Do you engage an active shooter?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
It's an interesting question that my wife asked me last night. Her question is if I'm in a Walmart and someone starts shooting, what would I do? Lots of ways to look at this.

1. If my wife/family is with me I'm with them out the back door.

2. If I'm by myself I honestly don't have an answer. Do I save myself or engage. I guess it depends on where the shooter is in relation to where I am. Overall if I have no choice I'll engage. If I have a choice, I'm still not sure what I'd do.

Got me thinking though. If you pull your CCW bystanders might think your one of the shooters which could lead to all other problems. Also, if a LE sees you they might identify you as the shooter and start sending lead your way.

This could be a problem as well if you're engaged in a firefight with the bad guy. If LEs see you first firing rounds, they are going to think you're the shooter. Then you most likely end up dead.

SO my answer to her was "I don't know". For some reason that bothers me some.

What's your thoughts?

Agree with above, I'd probably/most definitely be at low ready condition 0 as I made my way out...
Let the chips fall where they may, if this guy is mercilessly killing people as I'm right there and have a clean shot, I'd most likely engage.
You never know though.
I've only been tested once in my life in a life and death situation.....I ended running towards the danger and not away from it, so I guess that's how I'm wired.

Agree with the pro's who will chime in at some point:
When they get there and see me with a gun I'm good as dead.

Somebody has to. If I am in a position where I have the ability, with a gun, or with tools from the hardware and sporting goods departments, I would use whatever options that are available. Curse others for not being prepared, or even willing, all you want... after the fact. At the moment - none of that matters.

I carry to protect myself and those close to me. My plan is that I carry to get out of a tough situation, not to seek out gun battles. If that means I can just sneak out the back door through the loading dock count me in. If there’s a bad guy between me and the door...

upload_2019-8-8_13-25-20.jpeg

Those who turn and run away, get to live another day. I'm protecting me, myself and I and my family and not the general public.With my luck the cops will think I'm the bad guy and take me out.

Depends on a lot of factors. Am I more likely to get off alive with my family if I run or if I shoot. If I’m next to the door and he’s 100 yds away, I’m gone. Sorry. If he’s between me and the door that’s another kettle of fish

I hate to say it but I’m todays world of lawsuits and people thinking that you should have perfect awareness of the situation ( talking about how hindsight is always 20/20 )
I carry to protect my family and myself.
I’m not going to engage just because I have the tools. I’m using it to get out! If they stand between my family and that goal then I do what I’m forced to do.

My thoughts pretty much mirror the OP.

My first priority is my family if they are there. If I am alone I might try to help others escape or give aid to any wounded I see. UNLESS it puts me in an untenable situation.

IF I come face-to-face with the shooter and I am in the kill zone then it's game on rather than take hits in the back.

Let's face it, you can role play this so many ways you could go crazy just thinking about them.

Try to settle on a few realistic options and if you are ever in such a situation, try your best to keep cool and make good choices.

"I don't know" is the only correct answer, because there's far too many variables, basic things such as:

-Where's the exit? Can I get myself or my principals out of the kill zone quickly and possibly take a defensive posture somewhere?
-Venue + Do I have principals to be concerned about - friends and family - present where this is happening ? This is a huge determining factor
-Absent the above; sorry, but I basically don't give many f***s about the sheep, might not be "my problem" so then it becomes a matter of- do I need to stop this person to ensure my own safety?"

The happy fun ball is you likely have seconds to make this decision, if you're lucky.

Also while we discuss this, bear in mind you're mentally preparing yourself for something that will likely never come, of course risk factors are
different for everyone, etc. I don't concern myself with "Terrorists" as much as I do with rando crackheads, or other miscreants of that
variety.

-Mike

My thoughts pretty much mirror the OP.

My first priority is my family if they are there. If I am alone I might try to help others escape or give aid to any wounded I see. UNLESS it puts me in an untenable situation.

IF I come face-to-face with the shooter and I am in the kill zone then it's game on rather than take hits in the back.

Let's face it, you can role play this so many ways you could go crazy just thinking about them.

Try to settle on a few realistic options and if you are ever in such a situation, try your best to keep cool and make good choices.
good answer!

no one knows for sure how they'll react until they're in the situation. i've said before, and got dumped on, i protect my own, nobody else. it's not in my job description. sorry if you disagree.

Family first, and whatever course of action gives them the best chance to escape, which would also mean me going with them to ensure safe passage

If alone, who knows. As the sole protector of my family I would like to think my survival for them takes priority.

Who the heck knows until it happens.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that very rarely are active shooters armed solely with a pistol. Going toe to toe with someone wielding an AK or an AR with my compact pistol is a losing proposition.

# 1 priority is survive. If you're going to try to engage, it's best to keep concealed as long as possible to avoid being identified as a threat by the perpetrator or the villain by bystanders.

Also, people tend to massively overrate their own abilities, especially when a stress factor is added into the mix.

As already said, get my family out first. Engage if necessary to do that. Not sure if I was alone, also depends on who else is there and if they are friends/known to me or not. Never know what you will do when seeing innocents in danger.

If the guy is about to shoot me...of course.

If I can walk away then that's what I am doing! In this state, even the most righteous shooting could cost you everything you have spent a lifetime acquiring. There is no longer the rule of law in this country, the law is now used as a tool to push political agendas...I don't want any part of the legal system.

If you have decided not to exercise your 2A rights, you can wait for the police to show up. I am not the police.

If the guy is about to shoot me...of course.

If I can walk away then that's what I am doing!

See, that's the rub. What if I'm out in a place where your wife or kid, or mother are, and are about to be gunned down?
I am armed, capable and behind the shooter with a clear shot. And he is only wearing a tee shirt and has a pistol.
I'm also 3 feet away from an exit, have cover all the way to it, and I can slip out safely.

Do I safely leave your family there to die, or at least get shot up pretty good?

If your answer is still "Yes," you're a Bastid, and really no better than the Shooter...

Last edited:
If my family or my self are in the line of fire game on... but if I am at the other end of the store or building, I am going to chuck Norris round house kick the back door open and GTFO with my family

I guess it depends on where the shooter is in relation to where I am.

This is probably the most important criteria...maybe only a handful of people I'd be willing to actively search for (and by happen stance come across the attacker) if I have a quick exit available...Aside from that I'm not looking to get involved.

If my family or my self are in the line of fire game on... but if I am at the other end of the store or building, I am going to chuck Norris round house kick the back door open and GTFO with my family

I get it. But, what if I'm there and you're not...? But your family is.
How would you have me proceed...?

You can come with us too, but I am not going to get involved unless I have too

I edited my post to state that you're not there. But your family is, and being gunned down...

I guess what I'm asking is: Should I try and help your family or GTFO?

You are not responsible for my family.

You shoot and hit a bystander, get smeared as a vigilante by the media, the local DA with a 2A bugup questions your shoot/no shoot decision, grand jury indicts you and the DA's ham sandwich. You lose your job, house, retirement, and Antifa doxxes and harasses you for the next 18 months. When/if you are finally found not guilty the bystanders family then sues you and garnishes every cent you make from now until you die....hope you like the taste of cat food [angry]

It sucks but the people in this state think its a crime for you to defend yourself.

See, that's the rub. What if I'm out in a place where your wife or kid, or mother are, and are about to be gunned down?
I am armed, capable and behind the shooter with a clear shot. And he is only wearing a tee shirt and has a pistol.
I'm also 3 feet away from an exit, have cover all the way to it, and I can slip out safely.

Do I safely leave your family there to die, or at least get shot up pretty good?

If your answer is still "Yes," you're a Bastid, and really no better than the Shooter...

Back
Top Bottom