Do you donate blood?

I'm scared shitless of needles . When ever I have blood drawn on me for check ups they use the baby needles still lol.
Yet I have no problem getting novacain or tattoos or putting holes in me ears. Watching a doctor stitch me up etc .

Some thing about getting blood drawn or Iv's freaks me out . Granted ive woken up more then once with Iv's in my neck or hand and riped them out .

I figure since Im a wuss at donating blood least I can be is a organ donor.
That said I donate when I can buy alot of times I can't, too soon getting tattoo. Too soon after a er visit etc .

I do it once every few years .

My friend is type o- I believe and she gets paid to donate lucky bitch !

Last edited:
Commit to allergy shots. That'll cure your pussy ass fear of needles. [wink]

I've done that for about a year, still despise needles. A shot is much different than blood tests. I almost went through drywall last time they took blood.

nurse: you okay?

me: yeah I feel okay, thanks

*stands up, almost falls and gets caught by decent-looking nurse who held me up* [rofl]

I faint like a little bitch every time. Even when they only take the 2oz for cholesterol or whatever at my doctors. So no. I don't donate.

Just give blood. do it.

If, lord forbid, you are ever down a quart, getting topped off with donated blood will save your life. BTDT.

And you needle wimps out there need to grow a pair. Wait till youve had a bone marrow biopsy with a needle the size of a framing spike jammed into your hip bone. Then they hook up a syringe and suck out the marrow. It feeling is indescribable, and not in a good way. And no, the anesthetic shot they give you first doesnt help.

That tiny needle they use for giving blood is a mosquito bite. and you get a cookie.

My initial motivation was the afternoon off when I started donating in High School. I had a family member require 1+ gallon and went and did an emergency donation. I'm at 2+ gallons and give any time I can. I got use to needles and if I can help this is pretty easy.

Back in the late 70's early 80's when you could still sell blood, I'd get $10 for my wonder bread O+, my friend got $80 for his exotic AB- blood, we would pool the money and go out drinking right after. Quick buzz when you are a quart down.

They still pay some places? Weird.

I don't give to red cross, but do give to more local drives/bloodmobiles whenever I see one and have time.

Giving blood regularly will add to your life span. Women live longer than men because they menstruate monthly, getting rid of excess iron. Men can only do this by bleeding. Only two things are definitely known to extend life in men, extreme calorie deprivation (like the monks who are always fasting) and regular blood letting to remove metals.

Donate often. They also test your blood for certain things that could help you get treatment early, that may have otherwise gone undiagnosed.

My wife and everyone goes to Childrens Hospital to donate, me personally hell no I got my neck and arms all tattooed butsome reason needles scare the ever loving dog s*** out of me

I did when they came to the office, but they keep changing the rules. Now I can't because I spent too much time in Europe during the 80s\90s

Same here. I used to give until they quit accepting blood from my ex and I because of where we lived in the early 80's. If I really had Mad Cow disease, do you think it would've shown up in 30 years? But, that's the issue.

Im a Universal donor...prime time over here...and i dont give any of it out

Not a drop...love watching a needle go in at the docs when I get blood work...but im selfish...if I know someone who needs it, drain me, if it goes to a charity-Red Cross-whose execs make bout 10x what I do...no thanks...its all mine...liquid gold.

Liquid gold? Sounds more like liquid douche.

I've done that for about a year, still despise needles. A shot is much different than blood tests. I almost went through drywall last time they took blood.

nurse: you okay?

me: yeah I feel okay, thanks

*stands up, almost falls and gets caught by decent-looking nurse who held me up* [rofl]

Really? Shit, my allergy shots burned. I got 5 total every week.

A good nurse will never even let you know the needle went in.

I found out I'm O- after my son was born and I've been donating every 3-4 months. I just started last fall and I'm going for my third donation this Sunday at the YMCA in Worcester. I donate double red, the last time I went at the Red Cross office on Plantation Street I sat down while other people were donating whole blood, and I was done way before them. Donating double red is pretty quick, and I don't have to worry about being dehydrated afterwards, I can walk right out, no need for juice and cookies.

When hooked up to the machine it was an odd feeling when they pump the plasma back in your arm. I was a little confused when the blood in the line went from crimson to almost clear, I thought something was wrong when I first saw it.

Pic attached for the nancies, needles don't really hurt, donating blood will help you get over the fear.

