• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dry firing your gun?

Good catch.

Very helpful video (although it understates the difficulty I have getting the extractor out). But he's 0 for 4 in referring to springs under compression
as "tension".

Worse: Condition 2.
ETA: Rationale:
Screwing around using the half-cock notch,
especially a deep cut (rather than shelf)
is a good way to mess up the sear (right?)

But there's no 100% safe way to lower the hammer to enter Condition 2.

An ND from a hammer that gets away from you when you're trying to lower it
outweighs a messed up sear...

The last guy I knew that thought "decocking" a loaded 1911 was cool, also told me about a year or so before I saw him, that he had an ND and blown a hole in his living room floor with a 12 ga shotgun... he said his wife was pissed. [rofl] Usually the "preference for condition 2" thing is an obvious sign that you're dealing with a numbskull... [laugh]

-Mike

Yeah; as I commented in Jan'16, I wish guns were drop safe from at least as high as you can reach, if not at least as high as you can throw them. (Probably totally impractical when just monkeying with inertial parameters, but it would be a relatively objective measure).
You just gotta handle it like yellow cake.... [rofl]

I certainly haven't experimented with lowering the hammer on one manually. I'll try to remember to do that without a live round in the chamber next time I shoot one.

Yeah, I did this on a S&W E Series 1911 earlier this week. Getting to half-cock safely is easy. Can you lower it all the way? Sure, but I think you'd need to practice the skill in order to do it safely, and years of experience with lever guns and revolvers wouldn't help that much.

Back
Top Bottom