Dick's will not sell handgun ammo to LTC-A with restrictions

How does this make any sense, who is ever gonna buy it? Cops?

I started buying ammo elsewhere once their prices went sky high. Screw them.

Well you can buy it if you have an unrestricted license. But yeah it doesn't make any sense. Does Dick's think that a restricted LTC means you can buy/possess guns but NOT ammo?? So ridiculous. I bought some 22 ammo and a gun safe there a few years ago and that's the last time I've spent money there.

I had a lengthy talk with the veteran working the Ammo counter at the Saugus Dick's. He said just recently at a managers meeting that this new store policy was rolled out for stores in Massachusetts.

I politely asked for the manager, who had admitted she wasn't sure, but that's what she recalled hearing - she apologized as she was on vacation when the new policy came out.

Ammo counter guy's name is James, a veteran who knew the policy was BS; but needed his job. Manager on duty is Beth. She said it came from some New England Dick's product manager or something. I asked how to file a formal complaint. They took my information and James promised that he'd reach out as soon as he found out more information.

Beth said I would have to contact Dick's corporate. There's no formal complaint form at the store.

I was trying to buy a 325ct box of 22LR.. Lol.
Feel free to call the Saugus store and ask if this is true. If you do, feel free to contact corporate and let them know how you feel.

I need to draft an email and send it off to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your really gonna draft an email and sent it to Corp??

[laugh][laugh]

I mean, I guess I can just sit idly, hands tied and sulk about it. Not post about it on NES and go on my merry way. Why fight right?

No, you can just take your money elsewhere instead, and get your friends to do the same. That's a lot better than trying to convince some morons that operate a chain of sporting goods stores to pull their head out of their ass. There's nothing lost by not being able to buy ammunition at Dicks.

-Mike

No, you can just take your money elsewhere instead, and get your friends to do the same. That's a lot better than trying to convince some morons that operate a chain of sporting goods stores to pull their head out of their ass. There's nothing lost by not being able to buy ammunition at Dicks.

-Mike

Oh I'm not going to try very hard to change their tune - I'll tell them they're idiots though. I was just killing time while my roommate was getting his truck's battery changed at Sears.

Walmart fills my 22LR needs and everything else I buy online. I only go to Dick's when I know they've got some crazy deal going on. Like when I bought two cans of 420rds XM193 for $150 each.

I was going to make a stop in Saugus yesterday but went to Danvers instead. They looked at my LTC(restricted) per their "usual" ammo purchase procedures, but no issues other than that.

been buying @ dicks in brockton, taunton, hanover, plymouth, and dedham at sale prices for years. never had an issue, no perp walks to the register, score card bonus points usually go to stocking hornady critical defense ammo (overpriced wherever you buy it in mass) ymmv and obviously does for most.

I mean, I guess I can just sit idly, hands tied and sulk about it. Not post about it on NES and go on my merry way. Why fight right?

What I meant by it was you prolly have more important things to do with your time then wast it on Dick's..

It's there stupid rule. I'll keep my $$ [grin]

been buying @ dicks in brockton, taunton, hanover, plymouth, and dedham at sale prices for years. never had an issue, no perp walks to the register, score card bonus points usually go to stocking hornady critical defense ammo (overpriced wherever you buy it in mass) ymmv and obviously does for most.

Ditto. Nice folks staffing The Lodge, enjoy shopping there. Only issue from time to time is finding a sales associate, but it hasn't been a stopper.

It's a benefit to all of us that Dick's sells guns and ammo, mainstreams them right out in front of the non-shooting general public including families, soccer moms, kids. When a kid can get gratuitous grief for the shape of his pizza slice, having big box stores like Dick's, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Walmart and others include guns and ammo in their merchandise mix and advertising is an important public service. In the absence of major retailers like this, we'd be left with a smattering of mom-and-pop purveyors, who, as much as we love them, are often consigned to B and C locations out of the public eye. Remember when K-Mart sold M1 Carbines in self-serve barrels sitting right out on the floor? A firearms maven today might turn up his nose at the idea setting foot in a K-Mart. Yet, is there anyone who doesn't believe we'd be better off, in terms of public acceptance of guns as normal merchandise and gun owners as normal folks, if K-Mart brought back guns and ammo?

attachment.php

Attachments

• dsg_hunting1.jpg
    dsg_hunting1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Has anyone followed up with the store since the OP? is contacting corporate the way to go? do we tweet? As a younger member of the forum, ill see what tweeting their PR people does, its often faster than a corporate letter

@dicks 10/13 Saugus,MA store mgt. is no longer accepting the LTC-A(restricted-hunting/sport) for ammo purchases. Is this policy correct?

struggled to get it under 140 characters

Last edited:
It's a benefit to all of us that Dick's sells guns and ammo... having big box stores like Dick's, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Walmart and others include guns and ammo in their merchandise mix and advertising is an important public service.

totally agree, even if their prices and policies suck, they serve a purpose

Complaining to corporate likely won't change anything, but there is nothing wrong with reminding them that they lost money with their policy.

