Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

[rolleyes]

I suggest you read MGLs on what restrictions can be placed. MGL allows the CLEO to place whatever sort of restrictions he wishes.

I don't support the S/T/NCC restriction. However, when people with no first-hand knowledge immediately bash the BPD and try to discourage Boston residents from even trying to apply for an restricted LTC-A because "they will not give out any sort of LTC", it makes me sick.

Make no mistake, it isn't Davis (although he's definitely an anti) or anyone else forcing these policies, it's dictator-for-life Mumbles Menino. Every single officer I have encountered during my time as a Boston licensee, from the guards at the door, to the officers in the licensing division, to the Moon Island officers, as well as all the administrative personnel, have been nothing but helpful, courteous, and professional, which is more than can be said for many other towns, even some green ones.

Boston's overall licensing policies absolutely suck, but they are much better than many other towns out there, such as the B-rammers. Read some of those posts where it's taking some people three months just to get an appointment for an LTC in other towns, or even longer, and then up to six months to get the license. As red towns go, Boston isn't bad, because they have a dedicated department for licensing which means you can apply just about any day, without an appointment, and because they generally get your license out within the 3-6 weeks required by law.

This thread is for assisting Boston residents in applying for an LTC.

BTW, good job resorting to an ad hominem attack. I'm glad you're able to have a civilized discussion.
I am very familiar with the Boston System and the MGL's. A No Conceal Carry restriction is not a legal restriction for a Class A license. It is associated with a Class B license. My comments are based on first hand knowledge. The only agency discouraging citizens from applying in Boston are the BPD licensing agents. The only person I've every read any comments supporting the unfair process in Boston is you. You support the restrictive, capricious and arbitrary policy of the BPD licensing agent every time you respond.
Best regards.

A No Conceal Carry restriction is not a legal restriction for a Class A license.
First off, I do not agree with the BPD licensing policies so please don't confuse this with support for such policies.

"No concealed carry" is a statutory restriction on Class B LTCs, which means that all LTC-Bs as thusly restricted even if there is no specific nomenclature on the license.

MGL chapter 140 section 131 allows the licensing authority to issue the license "subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper". The MIRCS system has a pulldown menu of restrictions, however, the issuing authority can add any restriction they wish - provided, of course, that they deem such restriction proper. They cannot add restrictions they do not deem proper :).

If you mean that "no concealed carry" is not an implicit restriction on an LTC-A, you are correct. If you mean that it is not legal for the issuing authority to add a "no concealed carry" restriction to an LTC-A you are in error.

First off, I do not agree with the BPD licensing policies so please don't confuse this with support for such policies.

"No concealed carry" is a statutory restriction on Class B LTCs, which means that all LTC-Bs as thusly restricted even if there is no specific nomenclature on the license.

MGL chapter 140 section 131 allows the licensing authority to issue the license "subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper". The MIRCS system has a pulldown menu of restrictions, however, the issuing authority can add any restriction they wish - provided, of course, that they deem such restriction proper. They cannot add restrictions they do not deem proper :).

If you mean that "no concealed carry" is not an implicit restriction on an LTC-A, you are correct. If you mean that it is not legal for the issuing authority to add a "no concealed carry" restriction to an LTC-A you are in error.

Thanks Rob.

One of the most despicable features of the MA licensing system, besides the need for licenses themselves, is the fact that the licensing authority can add any restriction they want. If they want to put "you can only carry your firearm between your home and the 7-11 down on the corner", they can do that. If they want to say "no concealed carry", they can do that. They can say "open carry only", or "carry only in the home" or "carry only for employment", or "carry to the range and back only" or "carry only on your lawn" if they wish. The licensing authority can place any restrictions they wish on a Class A license.

Unlike you, I've learned that ranting about policies and laws online does nothing and thus I don't waste my time doing so. Feel free to paint me any way you wish, but perhaps you should learn more about the laws before you make categorically false statements.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the revolver I used when I took my test at Moon Island recently was in good condition and had a very reasonable trigger pull. These aren't POS rust buckets that require the Incredible Hulk to operate. Perhaps I just got lucky.
Everyone that I've spoken with has said the same thing.

However, for some people they just aren't a viable option. I had a student who was trying to renew her license in Boston. She had lung cancer. She didn't have much strength left in her hands. Taking a range test outdoors on Moon Island in February just wasn't feasible for her. Doing so with a DA revolver just wasn't going to work.

