• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dick's will not sell handgun ammo to LTC-A with restrictions

I had a lengthy talk with the veteran working the Ammo counter at the Saugus Dick's. He said just recently at a managers meeting that this new store policy was rolled out for stores in Massachusetts.

I politely asked for the manager, who had admitted she wasn't sure, but that's what she recalled hearing - she apologized as she was on vacation when the new policy came out.

Ammo counter guy's name is James, a veteran who knew the policy was BS; but needed his job. Manager on duty is Beth. She said it came from some New England Dick's product manager or something. I asked how to file a formal complaint. They took my information and James promised that he'd reach out as soon as he found out more information.

Beth said I would have to contact Dick's corporate. There's no formal complaint form at the store.

I was trying to buy a 325ct box of 22LR.. Lol.
Feel free to call the Saugus store and ask if this is true. If you do, feel free to contact corporate and let them know how you feel.

I need to draft an email and send it off to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any many people still buy from them because of various reasons.

**** em.

I understand it's private entity policy, but I'm interested to see why they chose this bullshit.

Yikes, The one in nashua only checked if I was over 21 for pistol ammo. They're probably gonna change it few months from the drop in sales when they realize how many people have restricted ltc's.

Last edited:
There is a reason that the store is called "Dick's"!!

Just boycott them totally and let them create whatever policies they want.

They aren't worth wasting the oxygen on trying to reason with the morons that run that business (and I'm talking corporate management).

My blood just about hit its boiling point when the girl at the register asked me for my FID for a box of clays.. I then said "for what!?". She proceeded with an, 'oh never mind' 'it usually asks me for an FID for those'.

I let it slide, since she was just a cashier; not a sporting goods employee. They gave my roommate the walk of shame for a box of 22LR..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
what is james a veteran of....dick's ammo counter or armed forces?

i don't see a reason to shop at dick's. every month or so there's a thread bitching about the place and their oddball policies. i've been twice and they aren't doing you any favors. if someone has to shop around to save 50 cents on a box of ammo...well this shooting business is too rich for them. go somewhere else, problem solved

Another reason for me to forgo Dick's (and other big box stores) and do business with my LGS.
This. They have noting worth buying, and the policies suck. Don't get mad at them, get mad and write a letter to who restricted your right.

meh, I stopped buying ammo at dicks when they asked if the ammo was being used in a rifle or handgun....it was a box of 12ga and he insisted he needed the answer to release the sale. they're less and less helpful there these days anyway.

I used to go there because I couldn't find .38 anywhere else during the post-Sandy Hook madness. Now I only really go to FS.

If they have a Facebook page, then why not put something there? Since companies want to portray all nice shiny positive things, customers and potential customers need to see the complete picture. Otherwise the next person is going to drive 30 minutes out of their way to go there, buy ammo, and come home empty handed. If that doesn't work, then create a don't shop at Dicks page. That should get their attention when they have a few hundred likes form Massachusetts.

If they have a Facebook page, then why not put something there? Since companies want to portray all nice shiny positive things, customers and potential customers need to see the complete picture. Otherwise the next person is going to drive 30 minutes out of their way to go there, buy ammo, and come home empty handed. If that doesn't work, then create a don't shop at Dicks page. That should get their attention when they have a few hundred likes form Massachusetts.
https://www.facebook.com/Dicks-Sporting-Goods-102266819871847/reviews/

In general I don't buy ammo at Dick's however there have been a few occasions when they were having a good sale combined with the $ off from my Scorecard account that caused me to pull the trigger. In general about the only thing I buy there is a few dozen golf balls over the course of the season.

There are 3 or 4 places where I buy ammo and reloading supplies on a regular basis and none of them are chains or big box stores. Need to support the small guy and local businesses or else they will go away.

The list of places NESers won't shop is long and growing every day - don't shop at Dicks, don't shop at Northshore Firearms, FS counter staff is rude, etc.

Bottom line, I shop wherever I can find the best prices and where I can find what I'm looking for. Sometimes Dicks is good, sometimes it isn't. I bought my Mossberg Maverick 88 for $160 a few years ago at Dicks and I've been dragging it around the woods ever since. I doubt I could have made such a deal at a local gun shop.

Dicks in Saugus deals with the very stupid Saugus police policies - the PD tells them a customer isn't allowed to exit into the mall with just purchased ammo. How dumb is that? I am actually amazed they still sell guns at all at that location having to deal with those sort of things.

How does this make any sense, who is ever gonna buy it? Cops?

I started buying ammo elsewhere once their prices went sky high. Screw them.

Well, I can come out and say that I had been on the benefitting end a few years back where they inadvertently sold case ammo at box price. Got a few of them. I don't think I purchased any more ammo from them unless they had the BOGO deal. It's been a while.

They got all of that and thensome on the kids sporting gear though. I figure we are even. They can keep the ammo.

meh, I stopped buying ammo at dicks when they asked if the ammo was being used in a rifle or handgun....it was a box of 12ga and he insisted he needed the answer to release the sale. they're less and less helpful there these days anyway.

Well, ya know...............
[laugh]

12_gauge_revolver-tfb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom