Do you donate blood?

You can donate directly to a hospital and bypass the red cross. I give to Boston Children's whenever they send the bus up this way. O neg is gold.

Just the Facts

Blood Facts and Statistics | American Red Cross

Facts about American Red Cross Blood Services

• The American Red Cross blood program started in 1940, under the leadership of Dr. Charles Drew.
  • The American Red Cross supplies approximately 40 percent of the nation's blood supply.
  • The Red Cross provides blood for patients in nearly 3,000 hospitals across the U.S.
  • The Red Cross makes blood available to any patient who needs it — patients are not required to find donors to replace the blood they use (a practice common in Europe and some U.S. blood banks) allowing the patient and their family to focus on recovery.
  • Eighty percent of the blood donations given to the Red Cross are collected at mobile blood drives set up at community organizations, companies, high schools, colleges, places of worship or military installations. The remaining 20 percent are collected at fixed Red Cross donor centers.
  • The American Red Cross works with more than 50,000 blood drive sponsors each year to hold more than 200,000 blood drives, providing convenient locations for people to give blood.

[h=2]Facts about the blood supply[/h]
  • The number of blood donations collected in the U.S. in a year: 16 million (2006).
  • The number of blood donors in the U.S. in a year: 9.5 million (2006).
  • The number of patients who receive blood in the U.S. in a year: 5 million (2006).
  • Share of the U.S. population eligible to give blood: Less than 38 percent.
  • Blood cannot be manufactured – it can only come from generous donors.
  • Type O-negative blood (red cells) can be transfused to patients of all blood types. It is always in great demand and often in short supply.
  • Type AB-positive plasma can be transfused to patients of all other blood types. AB plasma is also usually in short supply.

I donated last night.

I got to UMass Medical on Plantation St in Worcester. They're open until 8 on Wednesdays. I get a vacation day for each quart I donate.

I went to the Red Cross a few times, but the last time I went, they told me they it was too close to closing time and all the people standing around doing nothing were too busy to take my blood, and that I should call for an appointment next time.

I keep explaining that to the Red Cross when they call, but they keep calling.

I've been donating at Red Cross drives since 2001. Six times a year (minus one year that I couldn't donate due to a fresh tattoo) equals about 8.5 gallons of blood.

I am type O positive so I guess I'm a universal donor.

Look, I don't have the RC numbers in front of me so I don't know if they profit from the blood or not, but providing the blood costs money - nurse salaries, needles, refrigeration, multiple tests to confirm the blood is safe, labeling and tracking, transportation, etc. Who should pay for that? Maybe the people who want the blood?

If you've got numbers showing they are PROFITING from the blood then by all means do share. But "omg! They charge people for providing something that has nontrivial costs!" ain't gonna cut it around here.

I agree there's a lot of overhead with what they're doing.

I donate a few times per year, and have never had a problem. The only thing, with the Red Cross, the second you're elligible to donate again (8 weeks in most cases), you'll get calls from them every day to schedule another donation.

I did when they came to the office, but they keep changing the rules. Now I can't because I spent too much time in Europe during the 80s\90s

I used to donate regularly. I stopped once I got a real blood pressure check from a real doctor which was much higher than the bs readings they were giving me. I was tipped off about my real bp level by a machine in a walmart. I am now on meds to control it. Also be ready for endless phone calls looking for more donations.

I donate blood every time I cut myself trying to work on something.

Actually, I donate blood when I can, but I have huge veins... I watch them stick me and then try to fill the bag before the nurse lady can walk away; my record is about 4 minutes, and my buddy in Georgia still owes me a beer for it, since I beat him in head to head competitive blood draws.

Interesting side note: eat before you give blood. Last time I donated, I forgot to have breakfast and went in on my lunch break to donate; after it was done, I felt ill, so I went to the bathroom and one of the orderlies found me passed out in the stall... not pleasant. Eat first, then donate.

Im a Universal donor...prime time over here...and i dont give any of it out

Not a drop...love watching a needle go in at the docs when I get blood work...but im selfish...if I know someone who needs it, drain me, if it goes to a charity-Red Cross-whose execs make bout 10x what I do...no thanks...its all mine...liquid gold.

Look, I don't have the RC numbers in front of me so I don't know if they profit from the blood or not, but providing the blood costs money - nurse salaries, needles, refrigeration, multiple tests to confirm the blood is safe, labeling and tracking, transportation, etc. Who should pay for that? Maybe the people who want the blood?

If you've got numbers showing they are PROFITING from the blood then by all means do share. But "omg! They charge people for providing something that has nontrivial costs!" ain't gonna cut it around here.

This. I donate 3 to 5 times per year to the RC (sometimes at MGH). The needle does not hurt. The only thing I don't like is when the nurse pricks my finger prior to donating. The only time I feel tired after donating is when I play basketball within several days of donating (I feel like I'm running on 7 cylinders instead of 8). The benefit of donating blood for other people certainly outweighs any little bit of pain and inconvenience.

I donate blood with Red Cross because they come to my office to collect it. Convenience.

If you want to help and don't trust RC, many larger hospitals run their own blood banks. I gave at MGH when I worked there.

This. I've been giving blood since 1975. They like my type! [wink] Where were all of you in 1975?

trophy_zpsfdb9a2bb.jpg%7Eoriginal

man.

...must....restrain.....comments......

I used to but I live in an area where there are so many tick borne diseases they don't collect here anymore.

+1

"Giving of your body for others is the greatest act of christian sacrifice"

at least that's what Father Francis told me........

i'm working on my 3rd gallon.....

ETA:

i don't donate to the red cross..... i've always gone through the RI Blood Center......

orly? that's my blood type.

MINE TOO! and my daughter's... woo hoo! spare parts!

Last edited:
Yes - I give semi-regularly.
The Red Cross is one of the larger, national suppliers of Blood and one of the most reliable..... At least Now.
Blood Banking is regulated by FDA CDRH and the Red Cross has been forced to do LOT'S of system and process upgrades in response to some rather poor results coming out of FDA Inspections. Work costing Multiple Millions of Dollars for building systems, processes, Inventory Mgmt/Tracking and Quality Control Tests for disease, impurities and spoilage, etc All of which is needed to protect you from contamination when you receive blood during surgery or trauma event.

If you know you are going to need blood for surgery or something - it is a good idea to bank your own blood in advance, but you can't always do that. Red Cross has its problems but it is still Not For Profit like some others in the business

I am a walking miracle of modern science. I take donations, not the other way around.

Thank you all for your contribution, oh and for not giving me aids... that's always a plus. [smile]

... if it goes to a charity-Red Cross-whose execs make bout 10x what I do...no thanks...

So don't give it to The Red Cross. The kids at Boston Children's could use it. Or don't. Whatever.

Back
Top Bottom