Unlike you, I've learned that ranting about policies and laws online does nothing and thus I don't waste my time doing so. Feel free to paint me any way you wish, but perhaps you should learn more about the laws before you make categorically false statements.
I'm not ranting on line about policies and laws, I'm challenging your support for such policies. Your response to a post by Lens about a person who may have a slight disability is basically, "it would be a good law suit." It seems you give no thought to the cost of that lawsuit or consideration to what the "disabled" person may have to go through. The information that Boston has upped the score for passing at Moon Island to 240 is news. It is news to all of us who live in Boston and will have to renew here. I have not made any "categorically false" statements. The bottom line is this: the BPD Licensing Process is capricious and arbitrary. They will do whatever they want to whomever they want as long as they go unchallenged.
Best Regards.

Last edited:
I called boston pd's department of licensing today to inquire about the requirements for a LTC class A license and got some interesting information. The woman on the phone listed off all of the typical requirements (birth cert, 2 bills, certificate of completion of a safety course, etc) and then stopped short on the letter from your gun club. I asked her what the deal was and she told me that this part of the process was being changed this week. I asked for further details and she just told me to call back next week after the law/etc gets 'worked on.'

Needless to say, I'm pretty nervous. Anyone have any further details? Perhaps it's been posted in another part of these forums?

Anyways, great forum you guys have here. You guys are very helpful! [grin]

Last edited:
flintoid, just "stay tuned".

"Requirements" are always "subject to change" . . . most often the changes are negative, but perhaps this one could be positive . . . wouldn't that be a breathe of fresh air?

I called boston pd's department of licensing today to inquire about the requirements for a LTC class A license and got some interesting information. The woman on the phone listed off all of the typical requirements (birth cert, 2 bills, certificate of completion of a safety course, etc) and then stopped short on the letter from your gun club. I asked her what the deal was and she told me that this part of the process was being changed this week. I asked for further details and she just told me to call back next week after the law/etc gets 'worked on.'

Needless to say, I'm pretty nervous. Anyone have any further details? Perhaps it's been posted in another part of these forums?

Anyways, great forum you guys have here. You guys are very helpful! [grin]

I was advised ~1 week ago that this change was BEING CONSIDERED, but I was asked to hold back making any announcement until it was confirmed. It looks like this may well be confirmed within the next week. Everyone keep your fingers crossed as this will be a big step forward for Boston (and gun owners who live there).

Call her back next week as she requested and then please let us all know if this is confirmed as a new policy.

I was advised ~1 week ago that this change was BEING CONSIDERED ....

Call her back next week as she requested and then please let us all know if this is confirmed as a new policy.

edit: does this mean that the letter confirming a good standing membership at a gun club will be left out of the process?

Sorry, but my mind is running wild at the moment.

Last edited:
I've been in there a couple of times lately and have met with head of the licensing unit. I've also been tracking some recent applicants. I think they're trying to do a better job of running the unit. The policies haven't changed (yet???) from what I see, but they do seem to have cut way down on the nuisance and BS factor. They're making decisions and processing applications on time, people are getting straight answers at the counter, etc. I haven't heard of anyone getting the run-around lately. The rules are still the rules, but customer service seems to have improved.

Given that so many people drop their club membership once they get their LTC, I can see why BPD might conclude it's not useful. I wonder if they'll do the same thing with the range test? I've got to believe they hate doing it and hardly, if ever, use it to deny an applicant.

BTW - the head of the unit seems to be a pretty decent, matter-of-fact guy - no BS. He's still got policies to follow, but they don't seem to included giving people a lot of crap for wanting their permits. He even had Chief Glidden's book out they day I met with him.

edit: does this mean that the letter confirming a good standing membership at a gun club will be left out of the process?

Sorry, but my mind is running wild at the moment.

All it means as of today is "stay tuned"!

Any policy change MUST be approved by higher-ups and it would be silly to guess what the end result might be at this point.

You were told wait a week and call back, then you'll have precise info on what they require wrt club memberships, if any.

My crystal ball is out for repair, so I can't second guess what the end result will be.

KD is right, Boston seems to be very cooperative (within their parameters) these days, a far cry from the 6month+ run-around they used to give applicants (and that was even before 1998 when the laws changed)!!

