• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Divorce

I hope she got 6 months
She never saw prison as far as I know.....but he made out just fine in the divorce. He said the cops that responded made statements for him. Certainly showed the court that she was a malicious, evil kunt.

Going through divorce, my wife filed in May. I came home early one day, without her knowledge, and moved all of my firearms to a friends house, where they are secured to this day. My intent was to avoid any issues as we are still residing in the house together, until the divorce is finalized. She’s coming after my military pension, and the difference between my truck and the Explorer I gave her, and now her lawyer has asked mine to ensure I retain all my firearms. We suspect that she wants me to get an appraisal done. Would love to hear some recommendations.

So give them the list of your firearms, a Rem 870, Ruger 10/22 and a Glock 19 can't add up top that much.

Not trying to be a dick but I think there’s only one person on the planet that can break up an irrevocable trust… and it’s a Family Court judge. From what I’ve heard there would have to be a really really good reason for him to do so like serious financial abuse but the judge could do it.

Now let’s say one of your sons is getting a divorce and there’s 250k in that trust. His ex wife will not be able to get it but he will have to list it as an asset and bring that number into his financial equation. And then they work out the numbers from there for their agreement.
IANAL but SgtHal is IMHO correct, if you are the beneficiary of a trust, it is still a target in divorce proceedings and a Family Court Judge in MA is going to do whatever they effn please, regardless of what the law says.

IANAL but SgtHal is IMHO correct, if you are the beneficiary of a trust, it is still a target in divorce proceedings and a Family Court Judge in MA is going to do whatever they effn please, regardless of what the law says.
I believe prenups don’t stand a chance either. The most powerful person on the planet is a family court Judge, it’s actually really scary

I don't have any specific advice on how to handle your guns. *I* would probably sell all but a couple special ones, and legit split the proceeds with her on any of them acquired while you were married. Any you owned before you should get to keep (?). Wishful thinking, perhaps.

I will say that divorce is awful. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It hurt. It sucked. It was a kick in the nuts. Yada yada...

My NES profile signature line "The best revenge is living well" arose from my divorce in 1998.

Toe the line and do the right things now. Don't get petty. Move on with your best life and don't look back. If there is regret to be had, let it be hers.

I know for a FACT that my ex is envious of my life. I remarried, raised my kids (I fought for and won custody!), and four years ago moved to coastal NC where the living is fine. She's been remarried, divorced again, and apparently lives a miserable existence somewhere in FL.

--------

edited to add, my ex and I had a relatively amicable separation/divorce. We wrote up a ~3-page word doc that we both had input on, both signed, and each took to a lawyer and said "Here - make this legal." They had input, but the lawyers weren't driving the bus. WE were. OK, mostly me, but it worked. She got all the equity on the condo (plus the condo), a paid-for Camry, and $75K cash paid for from my company stock options. I had to find a new place to live, got to keep a '96 T&C LX minivan (with its loan), got to keep my 401k and the remainder of my stock options. My 401k is now approaching $1M in value. The rest of those .25 cent stock options in CISCO in 1998/1999 netted me more than that over time, although some of it went back to her as child support until we flipped that around and she started paying me (1/10th of what I paid, but it was the principle). It works out in the end.

Last edited:
Spousal support (Alimony) usually only comes in to play if you make $250K or more per year and there's a large disparity between spousal incomes.

Child Support, on the other hand, is pretty standard and is based on what both parties make, who has primary custody of the child(ren), who pays for health coverage, etc. It's not uncommon for the wife to pay support if she makes more than dad and/or if dad has the kids more than mom. If the parents make the similar amounts and split the kids evenly, child support is minimal.
And there’s a Time cap on Alimony now in MA unless you’ve been married more than 20 years. No alimony in my case but if there was I would only pay it for 9 years. MA uses a percentage to how long u were married.👍🏻

Get a lawyer, a good one. Let them negotiate for you. DO NOT TRY TO GET THROUGH IT WITHOUT A LAWYER!
“Oh we still get along, we can work this out without lawyers…” No-get a lawyer
“We should work this out instead of paying lawyers” No-get a lawyer
As a coworker used to say”why are divorces so expensive? Because it’s worth it”

For what it's worth , transfer the guns like yesterday.
Right now her lawyer is pounding her hard to file a restraining order.
It seems to be SOP these days to get "Leverage"

My sisters's lawyer badgered her relentlessly to file one against the BIL.
She just wanted to end it amicably ,but the lawyer wouldn't let up on how hard she could f*ck the guy till she fired her.

