Drivers License and Gun License

Mike S

NES Member
I know this should probably be in the "Gun Laws" threads but it applies to all states so I thought I'd post here.

Why is it that a state drivers license is valid in all 50 states yet a state gun license is not?

It seems ridiculous as we are granted the right to own and carry firearms in our constitution and we can only do so legally in our home state.

Last I checked there's nothing in the constitution about driving. [grin] Yet away we go.

Silly guy!

Don't you know guns kill more people than cars?

A car is nothing more than a tool, while guns only have one purpose: to kill women and children, and for police to use in wounding suspects.

Hey, these Cheerios are great, man! I'm really tripping! This must be the stuff our lawmakers snort.

I'm sorry, but I can't come up with a way to answer seriously. The basic premise of gun control is flawed - why would any aspect of it make sense? If we ever "GOT" it, we would be just as nuts as the morons that made a child a felon (or a misdemeanoran anyway) for holding an empty brass tube.

ETA: While I was free-associating I see someone found a way to answer seriously. I still contend the states have no business regulating guns to any further extent than they regulate free speech, and so, if such a thing an an LTC should exist, it should be a federal license that is valid anywhere.

Last edited:
One reason is that different states may have drastically different laws, so not possible to have one LTC fit them all.

Yes, but if we were still permitted to carry in other states isn't the onus on us to know and follow the law? It seems a good lawyer could make a case for this if they so chose.

I know this should probably be in the "Gun Laws" threads but it applies to all states so I thought I'd post here.

Why is it that a state drivers license is valid in all 50 states yet a state gun license is not?

It seems ridiculous as we are granted the right to own and carry firearms in our constitution and we can only do so legally in our home state.

Last I checked there's nothing in the constitution about driving. [grin] Yet away we go.

I posted the same question not to long ago.

Well I agree with the jury,the glove didn't fit. Maybe all the dried blood on it shrunk it![rofl]

lol, I have first hand experience with the judicial system and violent crimes. lets just say the person who I am referring to committed a violent crime and only did 3 years of his 7 given. out on parole and gets scooped back up for impersonating a police officer, back to jail we go. out again and caught again this time impersonating a paramedic with all the duds.

back to prison we go to serve the remaining sentence, out after serving sentence and he tried buying a rifle in new York with false ID. last I knew he was locked up in a psychiatric ward.

the crime he committed was attempted murder, using a 6 inch buck knife.

Drivers licenses are only temporarily good in other states. If you take up residence in another state or stay beyond a specified time they require you to get one of their licenses and pay their extortion fee.Its all about "taxation"

The Constitution does not grant any right, it affirms an existing right and instructs the federal government NOT TO INFRINGE ON IT.

Out of state gun licenses are usually available as long as you pay the extortion fee to the issuing state.

I expect it's because the vast majority of the public would object to needing a license in each state in which they wish to drive. If you could get 90% of the adult population to demand gun licenses be valid in all states, it would happen.

The "everyone thinks of themselves as a driver" is why even a repeat DUI convict can eventually get a driver's license reinstated, but it's one mistake, punishment for life, for gun owners. It's easy for members of the general public think "there but for the grace of god go I" on any issue related to driving a car, but only a small percentage of the public thinks that way about gun ownership.

In fact, reciprocity for driver's licenses is not universal within the US. Persons can get a license at age 15 in a couple of states, but it's not uncommon for states with higher driving ages to refuse to grant reciprocity to a 15 year old's driver's license.

Last edited:
not all states require licenses either ( for guns)

Since we are talking about concealed carry, the number of states that do not require them is two. Vermont and Alaska. Every other state that permits concealed carry requires that you have a license to do so.

Now, if you are simply talking about gun ownership, yes, the overwhelming majority of states do not have licensing for that purpose.

Because the Bill of Rights was written to check the Federal Government , not State governments.

Up until the War between the States The BOR had nothing to do with local law. Then Some of it got "Incorporated" to mandate that all States respect some of the Big 10 , but not the 2nd , ... yet.

We're so used to the Fed's running everything that we forget about the 9th &10th. There even used to be Official State Churches down South for a while.

But , yeah. State , local , or federal law restricting my Natural Right to self defense is an abomination.

"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve nether"-Ben franklin. It is illegal to murder someone and illegal for a felon to own a gun.

Those who sacrifice liberty (will become enslaved) for security( failing to take personal responsibility for his own actions) deserve nether"-Ben Franklin

I have been a gun dealer for over 27 years, I have had this topic brought up endless times in the many years. and when asked the following it always brings the same blank response.

if we get rid of the licensing of legal people, to no license what so ever that would include everything. NO License, NO FBI check, NO Mircs, NO 4473 because if there is to be no license then there can't not be any registration.

If this all became the law as of 2009, what do you think would come out of it in the next 10 years? would it be better or worse for the gun owners? if so explain how.

Last edited:
I expect it's because the vast majority of the public would object to needing a license in each state in which they wish to drive. If you could get 90% of the adult population to demand gun licenses be valid in all states, it would happen.