Gotcha. I promise my reading comprehension will be improved next time. I apologize.

I'll update this thread next week when I get a solid answer. I'll also be sure to provide additional feedback if my LTC experience is any better than what seems to be typical in Boston. Thanks for the feedback, KD and LenS.

I wonder if they'll do the same thing with the range test? I've got to believe they hate doing it and hardly, if ever, use it to deny an applicant.
I don't think so. If you don't pass the test, you don't get your LTC. I gave private instruction to a fellow who failed the test. After a few hours of training with me, he retook the test and passed easily.

I just got to the BPD this week to submit my application. Yes, they are still requesting club membership letters.

The process was fairly straighforward and quick. I didn't even speak much with the officer processing the application, he just went down the list of application questions, selected LTC-A (and Sport/Target under REASON), and asked for my paperwork. It took about 30 minutes all together with photo and fingerprints.

I scheduled Moon Island the following day and got that out of the way. There were a few of us at Moon Island, one guy was qualifying for an LTC for work and they told him he needed to get a 240/300. The rest of us needed to get a 210/300. The range officers were great guys too.

The revolvers we all used were the Ruger Speed Six model. They were well maintained and in great condition - no complaints there.

They said about 5 weeks for the license to come.......

Last edited:
Went to the BPD this morning to apply for my LTC-A. Two noticeable things have changed:

-you no longer need a letter from your gun club claiming your in 'good standing' as a member
-you no longer need 2 references for application

I handed the processing agent all of my paper work (including the letter from my gun club) and he handed it back. They only took my birth certificate, certificate of a basic pistol safety course, my driver's license, and 2 utility bills.

The police officer that processed me was really, really nice. He talked about my job and about where I lived. It was all pleasant small talk. They take an electronic fingerprint of your right index finger as part of the background check. They also do the old school ink prints for all of your digits. When I asked whether I should fill in the references on a form, he said there was no need to anymore.

I was processed for a LTC-A sport and target. I asked him if there was any way that I could get one with no restrictions and he then gave me the standard explanation (you must be a business owner w/large cash deposits, victim of a violent crime, or the mayor).

He told me as I was walking out of the door that I'd get my license in 6-8 weeks.

Moon Island test:

When you pull up to the target range (I got there plenty early) there may or may not be a ton of police cars there. There was a shooting class going on for them when I pulled up, so I parked along the road in front of the old sewage treatment canals. One of the guys testing didn't park there, and instead pulled up into the range parking lot. The officers taking the course did not like this as it's kind of reserved for them. Anyways, I waited in my car until 15 minutes prior to the scheduled course, and then walked up to the building and sat on the park benches until they called me into the building.

The test isn't that difficult. It is outdoors, in the open, so if it's raining... you're getting rained on. The police running the deal were incredibly nice. They told us what to do and what not to do as far as safety is concerned. They emphasized a few times that safety is the focus of this course: they see you pointing the gun around like an idiot, or anything else retarded, you're done. They also said that we can use both hands, single action for the entire test. The way they see it, if you're going to be shooting your gun, you're going to be shooting it in the most comfortable way you see fit. All the guys down there were a bunch of nice dudes. At the range, they told me 3-5 weeks for the license to arrive in the mail... a bit contradictory from the people at the police department. I hope they're right!

I scored a 289 out of 300. 7 yards, two handed, single action.. you better drill the center of the target. The 15 yard shots weren't hard either, but if it's cold out, you may need some nice gloves to keep your hands steady. It was brisk so I took a little longer than I would have liked.

Anyone that says that these pistols aren't well kept is off his rocker. They are fairly well kept ruger speed six's. My cylinder didn't just roll out like some nicer revolvers that I've shot, but it was a firearm that shot very true.

I've marked the course on google maps... since there are no real adequate directions for you to get there. Here you guys go:
google maps link
please note that this isn't the actual address... look on the satellite view and you'll see the parking lot of the range right next to the canals... the google address is more or less where the fire fighting practice course is.

You can see the old canals on google maps and the range parking lot. Park in front of the canals. But not too far away or in front of the trash dumpster that can be there. A truck needed to back into it and pick it up before I walked up to the range.

