• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transfer a preban pistol to Ma but the FFL said it's not on the list

Looking to transfer a Tec-9 from 1983 from out of state to Ma and my usual FFL said they can't do it because it wasn't in Ma before 9/93. I understand some FFls go by build date and others go by when it was registered in Ma. Where can I find A FFl that will transfer this or am I confused? I don't really want to call every FFl on the south coast of Massachusetts.

If the firearm was purchased/registered in Mass before the ban, then it can come back to Mass, not the build date. That's what was told by my FFL.

Last edited:
Some FFLs have told me that it needed to have stayed here the whole time. I just found a different FFL.

There are some FFLs here that post from the south coast.

Looking to transfer a Tec-9 from 1983 from out of state to Ma and my usual FFL said they can't do it because it wasn't in Ma before 9/93. I understand some FFls go by build date and others go by when it was registered in Ma. Where can I find A FFl that will transfer this or am I confused? I don't really want to call every FFl on the south coast of Massachusetts.
Plenty of FFLs in Littleton understand the law and therefore will do this PERFECTLY LEGAL transfer

You dont want to call every FFL, but if you visit a few in person, you may find what your looking for.

Looking to transfer a Tec-9 from 1983 from out of state to Ma and my usual FFL said they can't do it because it wasn't in Ma before 9/94. I understand some FFls go by build date and others go by when it was registered in Ma. Where can I find A FFl that will transfer this or am I confused? I don't really want to call every FFl on the south coast of Massachusetts.

For pistols there are two things to consider.

1. AWB. For this, you just need to worry about the 9/93 date. It doesn’t matter if it was in the state or not at the time. It just needs to have been lawfully possessed by someone or some company, somewhere in the U.S.

2. Approved Firearm Roster. Because it’s a pistol, you also need to worry about this approved firearm roster. It was made before the 1998 cutoff, however the roster law is specific that it needed to be possessed in Massachusetts before the pre-roster date. If you can’t prove that, then an FFL isn’t likely to bring it in as a complete firearm.

Your option is to get a second FFL (an 07 FFL) into the mix to turn it into parts to transfer just the receiver to a MA FFL. Both FFLs can be located in MA.

Last edited:
I'm afraid to go to the mill in Littleton, I don't need that much temptation 😁. So that is where I should focus? Hopi5gor something closer.
It’s worth the drive if you’re having issues finding a dealer who actually knows the law. I drive an hour each way to the mill without even thinking twice.

For pistols there are two things to consider.

1. AWB. For this, you just need to worry about the 9/93 date. It doesn’t matter if it was in the state or not at the time. It just needs to have been lawfully possessed by someone or some company, somewhere in the U.S.

2. Approved Firearm Roster. Because it’s a pistol, you also need to worry about this approved firearm roster. It was made before the 1998 cutoff, however the roster law is specific that it needed to be possessed in Massachusetts before the pre-roster date. If you can’t prove that, then an FFL isn’t likely to bring it in as a complete firearm.

Your option is to get a second FFL (an 07 FFL) into the mix to turn it into parts to transfer just the receiver to a MA FFL. Both FFLs can be located in MA.
9/93?

Some FFLs have told me that it needed to have stayed here the whole time. I just found a different FFL.

There are some FFLs here that post from the south coast.
They told you wrong as you probably found out

Last edited:
I'm afraid to go to the mill in Littleton, I don't need that much temptation 😁. So that is where I should focus? Hoping for something closer.
Got to the ATM, withdraw the amount of money you're comfortable with spending, then LEAVE YOUR CARDS AND CHECKS AT HOME and go visit. All you need is LTC/ID and the couple or few hundred bucks you're chancing.

who is the ffl - just to keep the list updated, of whom to never use?

This FFL hasn’t done anything wrong. This is 100% a valid concern for an FFL to not transfer. Either the seller sends just the receiver, or you need two FFLs with one being an 07.

Edit: although re-reading, I realize the FFL is indeed mixed up about it needing to be in MA prior to the AWB, rather than needing to have been in MA prior to the approved firearm rosters.

He is a great guy (FFL), I can't blame him if he is not comfortable. You never know what is going to happen next in the great People's Republic of Massachusetts. Wouldn't want to be forced to do something that I didn't want to do.

He is a great guy (FFL), I can't blame him if he is not comfortable. You never know what is going to happen next in the great People's Republic of Massachusetts. Wouldn't want to be forced to do something that I didn't want to do.
No one wants to help you when you defend you FFL who is a cuck

I assume this is a pistol (roster) problem and not a rifle issue
Even "cucked" FFLs transfer clear pre ban rifles

Back
Top Bottom