• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dry firing your gun?

My first snap cap. Figured it would be helpful when familiarizing myself with a completely unknown to me system.
20150511_182515_zpsmijw15wz.jpg.html

http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/MGnoob/media/20150511_182515_zpsmijw15wz.jpg.html

Unless the manual says you can.... for example, Ruger MK III, 22/45, and Ruger 10/22....
Dry firing a Ruger Mark II/II is no less harmful to the gun than any other rimfire.... unfortunately Ruger designed a pistol that requires you to pull the trigger to drop the hammer in order to assemble/disassemble the pistol.... I do not think that dry firing the Ruger for "dry fire practice" is recommended or advisable.

Dry firing a Ruger Mark II/II is no less harmful to the gun than any other rimfire.... unfortunately Ruger designed a pistol that requires you to pull the trigger to drop the hammer in order to assemble/disassemble the pistol.... I do not think that dry firing the Ruger for "dry fire practice" is recommended or advisable.

Both the Mk III (including 22/45) and 10/22 have firing pin stop pins which prevent the firing pin from contacting the chamber - which necessarily makes it less harmful than any rimfire that does not have a stop pin or similar feature.

http://www.ruger.com/service/FAQs.html#Q31
faqQuestion.gif
Can I dry fire my Ruger rifle?
Yes. All Ruger rifles can be dry fired without damage, and dry firing can be useful to familiarize the owner with the firearm. However, be sure any firearm is completely unloaded before dry firing!

http://www.ruger.com/service/FAQs.html#Q114
faqQuestion.gif
Can I dry fire my Mark III pistol?
Yes. The Mark III has a firing pin stop that prevents the firing pin from contacting the rear of the barrel and damaging the edge of the chamber. If you are going to dry fire the pistol extensively, the stop pin and firing pin will eventually wear and contact could occur, and we recommend replacing both the firing pin and the firing pin stop from time to time. You should also monitor the contact of the firing pin with the rear of the barrel.

When I go to do lots of dry fire practice with my Mk III, I insert an empty case in the chamber with part of the rim ground off so I don't have to keep launching and reloading snap caps. But if I'm just going to take a couple shots I don't bother.

Not all firearms are the same,I have dry fired my SIG&S&W with no problems but some other firearms like 22's,Star,CZ ETC. have problems like weak firing pin that will break if the firearm is dry fired. Use snap caps because dry firing is very important for firearm training.

The guy from Glock store says its OK to Dry fire you Glock till the cows come home. I dry fire around 20,000 times a day.

If I had a gun I couldn't dry fire, I would question how robust it was with a round in the chamber. Fo Rizzle. Think about it.

From Ruger Service Representative on RugerForum.net :

Q. Can I dry fire my Mark III pistol?
A. Yes. The Mark III has a firing pin stop that prevents the firing pin from contacting the rear of the barrel and damaging the edge of the chamber. If you are going to dry fire the pistol extensively, the stop pin and firing pin will eventually wear and contact could occur, and we recommend replacing both the firing pin and the firing pin stop from time to time. You should also monitor the contact of the firing pin with the rear of the barrel.

The guy from Glock store says its OK to Dry fire you Glock till the cows come home. I dry fire around 20,000 times a day.

Really?

To dry fire a Glock, you have to cycle the slide. So say it takes you 1 second per dry fire (that is probably being optimistic -- more likely several seconds). So 20,000 dry fires at 1 second per day, that is about 5 1/2 hours per day of dry firing.

I'm going to guess that you don't dry fire 20,000 times per day. Not even 1,000 times per day.

Who has the patience to load a mag full of those faggy snap caps every time they want to dry fire a gun? Yeesh!

If I had a gun I couldn't dry fire, I would question how robust it was with a round in the chamber. Fo Rizzle. Think about it.

I think at least two distinctions have to be made, first between centerfire and rimfire; then between rimfire that the mfg specifically states dryfire is okay .vs. all other rimfire.

In all cases, dryfire with a snapcap won't harm the firearm.
In *most* cases, centerfire firearms can be dryfired without a snapcap - although I've heard reference to exceptions.
In *most* cases, dryfiring a rimfire over time can damage the firing pin but there are definitely exceptions such as the ruger 10/22, (it's in my owner's manual).

Last edited:
Who has the patience to load a mag full of those faggy snap caps every time they want to dry fire a gun? Yeesh!

that's okay big guy. real men don't dryfire .22 semi's so you don't have to worry about it.

I've loaded the cylinder of my S&W 617 with snapcaps and and dryfired it while watching tv to smooth out the action.

instead of a new thread, i i figure i'd resurrect this one.

last time i tried to use my MK 2 10" ( blued one) it wouldn't chamber a round. I dry fired it after reading manual that it is ok to dry fire this model as it has a firing pin block. looks like the block is no longer working, as it really boogered up the chamber wall, and now will not allow a round to enter into the chamber.

contacting Ruger to see what they say.... IMG_1094.jpg IMG_1092.jpg IMG_1091.jpg

When I first got my ruger lc9s, my son and daughter used to set up cans and shoot them with a snap cappish dummy round with a red light. Hit the can on the bulls eye and knock it down.

After I would say 1000 dry fires, the firing pin broke.

Ruger was great. Took it back and returned it fully restored for free. Not in the box said to avoid dry firing with a snap cap. And to avoid dry firing it period.

It’s not from this company, but it’s the same.

iTargetPro (Laser Firearm Training System) Shoot Your Gun in the House

Some years ago Fred, Glock-US head tech supt guy told me to advise people NOT to dry fire Glocks w/o snap caps. There are some pictures of broken breach faces allegedly from dry firing Glocks. I posted that and was ridiculed for that. So I no longer carry water for Glock and folks can do as they please.

It sounds like something I might have said, until I cracked my Glock 34 breechface, probably from dry firing but who knows. I still don't use snap caps.

i recently read that my new to me marlin 1894 shoudlnt be dry fired with the safety off. first centerfire gun ive heard is bad to dry fire.
Call me crazy.....but how would you dry fire it if the safety IS on?

I have been told by some that dry firing is a serious don't but other people have said its fine for checks and for getting the feel of a new gun.
I have a revolver. should I worry about dry firing?
It’s fine. Not rim but others yes. Do it ALlL the time. Good practice for trigger feel. If your worried by dry fire round to put in. And don’t shoot your eye out

last time i tried to use my MK 2 10" ( blued one) it wouldn't chamber a round. I dry fired it after reading manual that it is ok to dry fire this model as it has a firing pin block. looks like the block is no longer working, as it really boogered up the chamber wall, and now will not allow a round to enter into the chamber.

Recently saw a video on this. Pistol has fired 12k rounds and user removed the damage by grinding it away, leaving a small arched "relief" that he says has no effect on loading/firing/ejecting. (relief cut can be seen at 12 o'clock directly above feed ramp)
~Matt

Ruger is asking to see it, they said if it not repairable they may offer me a MK4 replacement. i'll send it off to AZ next week after i get all the internals swapped back to factory.

Back
Top Bottom