Last edited:
(you must be a business owner w/large cash deposits, victim of a violent crime, or the mayor)
Victim of the mayor?[wink]
Living in Boston is akin to being the victim of a violent crime.

That is the form that they print out and give to you with all your info.

I filled out a green form, but didn't have to fill in the reference section. But that linked .pdf form is what they printed off two copies of, and gave me the second. They entered the data into the state form from the green form that I filled out. My guess is that they'll keep using the green form, as they give you the last page that has the 'surrender of firearms' stuff on it. Or they could possibly switch over to it and just give you that one single page...

Nice catch, Ricky!

Last edited:
Recent Application and Moon Island Test

I'm new to the Forum and just came home from my Moon Island test, and I wanted to give people the newest info.

Before I went down to the PD, I spoke with the new CLO, a Lt. Harrington. He told me that you no longer need to join a gun club, a point which was confirmed when I submitted my application. I was able to use my comcast bill as proof of residency, but was told that it is only allowed if it is a "bundle" package of phone/internet/television. I only needed one bill as well - they handed the 2nd back to me. That being said, my "bundle" is only television and internet, but they accepted it anyway.

I wrote down "All Lawful Purposes" and included a letter outlining the various crimes that I've been subjected to since moving to Boston, so I'll let you all know if I get the license for concealed carry or just sport/target. If I do get ALP, I will give an outline of the letter for people to see what works/doesn't. (On a side note, I love this town, and I think that more people who own guns should stay here and fight the good fight. I know, I'm crazy - something about the world class restaurants, museums, culture, music, job opportunities, colleges, etc. make me willing to put up with illogical gun laws.)

Moon Island officers were great - friendly, funny, courteous. The range officer in particular wanted us to all pass and went over everything in detail. Unlike one of the more recent posts, we were forced to shoot double-action from the 7 yard line, but were allowed to use two hands throughout. The officer said that it is because he is more concerned about safety than enforcing that rule. Passing score is still a 210, but is up to 240 for people who are getting their license to carry on the job. I scored a 283, and the officer not only wrote down that score (rather than "pass") in the book, but he told me that he faxes the scores to the HQ as well. I'm not sure if it matters, but I imagine that a good score can't hurt if you are requesting ALP.

I was also told by the range officer that at the moment, the licenses are coming in quickly, and I should expect mine in exactly 6 weeks from today, but we'll see.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update as of 11/18/09:

I received my license exactly 5 weeks to the day after my Moon Island test. Sport/Target only, so I won't bother posting my letter, as it didn't do any good. Oh well, still happy to have my LTC and will be shopping for my first revolver over the holidays. Best to all of you.

Last edited:
i did the same in boston and just went to the medway police dept. its actuall 6:00pm and he brought me right in. never mind the boston banking hours...only cost 100$ and 20min of time.....GLAD I MOVED AWAY FROM BOSTON

Went to hand in my application today. Confirmed you do not need a letter from your gun club and 2 references are no longer needed. Moon island test is on next Wednesday.

Edit: Moon Island test date and times has also changed

Monday 4pm
Wednesday 7am & 4pm
Friday 4pm

1/20/10 Just got back from the range. Scored a 288/300. Officers there were very nice as everyone said. The officer let us use 2 hands for the 7 and 15 yard. 7 yard being double action and 15 being single action. Officers said 5 weeks. Very easy test. It was kind of dark out being 7am and the sights on the ruger weren't as great as I hoped but was still able to keep everything in the black.

License issued and recieved in Feb. Took 5 weeks from Moon Island test date and 6 weeks from application. Class A sports/target, NO concealed carry. -_-

Last edited:
I'm new to the forum. I applied for my LTC -A in Boston for the first time and the information on this forum was helpful and encouraging, so thanks everyone.

Update - license issued and received in March, just shy of 6 weeks from application and 5 weeks from Moon Island test date. Class A, no concealed carry. It came pretty much when the range officers said it would: 5-6 weeks from the range test.

Last edited:
A COUPLE OF TIPS THAT MAY HELP.

I recently applied for a license to carry (LTC) in Boston and the information provided on this thread is extremely helpful. It saved me a lot of time so thank you guys; however, I have a couple of extra tips that you may find helpful.