+1 good point we need to get people to realize owning a gun is as normal as driving a car

Those who sacrifice liberty (will become enslaved) for security( failing to take personal responsibility for his own actions) deserve nether"-Ben Franklin

I have been a gun dealer for over 27 years, I have had this topic brought up endless times in the many years. and when asked the following it always brings the same blank response.

if we get rid of the licensing of legal people, to no license what so ever that would include everything. NO License, NO FBI check, NO Mircs, NO 4473 because if there is to be no license then there can't not be any registration.

If this all became the law as of 2009, what do you think would come out of it in the next 10 years? would it be better or worse for the gun owners? if so explain how.

It would be Nether, your argument is as false as the cry's of "blood in the streets" and "Shoot outs in schools" that liberals made when right to carry legislation was being pushed. I do not need the government to tell me when I can or if I can defend myself. If anything crime would go down because criminals would not know that citizens would have to jump though hoops to carry. when criminals start getting LTC's I will start to believe that I need a license to carry a handgun from some govcrim bureaucrat.

Last edited:

The answer is simple, it's because the states have not all chosen to do so. Driver's licences are recognized in other states because those other states enacted legislation that says they will recognize them.

At least one state has done so for concealed weapons permits, which is Arizona. If all the states enacted legislation like theirs (below) then carry permits would be just like drivers licenses.

So this leaves the question, what have you done to try to get your state to enact legislation like this? Besides say "waste of time" or "it will never happen"?

Arizona recognizes all other states valid permits:

This state and any political subdivision of this state shall recognize a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state if both:

1. The permit or license is recognized as valid in the issuing state.

2. The permit or license holder is all of the following:

(a) Not a resident of this state.

(b) Legally present in this state.

(c) Not legally prohibited from possessing a firearm in this state.

For the purpose of establishing mutual permit or license recognition with other states, the department of public safety shall enter into a written agreement if another state requires a written agreement.

Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, a person with a concealed weapons permit from another state may not carry a concealed weapon in this state if the person is under twenty-one years of age or is under indictment for, or has been convicted of, a felony offense in any jurisdiction, unless the person's rights have been restored and the conviction is expunged, set-aside or vacated and the applicant is currently not a prohibited possessor under state or federal law.

http://ccw.azdps.gov/reciprocity/default.asp

It would be Nether, your argument is as false as the cry's of "blood in the streets" and "Shoot outs in schools" that liberals made when right to carry legislation was being pushed. I do not need the government to tell me when I can or if I can defend myself. If anything crime would go down because criminals would not know that citizens would have to jump though hoops to carry. when criminals start getting LTC's I will start to believe that I need a license to carry a handgun from some govcrim bureaucrat.

what argument?? I'm on your side, it was a question not and argument.

but like I said this is exactly what happens, blank statements with no real substance. the question was simple, what would come of it good or bad in your opinion.

I see this attitude everyday with people, as soon as you mention licensing the hair on their backs start to stand up.
but in reality we lost many years ago we are all slaves today, just the difference now is we are wealthy slaves paying 30 times more in taxes than our forefathers would even tolerate. Every time you fill your gas tank ( where's the protest ) your seeing taxation without representation. and the list goes on and on. you want to be truly free then sell your house sell your truck sell everything and walk the earth to the end of your days answering to no one.

then you will be truly free, you might be poor and smelling like ass but you will be free.

Last edited:
The answer is simple, it's because the states have not all chosen to do so. Driver's licences are recognized in other states because those other states enacted legislation that says they will recognize them.

At least one state has done so for concealed weapons permits, which is Arizona. If all the states enacted legislation like theirs (below) then carry permits would be just like drivers licenses.

So this leaves the question, what have you done to try to get your state to enact legislation like this? Besides say "waste of time" or "it will never happen"?

your 100% correct

what argument?? I'm on your side, it was a question not and argument.

but like I said this is exactly what happens, blank statements with no real substance. the question was simple, what would come of it good or bad in your opinion.

I see this attitude everyday with people, as soon as you mention licensing the hair on their backs start to stand up.
but in reality we lost many years ago we are all slaves today, just the difference now is we are wealthy slaves paying 30 times more in taxes than our for fathers would even tolerate. Every time you fill your gas tank ( where's the protest ) your seeing taxation without representation. and the list goes on and on. you want to be truly free then sell your house sell your truck sell everything and walk the earth to the end of your days answering to no one.

then you will be truly free, you might be poor and smelling like ass but you will be free.

I think we would be no worse if licensing got done away with, right to carry has decreased crime, now think what would happen if it was totally legal to carry for anybody? Criminals would lose there minds and refrain from crime. I protest with my votes for libertarians and my activism. The forefathers did not call it the bill of compromises or the bill of privileges. you have the self evident right to own and carry a firearm. We will never agree because I am one step away from a anarchist.

Last edited:
The best way to address LTCs us to amend each state's constitution to require all persons elected to a state or federal office to qualify for and possess the License to Carry a Firearm from their home state.

Back
Top Bottom