He’s in MA...she’ll get out of this unscathed and Scott-free, unfortunately.
Not necessarily, granted i got divorced in 97but with a good lawyer I kept my house and my 2 daughters 10 and 3 at the time. I'm not going to lie when i say it was tough and I didn't have a lot of money or guns. The point is if you want to fight expect to spend some money but she is going to lose a lot too. The saying " Only lawyers are winners in a divorce" is true. If you have a lgs maybe they will give you an estimate of what your old, beat up, rusty guns are worth.

Hopefully you posted this over a VPN, using a TOR browser....Most lawyers could care less about guns. They don't see the value in them and often see them as a sacrificial lamb to apease the rage of an ex-wife.

Lol! They claim to be strong and independent until money is involved. Then they are weak and sensitive and need a man's help.

The problem, Fish, is men who haven't been divorced don't have the faintest clue what the process is actually like. Also, few men can put their personal experience aside and recognize the injustice that happens to other men by looking at statistics. The old farts in particular - 65+ - have no clue how women have changed since they were married.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOhJ0O3F7sM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbGgBEmqQ0A

Last edited:
That’s actually not a horrible idea. When all is said and done, you can buy them back for $2 and your friend made a 100% profit.

I(f the collection has some decent value her lawyer will just come after you for hiding assets. The only way around it is to have the courts determine they were assets obtains prior to the marriage and even that might not be enough.

Having divorced already, all I can offer is a hearty CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Other than that, stay above all the b.s. and always take the high-road.

Treat her with the respect you gave her when you were newly married. It'll drive her nuts!

Living well is the best revenge.
Best advice on this thread. Hope OP listens

Shitty comment without context
She stated low paying job at the time - did she put her carrier on hold to support his? We don't know but that happens all the time. The wife and I swapped off finishing up our degrees - would have been llow to consider her a noncontributor while I was building my career before she was able to get her degree.
Initially I worked PT because I wanted to and did the wifey thing. Sammiches, dinner on the table, laundry, cleaning, hem the pants of his business suits, take care of your man. All of that. Then I had to take a couple of year off because of an auto immune problem. He had a great job so no hardship. I was 2 years into a FT job and eventually worked my way up to management level about 2 years after things ended.
Spousal support should no longer be an option. It was necessary when females couldn't work but there no reason for it now.
Strong independent woman getting paid by a man just for existing and being female.
I agree in nearly all situations.
This right here! The problem especially with today’s modern woman is you don’t know what you’re going to get 10,15, 20 years down the road. I think this probably happens to a lot of us, it happened to me. You can never predict that after a woman has kids she hits the wall between 35 and 40 years old, renounces her Christianity, abuses anti-depressants and starts practicing witchcraft.

If two people want to get married fine do not fill out a marriage license! Instead of going to the priest and the state..go to a lawyer draw up your marriage agreement. And become an expert at your state laws when it comes to assets, debts, common law marriage and cohabitation.
News flash. You don't know also know what a man is going to turn out to be 10,15,20 years down the road. People grow and change throughout life. You always hope you grow and change in the same direction but sometimes you don't. That's when the work starts if you really love and respect your spouse.
It's funny when females try to empathize with men when it comes to divorce court.
They have no f***ing clue how good they've got it.
Silly me for not missing the dude with the paranoid/ Bi-polar personality that was cheating on me. What great days those were!

But one of my best life lessons came on the day he moved out. I noticed the cat laying in the sunshine patch where the kitchen table had been.
So I laid down next to her and enjoy the sun in my empty but peaceful house. And the cat never felt the need to go and hide when he came home every day. Because he was gone.

And we (me and my cat) lived happily ever after.

Initially I worked PT because I wanted to and did the wifey thing. Sammiches, dinner on the table, laundry, cleaning, hem the pants of his business suits, take care of your man. All of that. Then I had to take a couple of year off because of an auto immune problem. He had a great job so no hardship. I was 2 years into a FT job and eventually worked my way up to management level about 2 years after things ended.