IMG_0500.jpg

Last edited:
i just don't like needles. i'd only jump up to do it for friends/family in an emergency.
A lot of people think that, but unless you're able to predict emergencies, it won't work. Directed donations take a few days (sometimes longer) to complete.

Last edited:
Tra la. I went digging

Charity Navigator Rating - American Red Cross

While the CEO makes $500k, that is 0.01% of the annual revenues. Total administration expenses are at 4%.

How's that stack up?

Where Are Your Charity Dollars Going?

The relevant quote:

“Of the 5,500 largest charities in America that depend on support from the public, our research shows that the typical charity spends 75% of its budget on programs, 10% on fundraising and 15% on administrative,” says Sandra Miniutti, Vice President, Marketing & CFO of Charity Navigator. “Donors should look for groups that hit or come close to this benchmark and remember that charities must pay for mundane things like the electric bill and they do have to spend some money to bring in donations.” However, the AIP also notes that newer organizations and charities dedicated to less popular issues may need to spend more on fundraising and administrative costs.

No luck finding out if the money they take in from the blood services just funds those programs or is funneled to administrative/fundraising/disaster relief costs.

Nope.

My differences with the ARC aside, they won't even accept my blood. Mad Cow. I was stationed in Germany from 1986-89, so I might be a carrier.

I was a 1.5 gallon donor before they cut me off.

Thanks to all who have replied -- appreciate the input, info, and POV.

So I went to the Drive yesterday, took a number, and waited. And waited. People who arrived after me kept getting called before me to get screened. Turns out they made appointments. There was no mention of appointments on an sandwich boards advertising the drive, nor in the news articles about it. Left after cooling my heels for 20 minutes.

The woman at the door says, "Oh, you can come back later."

Me: "Well, no, I work, and then coach, so... I can't. See ya."

Sigh.

Good point above. They tent to take 3 or so people with appointments for every one walk-in. It really sucks to be a walk-in at a red cross drive that's busy. You end up waiting an hour or more sometimes. Make an appointment if at all possible.

You can also tell them to stop calling you. The calls get annoying as hell especially if multiple people in your family donate.

I used to donate regularly but I haven't in a while. I was usually busy working and all the donation places were closed when I had time off. Then when I started donating again the nurses always seemed to have a hard time finding a vein close to the surface so I ended up looking like a pin cushion after getting stuck a couple of times in each arm. I also used to be a really quick draw on blood but lately it seems to take forever to fill a bag of whole blood. Last time the line clotted off and I had a huge bruise on the inside of my elbow, not sure if it was from a clot or from the nurses constantly moving that needle around. Maybe I'll have to look up Mercy Hospital's drives instead of the Red Cross.

I''m O+ (the universal donor) so I've been donating blood on a regular basis. For a while I was a donor to the f*ckers at the Red Cross, but then I learned that the Red Cross charges about $400 per pint to my local hospital whenever my local hospital runs out of blood.

So I decided to screw the Red Cross and boycott those greedy pigs (go to Guidestar.org to see what the top execs make . . . it'll make you hemorrhage and need a blood transfusion) and for the rest of my life I will donate ONLY to my local hospital.

Donating blood is a very necessary thing, but even more critical is the need for us to donate PLATELETS. I donate my platelets every two weeks, regardless of what my work schedule is like. Fortunately I'm high enough in the chain of command that I can take time off whenever I want, and I'm accountable only to my conscience. So every two weeks, like clockwork, I take a couple of hours of personal time (and I record the deduction) and I run to my local hospital to donate platelets.

The neat thing about donating platelets is that the depletion triggers your body to produce more. My hospital now pulls a triple dose out of me each time I go there, because my body's constantly in "Platelet Replenishment" mode. Platelets are critical for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy and others who've undergone surgery, and not many people donate them.

So there ya go. Somewhere in Massachusetts there are all kinds of people running around with my platelets in them. They're easy to spot because they are hard-working, honest, fair, they don't take bullshit from anyone.

I donate twice a year when they come to work. I have been donating for years.

Pretty much the same here. O neg, so I am a universal donor. Recently switched to doing the double red donations. Problem is, with whole blood I had the bag filled in five minutes flat, the double red takes half an hour as they take some out, strip out the red and give you back the white with some plasma, then repeate a few times. I gave platlettes a few times but talking it over with them it seems like for my blood type the double red is the most useful, so that is waht I have been doing the last couple years.

Also, there is some evidence that donating blood is good for the donor too as forcing the body to make fresh blood is apparently a good thing.

Scroll to the benefits section.

Blood donation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom