• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Next gun suggestions?

The "family" thus far:

S&W M&P 9mm (daily carry)
Sig Sauer P220 .45 (home/range/rare midnight carry)
Ruger AR-556 (home/range) ...bought just in time before Tyrannosaurus Maura got all "Hillary will appoint me if I strap on a big anti-gun dildo"...but I digress.

Goals are 1. self/loved-one protection, 2. home defense, 3. general training for proficiency with weapons, 4. hobby/collector/tinkerer...in that order.

I can say I'm covered for 1-2 sufficiently—compared to nothing a year ago (I realize training and learning never ends)...3 & 4 leaves me curious about, say, shotguns or bolt-action rifles or pocket pistols etc.

For 1 & 2 one could argue going to a smaller handgun up to a shotgun.

Feel free to ask or discuss your next purchases/wish list too. Forgive me if there are a million similar threads.....

Probably something that has a trigger and goes boom when you tell it to. Beyond that the options are as scattered and varied as stars in the night sky...

I've been eyeing the Remington 870 Marine Police version shotguns. Probably my next purchase. They look sick.

Wheel gun; chambered in .357

Lever action rifle/carbine; chambered in .357

Pump/semi-auto shotgun; 12 gauge

Coonan Classic 1911; chambered in .357

SR22; because it is inexpensive and a hoot

Ruger 10/22; any flavor

Regular 1911 in 45

Goliathan, haha yes I definitely can appreciate that it's a can of worms.

Good replies folks, it gives me some ideas...

1911 <- I do appreciate them (now) but at first they seemed (not sure how to describe it, overkill/expensive for the immediate needs). I can see the attraction and usefulness now though.

StevieP yes the P220 gets me close to 1911-level. My pre-gun-owning self was attracted to the P220 w/decocker moreso any thumb-safety 1911s, not sure I am as picky now though. I carry with 1 in the chamber be it the Sig P220 or S&W M&P 9mm, so I guess I didn't want to contend with the 1911 safety vs. point and shoot.

Revolver <- a bit reticent at first (semi-auto bias?) but that could happen and I should at least gain proficiency...

Shotgun <- could be more practical for home vs. an AR-15 and good for experience as well as to dabble in hunting someday

...anything tinier than the S&W M&P 9mm?
...would have liked to try AK-47 or an AR-10 and I guess it can be done via private sale but I'm still a newbie in terms of purchasing outside of a Local Gun Store...

Appreciate the support, I'm still in the excited phase, not yet jaded haha. I can say I do a lot of research before buying and I think the guns I have so far strike a good balance for quality/reliability and cost. The next gun will be similar...doesnt need to be cheap, doesnt need to be expensive, just needs excellent reviews and features for the money.

Last edited:
classic milsurp bolt gun, revolver, shotgun, lever gun, 1911 because 'MERICA! and God's Handgun as blessed to humanity by his prophet Moses.

variety is the spice of life

Last edited:
I always say everyone needs....

Full size service pistol ( you have that covered)
Carry gun ( also covered )
Scoped Rifle
Shotgun
Magazine fed rifle ( AR/AK)
22 rifle
22 pistol

Lather rinse and repeat. Once you have the basics, then on to fun stuff. Duplicates/ similar are cool if they make you happy.
I love my wheel guns. I will never sell my 686 or my M29.
I love my lever action rifles, 3 in 30-30 and 1 in 22.

15-22 with a decent red dot is so much fun it is scary. Everybody loves the 15-22. AR feel and so easy to shoot.
Also love my Henry Golden boy. Great rifle and you can use any 22 ammo. Shorts, shot shell, cheap ass golden bullets... whatever.
A couple 1911's and 3 or 4 Sigs make me smile. Tough to pick a favorite... But 4" - 686 and my custom AR's are cool.

Ruger Single 10 revolver.
It's a classic single action and in 22lr.
Great for teaching a new shooter how to shoot.
And they are fun as heck to shoot and you can't go through ammo as fast as a semi can.

Any love for the Tavor X95? Think about pulling the trigger on one before it's banned as well. 18" barrel though...

On topic: I bought my brother a Ruger GP161 in .357 for Xmas. He loves it. I want one now too.

Buy this! I was checking one out today at Gartman and this is such a beautiful gun I didn't even care it was in .380.

25976.jpg

Any love for the Tavor X95? Think about pulling the trigger on one before it's banned as well. 18" barrel though...

Honestly yes, I am really interested. I have 5.56 covered but Tavor X95 is tempting if nothing else for the formfactor. Bullpups are intriguing. The DP-12 shotgun as well...

Wheel gun; chambered in .357

Lever action rifle/carbine; chambered in .357

Pump/semi-auto shotgun; 12 gauge

Coonan Classic 1911; chambered in .357

SR22; because it is inexpensive and a hoot

Ruger 10/22; any flavor

Regular 1911 in 45

I've got the Coonan classic and it is one of my favorite guns to shoot. It wasn't cheap and the prices have gone up since I bought mine new in March 2015.

Back
Top Bottom