I agree in nearly all situations.

News flash. You don't know also know what a man is going to turn out to be 10,15,20 years down the road. People grow and change throughout life. You always hope you grow and change in the same direction but sometimes you don't. That's when the work starts if you really love and respect your spouse.

Silly me for not missing the dude with the paranoid/ Bi-polar personality that was cheating on me. What great days those were!

But one of my best life lessons came on the day he moved out. I noticed the cat laying in the sunshine patch where the kitchen table had been.
So I laid down next to her and enjoy the sun in my empty but peaceful house. And the cat never felt the need to go and hide when he came home every day. Because he was gone.

And we (me and my cat) lived happily ever after.
Damn it cowgirl, just when I thought u were on to something u turned out to be just another crazy cat lady😂😂😂 I’m kidding!
There is no doubt that men can be the cause of shit as well. Sorry your ex turned out to be crazy, but the numbers don’t lie. Women have been leaving marriages way more than men and destroying families in the family court system for a long time.

OP, any hint of hiding assets will not go well for you.

Be careful.
Yeah, I don't have the time to read this whole thread, but don't hide assets. The President doesn't have as much power over you as any judge does. If the dollar value of even a really nice firearms collection and a couple of vehicles are significant assets in your divorce, attorneys fees are gonna shock the shit out of you. I spent 30-40 g's in a heartbeat (or 6-7 months), and that didn't even go to trial! I hope, for you sake, you don't have kids. I mean great if you do, but Massachusetts is one of only two states that makes you pay child support after 18, and it basically goes to 23!!!

Going through divorce, my wife filed in May. I came home early one day, without her knowledge, and moved all of my firearms to a friends house, where they are secured to this day. My intent was to avoid any issues as we are still residing in the house together, until the divorce is finalized. She’s coming after my military pension, and the difference between my truck and the Explorer I gave her, and now her lawyer has asked mine to ensure I retain all my firearms. We suspect that she wants me to get an appraisal done. Would love to hear some recommendations.
Sorry to hear brother. Warrior1a is good man...

She doesn't know how many you have or what they are does she? Does she have her LTC? There are no records of what guns you own, she can't prove anything and neither can her lawyer if she didn't have access or interest in them. I think you sold most of them to pay for her explorer didn't you? Maybe you only have two or three now right, maybe a 10/22, a taurus handgun, and a cheap shotgun, maybe a hi-point? That would be my approach. If she's being a c*** about it give it right back. The safe is empty right? Maybe bring 2 or 3 cheap sacrificial guns back home under the radar to make it look good. Maybe she is gonna go for a 209a and the lawyer wants a list to give to the cops too, so be careful.

You know, that is some damned good advice. Leave a few inexpensive, easily-replaceable guns "on the table", sort of speak, for her lawyer to grab or the police to confiscate via 209A Restraining Order. Rent a storage locker out of state for a while and keep the good guns there, along with the rest of your personal effects. Not sure of the military pension. If you finished your service before you married her, she may not be entitled to any of it. If you are still in the reserves or Guard, check with JAG. They will probably know more about such matters than a civilian attorney with no military experience. Thank you for your service and best of luck with this. It will pass and you will be better off in the long run.

I'll make just a few non-lawyer comments.
Don't play games with what guns you have. There will be FA10s for most if not all so the cops already know. And if they do come with an RO, cooperate and give them everything. One word of I don't know or I sold them and you can't provide verifiable info, and you will be arrested and charged. After that, even if the charges are dismissed, you can kiss your LTC goodby, you are forever unsuitable.
Instead, turn in the guns, fight it in court, and have your lawyer arrange to have the guns transferred to someone else. Any arrest will hurt your LTC and your standing in the divorce.

As for fighting over every penny, in the end it's cheaper to just give her half of what she will end up getting anyway. Play the good guy that just wants to move on. It's better than paying for both lawyers and you will recover faster in the end.

I wish you better luck than I had.

When I got divorced six years ago I remember being surprised by the realization of just how much power the judge had over the situation, me, my kids. And I have had a little experience over the years with watching the legal system, but yeah, as someone else said, family court judges have immense power. There's absolutely zero to gain by resisting. Other people have posted great advice to just keep it as amicable as possible. Definitely get your own attorney. It will pay for itself in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom