpose of the FA-10 is to ensure the appropriate licenses are held, then obviously the FA-10 system has triggered the arrest and prosecution of probably hundreds if not thousands of people that tried to file transfers without having licenses.

I'm sure most Dorchester Trunk Sales of 9mm pistols are reported via FA-10 (because even career criminals don't want to draw attention to themselves by not complying with something so simple!).

Where are the arrests? And if there haven't been any then clearly the system isn't accomplishing what it was intended to do and should be dismantled.

If the sole lawful purpose of the FA-10 is to ensure the appropriate licenses are held, then obviously the FA-10 system has triggered the arrest and prosecution of probably hundreds if not thousands of people that tried to file transfers without having licenses.

I'm sure most Dorchester Trunk Sales of 9mm pistols are reported via FA-10 (because even career criminals don't want to draw attention to themselves by not complying with something so simple!).

Where are the arrests? And if there haven't been any then clearly the system isn't accomplishing what it was intended to do and should be dismantled.

It simply needs to be dismantled. Another way to harass legal owners. Trunk sales are exempt from FA-10, making life much easier. [thinking]

If the purpose is making sure licenses are valid, they don't need any details about the guns being transferred, because that has nothing to do with the license validity... it's all a farce.

End it now.

really? I have heard that your local COP gets reports or some kind of notification when you register guns. Its possible I misunderstood something....

] Like GOAL pointed out, the CHSB/FRB has no authority to create a database of legally possessed guns. So what are they doing with all these FA-10s anyway? Checking that the parties' licenses are valid? Then what happens? What about when you file one on the rifle you bought out of state and brought in to MA? What about the one you file when you assemble an AR15 lower into a complete rifle? I can bet you that they have been entering this all into a database, with or without the legal authority to do so.

So, was this "e-FA10" ever actually announced? Anywhere other than here on NES, that is? Or was this all just some beta/setup/testbed thing which just went away again?

Excuse my ignorance. I'm not from ma, but isn't the major part of the problem that the printed ones also went away? and aren't they serial numbered, so you aren't supposed to just photocopy them? Is that right?

So does that mean the police stations will be stocking the official 3 part form?

If they don't, please call the FRB and have them send some, as a matter of fact we should all call the FRB and request some, just saying...

Guida only gave you guys 25 forms? What a skinflint. IF they are "banning" the PDF from this day forward, then they need to make the "real" forms readily available... that's what started this whole s**tstorm.

-Mike

Oh, the incompetence.

So has anyone successfully used this in a transfer? I know it's not recommended, but what exactly is the process? Are we supposed to be in front of a computer during the transaction, or do we fill it out ahead of time and sign during the transfer?

The "Firearms License Validation" still generates a password-protected PDF. [rofl] Taxpayer dollars hard at work.

So does that mean the police stations will be stocking the official 3 part form?

Fat chance of that. Many PDs just tell people "it's online, go to the state website"!

...making it illegal to make a private sale/purchase one glitch at a time. [puke]
Yup, I'm sure that the 25 FA-10s that they so generously sent to GOAL will be more than adequate to support the needs of every LTC-holder in the state! [devil2] [angry2]

Yup, they will likely NEVER address the security concerns raised here or by GOAL and others. No reason for them to do so as they are impervious to any breaches which jeopardizes the public (identity theft) . . . there is no way to hold anyone responsible for damages . . . gov't is never "at fault"! [angry] [rolleyes]

The way the law is written, giving the state the power to demand ANYTHING they like on the forms, to only allow what they want to allow, etc. . . . it makes it all nice and legal.

The only thing that will work (and has before) is "political heat". GOAL should contact our friends like Rep. George Peterson, etc. and then "turn us on" to do likewise, to turn up the heat under these turkeys to do the right thing, change the website, address the security concerns, and supply paper forms in quantity to every PD in MA.

from the letter: "... In the near future we will be returning all paper forms not on the 3-part form and including information on the E form and how to get the form from the PD." [I summarized]

So, 1) Why not return a real 3 part form instead of pushing for the E-form and informing where you can get the form?

2) The requirement by law, if I am correct, is that you mail in the form. Period. You mail it, they mail it back, your done.

??? Other then the obvious push to automate collection of people's information via the E-form, etc. am I missing anything?

Back
Top Bottom