The cancer is spreading. There is an ad on NES selling large-cap mags ONLY to someone with a LTC-A UNRESTRICTED!! [shocked]

Stupidity in the air? [rolleyes]

Last edited:
I suppose this could create additional grounds for a legal challenge if the LTC-A with restrictions becomes a de jure no purchase, no 'high' capacity, & no carry "license to do so" in name early.

Another plus from mainstream retailers like Dick's, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Walmart, Gander Mountain is convenience. They tend to be open 7 days per week including evenings.

Ditto. Nice folks staffing The Lodge, enjoy shopping there. Only issue from time to time is finding a sales associate, but it hasn't been a stopper.

It's a benefit to all of us that Dick's sells guns and ammo, mainstreams them right out in front of the non-shooting general public including families, soccer moms, kids. When a kid can get gratuitous grief for the shape of his pizza slice, having big box stores like Dick's, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Walmart and others include guns and ammo in their merchandise mix and advertising is an important public service. In the absence of major retailers like this, we'd be left with a smattering of mom-and-pop purveyors, who, as much as we love them, are often consigned to B and C locations out of the public eye. Remember when K-Mart sold M1 Carbines in self-serve barrels sitting right out on the floor? A firearms maven today might turn up his nose at the idea setting foot in a K-Mart. Yet, is there anyone who doesn't believe we'd be better off, in terms of public acceptance of guns as normal merchandise and gun owners as normal folks, if K-Mart brought back guns and ammo?

attachment.php

I buy ammo where I can find it. Dick's prices usually are not so great but when they have a sale it is usually worth while. I see some of the BS that people put up with at Walmart with their store by store made up policy but people still shop there.
There is stupidity at all levels. I went to Cabelas a few weeks ago to get some 380 that was on sale on the web site. It was a different price at the store. I asked a clerk and he said that it was normal for the online prices not to be the price at the store. He agreed with me that it was stupid.

All major retail outlets have stupidity due to people in corporate offices make decisions on local policy.

I had a lengthy talk with the veteran working the Ammo counter at the Saugus Dick's. He said just recently at a managers meeting that this new store policy was rolled out for stores in Massachusetts.

I politely asked for the manager, who had admitted she wasn't sure, but that's what she recalled hearing - she apologized as she was on vacation when the new policy came out.

Ammo counter guy's name is James, a veteran who knew the policy was BS; but needed his job. Manager on duty is Beth. She said it came from some New England Dick's product manager or something. I asked how to file a formal complaint. They took my information and James promised that he'd reach out as soon as he found out more information.

Beth said I would have to contact Dick's corporate. There's no formal complaint form at the store.

I was trying to buy a 325ct box of 22LR.. Lol.
Feel free to call the Saugus store and ask if this is true. If you do, feel free to contact corporate and let them know how you feel.

I need to draft an email and send it off to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did you point out that the LR in .22LR stands for long rifle and therefore it's rifle ammo than can be sold to a FID holder?

did you point out that the LR in .22LR stands for long rifle and therefore it's rifle ammo than can be sold to a FID holder?

Real conversation that happened:

"I need some 44 magnum"

"That's for rifles and not pistols..."

"Uh...it's for both..."

*Blank stare*

Idiots

I'm a Saugus resident and I sometimes shop at Dicks because it's so close.

I'd be surprised if this is a Saugus PD directive. At least the officer in charge of licencing is pretty cool and pro 2A. It was always my understanding that making you exit to the parking lot was the policy of Simon Malls.

Maybe I'll stop by tonight and get an update.

If they won't sell to anyone with restrictions, will they sell to FID holders?

THIS!

attachment.php

I tracked down a DSG email for the EVP. Some LinkedIn Profiles for messages and a couple of e-mails for community marketing managers for the Boston area.
I just need to draft an e-mail that's professional in nature and see if it gets anywhere.

When they ask me that I just stare at them and ask "Since I'm obviously over 21, why are you even asking me that?". (they look at the grey beard and the thinning hair get tend to mutter... and sell me the ammo. I actually did buy a box at WallyWorld so I could try it out before deciding if I wanted to order a case of it. 300 Blackout, 120 gr supersonic bullets.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom