Don't buy the PRIUS.....

My wife has a Prius. Say what you will but when I can get to a gun show in Penn on a tank of gas at 57MPG it's OK with me!

My wife has one too.
And driving to Maryland on eight gallons aint bad either.

But... Prius threads are like cat threads.

Exactly like cat threads.

We use priri for target holders at my range. The owners that drive them there? We tar and feather them to attract pheasant so we don't have to stock.

I usually see the Prius drivers doing 90+ in and out of lanes...makes me wonder how their mileage is doing, haha.

....mid to high 30's for MPG. That's what I get in my Prius when I drive like that. At more sane speeds going with the flow of traffic, it's 43-45 MPG. Those 55MPH lane blockers are getting closer to 50MPG.

I would never want that tiny little Prius. That is why I was excited when I could get a mid-sized SUV hybrid from Lexus. Problem is, it gets far less mileage then they claimed. Won't be buying from them again.

I saw a prius smash into a pole a few days ago. omg No one and I mean no one should ever drive one of these death traps!!! The car was in front of me on a snowy roar and we were going no more than 25-30 mph. I tried to pull the women driver out but instead waited for rescue to arrive. She left alive but I don't know if she will make it. At 25+ mph the car the car was totaled and I mean totaled. These POS should be banned from our roads.

....mid to high 30's for MPG. That's what I get in my Prius when I drive like that. At more sane speeds going with the flow of traffic, it's 43-45 MPG. Those 55MPH lane blockers are getting closer to 50MPG.

That can't be right. I get between 38-41MPG in my Yaris with normal everyday driving.

I saw a prius smash into a pole a few days ago. omg No one and I mean no one should ever drive one of these death traps!!! The car was in front of me on a snowy roar and we were going no more than 25-30 mph. I tried to pull the women driver out but instead waited for rescue to arrive. She left alive but I don't know if she will make it. At 25+ mph the car the car was totaled and I mean totaled. These POS should be banned from our roads.

You have got to be kidding me? There are smaller and shittier cars on the road. That would fair ALLOT worse. The car is an Engineering Marvel. Yes its girly and small, but if you look at the technology behind it, It is a step in the right direction. Now If they can transform that tech into a fully loaded Tundra that will get 20MPG Im all over it.

I have a buddy that has two of them. All the newer cabs are hybrid Camrys. They stop at a redlight and they are silent....Engine off, not burning gas or throwing emissions. Nothing wrong with that.

I am not allowed to pick up my kids from school with the engine running more than 5 minutes now.......go figure.

0-60 in 10 seconds isn't fun to me. In fact, I've read a number of reviews of the Prius over the years, and not one has called the Prius "fun to drive." In fact, some said that it was as fun to drive as a microwave.

The Prius' 105 ft-lbs of torque is not what I would call a "ton of torque." In fact, it is about the same as my old 1987 Integra with a 1.6l 4-cylinder. I thought that engine had relatively little torque off the line.

On the other hand, my 2003 V8 4Runner goes 0-60 in 7.5 seconds and has 320 ft-lbs of torque. That is nice, fat, low-end torque.

Have you driven one?
It's not a sports car. If you're looking for a spirited drive this simply isn't the right car. It wasn't designed as one but for a car that just gets you around the city it's not bad.

It doesn't have just 105 ft-lbs of torque. It actually has more than your V8 4 Runner. 105 ft-lbs is the gas motor. The electric motor produces 295 ft lbs of torque at 1200RPM. When you combine them together on a 100% throttle situation, you'll get quite a bit. Off the line you can spin the wheels pretty easily.

The biggest problem I find with Prius's are the people who drive them. Don't blame the tool for operator mistakes.

Last edited:
[laugh]
I get to post #17 and my mp3 player shuffles its way to playing Gallon of Gas by "The Kinks".

If I end up having to trade my Suburban for an econo-box, it'll probably wind up being one of the euro-diesels that manage to make it through the over-regulation.

The only thing that would entice me to go for the hybrid is if they started marketing it with an option that would allow me to get several kW out of it and into my house when the power fails.

The European diesels blow away the mileage our hybrids get. I remember reading an article about how the gov't has restricted the hell out of diesel so even though it's the most enviro-friendly choice, it's not as good here as it could be. Too much regulation prevent them from selling the 70+ mpg versions in the US.

Which diesel sold in this country "blow away" the mileage that a Prius gets? Which diesels sold in Europe get an honest 70MPG using US gallons?

As for actually owning a diesel, the only ones sold here are German. Get back to me on the ownership experience once you've had one for a long time.

Last edited:
My biggest concern with hybrids is long term maintainability and ownership costs. When I buy a vehicle, it's next owner is going to be a junkyard, no matter how long that takes. I don't think the hybrids have been around long enough to see how they'll work out towards the end of their service life, or what that service lifespan is. I expect the '98 I'm driving to last at least 5 more years, and be past 200k on it - and if it goes further (which wouldn't surprise me), I'll keep driving it until it doesn't. Since I'm not willing to risk my purchase dollar yet on hybrids making it that far, I'm going to have to wait and see. If I needed a high MPG vehicle right now, I'd be looking at VW diesels.

The Prius's looks leave me cold, but that's got nothing to do with technology........[thinking]

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1023454_toyota-prius-taxi-tops-340000mi-dispels-battery-myth

Which diesel sold in this country "blow away" the mileage that a Prius gets? Which diesels sold in Europe get an honest 70MPG using US gallons?

As for actually owning a diesel, the only ones sold here are German. Get back to me on the ownership experience once you've had one for a long time.

I think there's some rounding up to get the 70 number.
The record I know of is 67.9 MPG. I also know someone who owns a diesel Jetta wagon and regularly averages 50 mpg in it.

