Do you donate blood?

One of the local organizations in my town is hosting a Red Cross blood drive.

Do you donate blood at these drives?

I'm stuck on the fence... from what I've heard and read the Red Cross does and spends very little when it comes to emergency disaster relief, and won't divulge how much it spends on recipients of its care vs. the income it receives via charitable contributions and government support. Furthermore, they charge hospitals a ransom for the blood -- sorry, processing overhead.

On the other hand, sick and hurt folks need blood and platelets, right?

Feel free to set me straight -- I'm asking because I don't know the answers.

no. that's my blood. you have to fight me to get it out of my body.

i just don't like needles. i'd only jump up to do it for friends/family in an emergency. otherwise i'm a terrible, selfish person.

i am an organ donor however. won't need them if i am dead, might as well share the love.

I donate blood with Red Cross because they come to my office to collect it. Convenience.

If you want to help and don't trust RC, many larger hospitals run their own blood banks. I gave at MGH when I worked there.

Also, I hate needles in the context of poking holes in people (animals don't squick me out) and won't watch then stick me. But I suck it up. Atilla needs more bacon so he grows some more gumption.

Last edited:
I used to, I think maybe a half a dozen times until I found out that the Red Cross actually takes that blood that I give them for free for dying people and turn around to sell it to hospitals. **** them!

I can't stand needles, which is one reason I don't donate blood. Another is what happened one time my mother donated. She has (in the past) donated as often as possible (taking long enough breaks between) but the last time it hit her hard. She got to her car, puked and passed out. Was able to call 911, and got taken to the hospital (a stone throw from where she was parked). I don't think she's donated since that happened.

While I know we need a certain amount of blood in the system to help hospitals and such, I just won't be one of their supply sources. Since this is still a [mostly] free country, we're not required to give bodily fluids on demand. If we were, I'd make it a point to taint the source just before going to give. [rofl2]

Blood donations are just part of a UN secret pact made with the population of vampires that walk among us to feed them and keep them from feeding on us humans.

[tinfoil]

P.S. wrong forum.

I started donating when WAAF gave out concert tickets. They usually have a drive in Natick in August with good swag. Other times you can usually get something like a free meal at IHOP or other benefits that companies donate to the Red Cross to get people to come to blood dries.

I used to hate needles then I did some medical studies for money and got used to them. I haven't had any problems with the Red Cross people missing the vein or anything. It *REALLY* helps to show up extra hydrated. If you are well hydrated then your vein is easier to hit and your blood will flow out faster and it will be over faster. For men it's actually a good thing to get some of the extra iron out of your blood. Women might want to take iron supplements and avoid donating at certain times of the month.

If you don't like the Red Cross some hospitals do their own blood donations (Metrowest Medical Center does).

no. that's my blood. you have to fight me to get it out of my body.

i just don't like needles. i'd only jump up to do it for friends/family in an emergency. otherwise i'm a terrible, selfish person.

i am an organ donor however. won't need them if i am dead, might as well share the love.

Actually this 100%. Petrified off needles.

I try to a couple times a year.

I was recently scheduled to donate at a drive in town, and when I showed up they said they already reached their capacity and thanked me for my time.

Now I am just stockpiling my own blood at home so I can fake my own death one day.

I used to, I think maybe a half a dozen times until I found out that the Red Cross actually takes that blood that I give them for free for dying people and turn around to sell it to hospitals. **** them!

Look, I don't have the RC numbers in front of me so I don't know if they profit from the blood or not, but providing the blood costs money - nurse salaries, needles, refrigeration, multiple tests to confirm the blood is safe, labeling and tracking, transportation, etc. Who should pay for that? Maybe the people who want the blood?

If you've got numbers showing they are PROFITING from the blood then by all means do share. But "omg! They charge people for providing something that has nontrivial costs!" ain't gonna cut it around here.

I don't know if they profit from the blood or not, but providing the blood costs money - nurse salaries, needles, refrigeration, multiple tests to confirm the blood is safe, labeling and tracking, transportation, etc.... If you've got numbers showing they are PROFITING from the blood then by all means do share.

I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for sharing Nicole.

I don't give blood although I've always felt that I should. Maybe this thread will motivate me to seriously consider it now.

On an aside, there are a TON of great quotes on here. I'm tempted to use one of them for my signature. My favorite goes to Atilla:

i'm a terrible, selfish person.

You can say whatever you want, but you have to admit, she has the virtue of honesty in spades! [smile]

I do a platelet donation, once a year at my club. Needles don't bother me, and you never know when someone close to you might be saved by the donation.

On an aside, there are a TON of great quotes on here. I'm tempted to use one of them for my signature. My favorite goes to Atilla:

You can say whatever you want, but you have to admit, she has the virtue of honesty in spades! [smile]

Haha, Atilla is a girl....

And she looks like Will Hayden's daughter.

Anyone who want's to donate, there is a blood drive at my gun club (Cumberland Beagle Club, Cumberland, RI), this Sunday from 8-12. You get a free breakfast with your donation. I'll be there helping out and donating.

she

she

she

she

she

trophy_zpsfdb9a2bb.jpg~original

man.

I used to donate every 8 weeks but I can't anymore. All you tough guys who don't donate because you're afraid of needles, grow a pair and go donate [smile]

I used to donate every 8 weeks but I can't anymore. All you tough guys who don't donate because you're afraid of needles, grow a pair and go donate [smile]

apparently people on here still think i'm a chick (albeit the filthiest, nastiest one they must know on the internet). so i'm covered.

don't needle me, bro.

I don't knoe. Atilla seems like some of the women I hang out with.
I donate blood regularly and startef donating platelets recently. Not afraid of needles or bleeding. I have gad an interesting life.

I used to donate all the time and have given over a gallon. (possibly 2 by this point) I haven't in a while and I probably should. Those of you who know me IRL know I can spare it. [smile]

My wife went to work for the Red Cross the first week in September of 2001. She was on her way to Boston for training on Tuesday the 11th. Had the radio in the car off because she was talking with a new co-worker. When she got to Boston, she found out what was happening and told to return to her place in Worcester. For the next several weeks THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of pints of blood were donated and people were standing in line for hours for the opportunity to give. The real shame of that is that there was not a big need for blood and due to storage requirements and holding periods, a lot of that blood never got used.

Think I'll stop by the donation center on the way home tomorrow.......

Back
Top Bottom