• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dry firing your gun?

Dave6

Banned
I have been told by some that dry firing is a serious don't but other people have said its fine for checks and for getting the feel of a new gun.
I have a revolver. should I worry about dry firing?

Yeah. It's a serious. But just make sure it is safely unloaded and not a rimfire.

What Fixxah said. You can dry fire (unloaded) centerfire guns all you like, but you should not dry fire any rimfire guns like .22.

There are a few guns that you shouldn't. I've read in several places that my Springfield XD series pistols will break the extractor roll pin if dry fired on an empty chamber repeatedly. I alway do my dry fire with a snap cap for that remain.

i recently read that my new to me marlin 1894 shoudlnt be dry fired with the safety off. first centerfire gun ive heard is bad to dry fire.

I dry fire the snot outta my sigs. Only way to practice my speed. Not only pulling the trigger, but the rest of the associated movement... Reloads, slide release, back on target *click.*

Rimfires are a no no unless designed for dry fire. An outfit called Taccom makes a firing pin for the Atchisson/Ciener styled AR rimfire conversions that can be shimmed (shims supplied) to prevent contact with the breech face thus allowing dry fire. I love mine. I have heard that dry firing is bad for Glocks but don't understand why. I have dry fired my Glocks (22 and 24L) thousands of times with no problems.

In the age of the internet, you can watch videos of some of the best shooters in the world. Lessons that used to cost a fortune, if they were available at all, are now basically free.
I have yet to hear one say 'dry firing is a waste of time'. Buy some snap caps, good to go.

just make sure the first 6 "dry fires" of your revolver are not pointed at your big screen TV. [grin]

I guess some firing pins can take it, some can not. I tend to not do it, probably 'cause my pappy told me not to a coon's age ago. Or I use snap caps if needed.

Unless the manual says you can.... for example, Ruger MK III, 22/45, and Ruger 10/22....

SR22 as well. The bolt doesn't lock back in the 10/22 after the last round so you end up dry firing it a lot unintentionally anyway.

Rimfires are a no no unless designed for dry fire. An outfit called Taccom makes a firing pin for the Atchisson/Ciener styled AR rimfire conversions that can be shimmed (shims supplied) to prevent contact with the breech face thus allowing dry fire. I love mine. I have heard that dry firing is bad for Glocks but don't understand why. I have dry fired my Glocks (22 and 24L) thousands of times with no problems.

Some years ago Fred, Glock-US head tech supt guy told me to advise people NOT to dry fire Glocks w/o snap caps. There are some pictures of broken breach faces allegedly from dry firing Glocks. I posted that and was ridiculed for that. So I no longer carry water for Glock and folks can do as they please.

Standard USMC procedure at Quantico, at least when I was a boy, was to dry fire the 1911 until you couldn't stand it, and then do it some more. Tape a target on the wall, cock the hammer and place a sharp pencil down the barrel, stand or sit so that the tip of the pencil was 3-6 inches away from the target, ensure proper sight picture and sight alignment, and then practice breathing and trigger control. Of course, all those 1911's were pretty beat up and I wouldn't offer them as standards for how to maintain a weapon. But at least on one platform, the 1911, the rule was that there was no such thing as "too much" dry firing and no, we didn't have "snap caps." We did a lot of dry firing with the M16 as well.

Last edited:
I dry fired my Tarus a few times but thats it. I noticed on their website it says this -
CAN I DRY FIRE MY TAURUS?
Yes, except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 94 and 941.

.22 caliber revolvers such as models 94 and 941 also should not be dry fired.

So i think those few times should be no big deal either way.

It's firearm dependent. The Army dry fires its M4s and M16s all the time without snap caps. I never saw an issue with it.

That said, if you intend to do some serious dry fire exercises and will be doing A LOT of dry firing, you could be on the safe side and use snap caps.

Ruger SR series weapons ... Manufacturer says it is OK as long as the mag is inserted.

Page 18 of http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/srSeries.pdf

DRY FIRINGGoing through the actions of cocking, aiming and pulling the trigger on anunloaded gun is known as “dry firing.” It can be useful to learn the “feel” of yourpistol. Be certain that the pistol is fully unloaded (both the chamber andmagazine are empty) and that the pistol is pointing in a safe direction even whenyou are practicing dry firing. The RUGER® SR-SERIES pistols can be dryfiredwithout damage to the striker or other components as long as an emptymagazine is inserted.

CAUTION: Dry firing your RUGER® SR-SERIES with the magazineremoved may result in damage or unnecessary wear to the magazine disconnectmechanism and/or striker.

Back
Top Bottom