Here's a link regarding the record:
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/21/mileage-champs-break-another-record-in-vw-jetta-tdi/

I think they were drafting the priuses in the slow lane.

My biggest concern with hybrids is long term maintainability and ownership costs. When I buy a vehicle, it's next owner is going to be a junkyard, no matter how long that takes. I don't think the hybrids have been around long enough to see how they'll work out towards the end of their service life, or what that service lifespan is. I expect the '98 I'm driving to last at least 5 more years, and be past 200k on it - and if it goes further (which wouldn't surprise me), I'll keep driving it until it doesn't. Since I'm not willing to risk my purchase dollar yet on hybrids making it that far, I'm going to have to wait and see. If I needed a high MPG vehicle right now, I'd be looking at VW diesels.

The Prius's looks leave me cold, but that's got nothing to do with technology........[thinking]

What battery myth? [wink]

I've watched every other battery I use get better over the last 25 years, so believing that batteries have, and will improve is not at all difficult. Seeing the example you linked confirm that a battery set will go 340k would confirm that as well. However, I must disagree that this is a long term test. High mileage, yes, but the fleet owner's oldest Prius is only a 2005. My truck is a '98, and I plan (barring accidents) to be driving it a minimum of another 5 years. Taxi service doesn't exactly represent normal driving patterns, either. What I'll need before biting on a hybrid is confidence that the vehicle (not just the batteries) will be running 15-20 years after it's manufactured. Knowing battery packs have gone 340k successfully is a step in the right direction, but doesn't address the performance of a 15 year old pack, how the motor will tolerate 15 years of start/stop cycles, especially in weather that is noteably colder than Australia, electronics reliability, and the mechanical performance of the rest of the car. Mechanicals is the first part of the Prius that I have already confidence in - every Toyota I've owned has held up well.

I have no objection to replacing parts such as batteries either, except as they affect ownership cost. It's not as if I expect my truck to make 15 years and 200k miles with no maintenance, so I wouldn't expect it of a hybrid. I can't come up with a way to build my confidence in hybrids - except time. If I were the sort of person who buys new, and trades in every 5 years, than my confidence would already be up. So, sometime in the next 5-7 years, I expect to have a much better grasp on whether a hybrid is ever going to be in my future.

I'm hoping NES is still here then - I'll happily resurrect the thread!!

great video!! LMAO!!!

as i pull into the garage at Ashburton PL this morning...a Prius in fron tof me with a Coakley sticker on it!

great video!! LMAO!!!

as i pull into the garage at Ashburton PL this morning...a Prius in fron tof me with a Coakley sticker on it!
When I was doing a standout for Scott Brown last Saturday, I got some waves from Prius drivers. One of them actually used all 5 fingers [laugh]

Yeah. and I remember time when most of the cabs in NYC were Peugeot cars! Which proves exactly what???

That can't be right. I get between 38-41MPG in my Yaris with normal everyday driving.

Comparing a Prius with a Yaris is like comparing a Ford Fusion with a Focus.

If you're carrying rear seat passengers, the Prius is tons more comfortable than a Yaris.

Compare the interior space of the Toyota Prius with a Toyota Camry, you'll find that they're pretty close in size. The Prius just looks small from the outside. It's classified as a mid-sized automobile.

Ana, I thought you drove a 10 wheeler.
Chuck

I drive & operate diesel sucking machines from 6 wheels to 22, straight or bendy-in-the-middle, 18 to 80 feet long, metal tracks, rubber tires, metal drums, or a combination of the above.

-Ana

Last edited:
Now If they can transform that tech into a fully loaded Tundra that will get 20MPG Im all over it.

I used to drive an older (late 90's) Dodge Diesel with the Cummins & a Gale Banks kit on it that got 22 MPG on average. A 20 MPG pickup truck is very doable.

I dunno, I rode in one last year and the inside was huge, the ride was good. I don't think I would buy one but it is not a bad car. Not any worse than most else out there.

Always thought the Prius looked like some kind of gay sex toy on wheels. Go diesel, My '00 Jetta TDI w/ 300K gets an average of 52mpg, best has been 56mpg.

Gee the Prius didn't even make in the top 10 gay friendly cars, but your Jetta did. Hay Yaris guy you are on the list too:

It's no surprise that the vehicles most researched by gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender shoppers are those produced by gay-friendly automakers.

In releasing a list of its Top 10 researched vehicles, Gaywheels.com said the 10 in most demand are the Toyota Yaris, Saab 9-3, Mazda MX-5 Miata, Volkswagen Jetta, Volkswagen Eos, Dodge Caliber, Toyota Camry, Audi A3, Volkswagen Rabbit and Infiniti FX.

Last edited:
Comparing a Prius with a Yaris is like comparing a Ford Fusion with a Focus.

If you're carrying rear seat passengers, the Prius is tons more comfortable than a Yaris.

Compare the interior space of the Toyota Prius with a Toyota Camry, you'll find that they're pretty close in size. The Prius just looks small from the outside. It's classified as a mid-sized automobile.

I was talking about the mileage. The Prius has to get better thatn what my Yaris gets. The post I replied to stated like 45MPG.

Gee the Prius didn't even make in the top 10 gay friendly cars, but your Jetta did. Hay Yaris guy you are on the list too:

It's no surprise that the vehicles most researched by gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender shoppers are those produced by gay-friendly automakers.

In releasing a list of its Top 10 researched vehicles, Gaywheels.com said the 10 in most demand are the Toyota Yaris, Saab 9-3, Mazda MX-5 Miata, Volkswagen Jetta, Volkswagen Eos, Dodge Caliber, Toyota Camry, Audi A3, Volkswagen Rabbit and Infiniti FX.

I think that honor may go to another car. Perhaps one that has it's own built in vase?

[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom