Don't buy the PRIUS.....

I had the chance to drive one a couple of weeks ago, and was very disappointed.

Check out this video, and stay until the end.................... GREAT ENDING

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG....I was laughing for like 5 minutes straight!!!

BTW....I was waiting forever for the Lexus RX 450h to come out and bought it in August. It's a very nice car, but I am really dissapointed with the fuel economy. It's supposed to get 30 in the city and 29 average. Well, I'm driving it very gingerly and it is getting 24 average. WHen I had them check it out, Lexus said "that's the way it works.....some people get a lot less". My complaint is that I am driving like grandma to save on fuel and the thing still gets the same mileage as the regular one. So my advice....save yourself the $6k and just get the regular model, not the hybrid.

Picking on my Prius again, have fun. Pay no attention to the 5 star crash test rating, pay no attention to the Edmunds rating on highest in holding its value and reliability.

I like them. Fun to drive. Ton of torque. Not sure I'd pay the price to get one, but I certainly wouldn't mind owning one. I'd put an AR15 sticker on the rear window.

I think I have a Prius stuck in the grille of my Chevy Suburban - I noticed I was running a bit hot on the way into work this morning. I'll have to check tonite before I drive home.

My brother had a Prius, its a pos. Well, ok, its alright I suppose... but its not everything it is advertised to be. Go clean diesel.

The European diesels blow away the mileage our hybrids get. I remember reading an article about how the gov't has restricted the hell out of diesel so even though it's the most enviro-friendly choice, it's not as good here as it could be. Too much regulation prevent them from selling the 70+ mpg versions in the US.

I like them. Fun to drive. Ton of torque.
0-60 in 10 seconds isn't fun to me. In fact, I've read a number of reviews of the Prius over the years, and not one has called the Prius "fun to drive." In fact, some said that it was as fun to drive as a microwave.

The Prius' 105 ft-lbs of torque is not what I would call a "ton of torque." In fact, it is about the same as my old 1987 Integra with a 1.6l 4-cylinder. I thought that engine had relatively little torque off the line.

On the other hand, my 2003 V8 4Runner goes 0-60 in 7.5 seconds and has 320 ft-lbs of torque. That is nice, fat, low-end torque.

The European diesels blow away the mileage our hybrids get. I remember reading an article about how the gov't has restricted the hell out of diesel so even though it's the most enviro-friendly choice, it's not as good here as it could be. Too much regulation prevent them from selling the 70+ mpg versions in the US.
Actually, they don't. The mileage quotations that you see for Euro cars are typically the various European standard tests. Those tests are not the same as our EPA mileage ratings and are, in fact, very, very optimistic. You'll never get that kind of mileage on the road.

Here in the US, the most economic diesels available are from VW, and the Jetta/Golf TDi models are typically a bit behind the Prius in mileage. The Prius has a decisive advantage in the city, but the diesels strength is highway mileage.

I'd much rather have a diesel than a hybrid. But we need to be careful to compare apples with apples, not apples with orangutans.

My biggest concern with hybrids is long term maintainability and ownership costs. When I buy a vehicle, it's next owner is going to be a junkyard, no matter how long that takes. I don't think the hybrids have been around long enough to see how they'll work out towards the end of their service life, or what that service lifespan is. I expect the '98 I'm driving to last at least 5 more years, and be past 200k on it - and if it goes further (which wouldn't surprise me), I'll keep driving it until it doesn't. Since I'm not willing to risk my purchase dollar yet on hybrids making it that far, I'm going to have to wait and see. If I needed a high MPG vehicle right now, I'd be looking at VW diesels.

The Prius's looks leave me cold, but that's got nothing to do with technology........[thinking]

Picking on my Prius again, have fun. Pay no attention to the 5 star crash test rating, pay no attention to the Edmunds rating on highest in holding its value and reliability.
My buddy is on his second. Not a fan on the highway but in Boston traffic they really are excellent.

Pay no attention to the pickup truck drivers.

I worked as an auto mechanic for a little of 4 years. Priuses suck and I'm disgusted Toyota would put their name on such a product. They feel cheap, look cheap, and are built like toys. During that time I replaced 3 ECUs in 3 separate vehicles, rebuilt at least 2 front ends...a couple wheel bearings...the list goes on. While it's finicky, I'll continue driving my 15 yr old Jaguar with 300lb/ft of torque that gets 12-15mpg! Pricey but THAT is a smooth ride

I had a tire that kept losing pressure. I went looking for an offending nail, but instead I found a Prius stuck between the treads. That explains the bump I felt while snow plowing last week.

011.JPG

Nothing a heavy duty plug wont fix. [smile]

I love the Prius drivers on the highway holding up traffic while they`re driving 55 mph. They have that smug look on their faces when I finally get to pass them and give them the finger. Moonbats. I bet MATHA drives one.

I worked as an auto mechanic for a little of 4 years. Priuses suck and I'm disgusted Toyota would put their name on such a product. They feel cheap, look cheap, and are built like toys. During that time I replaced 3 ECUs in 3 separate vehicles, rebuilt at least 2 front ends...a couple wheel bearings...the list goes on. While it's finicky, I'll continue driving my 15 yr old Jaguar with 300lb/ft of torque that gets 12-15mpg! Pricey but THAT is a smooth ride
I was buying what you were saying until you mentioned a 15 yo Jagwire.