1- DO NOT BOTHER FILLING OUT THE ONLINE APPLICATION. I called the licensing deparment before I applied and they told me I could download the application from their website (www.cityofboston.gov/police) and then when I went in to the headquaters to apply I was told they didn't need that application. Needless to say it was a waste of time filling that out. Though the interviewing agent will fill it out with you at the headquarters and give you a copy of it with a picture of you on it.

2- FOR THOSE WHO ARE NATURALIZED CITIZENS, you need to bring your birth certificate. It does not matter in which language it is. They need to have a copy of it on file and will not process you if you do not have all the appropriate documents.

3- BE ON TIME... THIS CANNOT BE EMPHASIZED ENOUGH. And by on time I mean a couple of minutes early. Someone was told to reschedule because they arrived EXACTLY ONE MINUTE LATE (test was at 7 o'clock in the morning and he arrived at 7:01A.M.). Also, for those going after work) go at least 30 minutes to closing (or more) to the headquarters on the day you apply for your license. If you're 15 minutes to closing they will not let you apply (they sent me home and I was 20 minutes to closing). I takes approximately 30 minutes to process you and they do not want to go home late. Licensing is open from 9a.m. to 3 p.m. They're temporarily open until 6p.m. on Tuesdays so now is a good time to apply for those who work late. You should call to verify.

4- On the moon island shooting test, WAIT FOR, LISTEN TO and FOLLOW EVERY SINGLE THING the instructor says. One of the applicants was failed not because of his shooting score but because he was told to choose from double action from the 7 yards and single action from the 25 yards (or vice versa) and he shot everything double action. You do get a second chance to take the test free of charge at a later date. The test is available at 7:00a.m. and at 4p.m. on certain weekdays.

5- DO NOT PARK ON RESERVED SPOTS. Park on the side of the road where there's a sign that clearly says "for shooting test park here". They really don't like it when you park on reserved spots.

6- This may be of low importance, but dress for the weather and have a meal before the test. It's an outdoor range as stated in the first post. Weather can affect your performance on the test. Also, I encourage you to take your time shooting for best test results. If you're not sure about something, ask the instructors. They are very helpful.

Out of 5 people who were supposed to take the test one was sent home for lateness and one was failed for not following instructions. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. They want you to get discouraged by making you jump through hoops whenever they get a chance and, oh yeah, not giving out unrestricted class A LTC unless you're a lawyer, business owner, police officer or a doctor (when asked why they said just because those are the commissioner's rules). The TEST IS REALLY EASY if you listen and follow all the instructions. I didn't take a test preparation class. If you've shot a gun before you will not have any problems. The target they use is huge.

Current requirements for city of boston LTC application (3-10-2010):

1- License or state ID
2- Birth certificate (and naturalization certificate if naturalized)
3- Firearm safety course certificate
4- Two utility bills (only water, gas and electricity seem to be accepted)
5- $100.00 dollars CASH
6- Pass marksmanship test. Minimum score is 210. The guy with the lowest score got 218 and passed.

I suggest you bring all currently (and previously) required documents including recommendation letters and, if possible, letter from gun club just in case they ask you for it. After reading various people's experience, it seems they're not consistent on what they ask for during application. Hope this helps someone and good luck.

Last edited:
Home Invasion

I'm getting ready to apply for my LTC-A/ALP in Boston. I know exactly what to do, read everything here, etc.

My question is this: About a year and a half ago, I had someone break through the front door of my home in Dorchester at 3:10 a.m. in the morning while I was sleeping. Alarm went off, I fought them out, they ran down the street. Police were called, report filed, and they got the guy an hour later a couple of streets over.

Now... what, if anything, can I use/say from this incident to support my case and/or help me get the LTC-A/ALP? Should I just say/do nothing? Should I submit a copy of the BPD report along with my application? Mention it in the letter? Say I want my permit because of safety and cite this as an example?

Just wondering.... any help would be appreciated. I am new here (first post), but have read unregistered for months before registering and posting.

Should I submit a copy of the BPD report along with my application? Mention it in the letter? Say I want my permit because of safety and cite this as an example?

Yes. It is proof that you are not paranoid, racist or swept up in an irrational "gun fever." You have ALREADY been a crime victim and there is no reason to think such a home invasion will not occur again.

NOTE, however, that an LTC/B will meet all your HD needs, so be prepared to explain why you should be issued a real license.

Back
Top Bottom