Haha I totally knew I was contradicting myself when I decided to share that last bit of info...but seriously in all honesty...it's an XJ6..which is by far the most reliable vehicle Jag ever made post 1994 (mine is a '95)...and believe it or not it has been almost as reliable as my Maxima was. It's built like a tank and it's only shortcoming is that the British will never learn how to wire a car correctly...but I already went through the car and wired it the way it should have been wired from the factory. No stupid idiot lights are on in my dash! I just hate Priuses so much I seriously would consider driving my old Jag even if you wanted to give me a Prius for free

I love the Prius drivers on the highway holding up traffic while they`re driving 55 mph. They have that smug look on their faces when I finally get to pass them and give them the finger. Moonbats. I bet MATHA drives one.

I usually see the Prius drivers doing 90+ in and out of lanes...makes me wonder how their mileage is doing, haha.

I with you on that.
My dad drove Jags from 85' to when he passed away in 08'.
He never kept one past 50,000 miles because the repair costs were too much once the warranty expired. His were all XJ's, the real ones made in England, not the Ford chassis cars. IMHO these are fabulous driving cars, when they're running right. I once had his 91' XJ6 doing 135, straight, smooth, comfortable and felt rock-solid and assuring at speed. It had more to give, the speedo went up to 160, but I didn't push it further. It wasn't too quick off the line, but you stomp on it when you're going 80 and it really takes off! I've driven over 100 in a few different cars, but most of the others were scary white-knuckle rides at that speed. I don't know what a Prius tops out at, but I'm sure it's far South of 135.
His last Jag was an 04' XJ8, which I drove to NJ and back, cruise control set @ 75, and got an honest 26 mpg. [shocked]
These cars (used) can be had so cheap nowadays, it's really shame. They depreciate like a rock. An XJ8 new in 04' was $70K. Now you can get them for $10-$15K. I'd rather have the Jag over a Prius myself, even though it gets half the gas mileage.
And for you safety minded, ever see how a Prius handles and accident compared to a Jaguar.?

Who would drive an English car ? .... Oh , me. I have a 1999 Range Rover limited edition Calloway. It gets a few miles to the gallon , I guess.

But it goes places you can't go in a jeep , pulls things you can't with a HummerH2 , outruns most SUV's . and I am happy when I drive it.

I with you on that.
My dad drove Jags from 85' to when he passed away in 08'.
He never kept one past 50,000 miles because the repair costs were too much once the warranty expired. His were all XJ's, the real ones made in England, not the Ford chassis cars. IMHO these are fabulous driving cars, when they're running right. I once had his 91' XJ6 doing 135, straight, smooth, comfortable and felt rock-solid and assuring at speed. It had more to give, the speedo went up to 160, but I didn't push it further. It wasn't too quick off the line, but you stomp on it when you're going 80 and it really takes off! I've driven over 100 in a few different cars, but most of the others were scary white-knuckle rides at that speed. I don't know what a Prius tops out at, but I'm sure it's far South of 135.
His last Jag was an 04' XJ8, which I drove to NJ and back, cruise control set @ 75, and got an honest 26 mpg. [shocked]
These cars (used) can be had so cheap nowadays, it's really shame. They depreciate like a rock. An XJ8 new in 04' was $70K. Now you can get them for $10-$15K. I'd rather have the Jag over a Prius myself, even though it gets half the gas mileage.
And for you safety minded, ever see how a Prius handles and accident compared to a Jaguar.?

Zappa...glad to see you've also had a favorable driving experience with Jags, minus the repair costs. Repair costs become a non-issue to me being that I do all my own repairs though the parts are certainly pricey. My 1995 XJ6 currently has 156K on it, and I intend to drive it to 200K or more (I sold my Maxima with 198K on it)...so I guess you can say I certainly love getting my money's worth out of my vehicles. I'll agree with you on the smooth ride at high speed...my speedo goes up to 160 as well, and while I don't push the car much, I have had it going 140. Definitely slow off the line, but it does kick in once up to speed for sure. I got mine for a steal...$2900...and yes it was a $65K car back in 1995. It needed work, but I fixed it up, and I get compliments on it wherever I go (though usually from senior citizens). They are probably the classiest looking vehicle on the road today besides a Bentley or Rolls of a comparable year, and for much much less money. Hasn't needed much for repairs..mostly standard stuff..brakes, water pump, a few electrical tidbits, etc... I call it the tank (it is green)..and i'd hate to see a prius in a crash test against it! It may guzzle gas but it's worth it...a Prius will never have the luxury and beverly hills appeal that a Jag does

Who would drive an English car ? .... Oh , me. I have a 1999 Range Rover limited edition Calloway. It gets a few miles to the gallon , I guess.

But it goes places you can't go in a jeep , pulls things you can't with a HummerH2 , outruns most SUV's . and I am happy when I drive it.

Fubar you ass! A Range Rover is the one vehicle I'd take over the Jag right now here in New England! I attended their offroad driving school in California...was a really cool experience

Back
Top Bottom