Desert Tech MDR

Bullpup 308 with ability for caliber conversion. Just take my money now !!!!

Availability is sometime in 2015. I'll still enjoy the companion of the tavor until MDR available.

i wouldnt say a clone of the Tavor, however i think all bullpups are based in part off the AUG arent they? It is a good looking rifle, if the MSRP was around 2000, id be interested in it. Not really willing to pay much more than that for a rifle.

i wouldnt say a clone of the Tavor, however i think all bullpups are based in part off the AUG arent they? It is a good looking rifle, if the MSRP was around 2000, id be interested in it. Not really willing to pay much more than that for a rifle.

MSRP for 556 is $2150 and 308 is $2450.

Is anyone else hoping they meet the expected release dates for this year starting with the .308 in March?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting for the 5.56 version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just me but I think the MDR is a little underwhelming given all the hype about it. I'd probably still get one later on though. Still waiting to see videos of the accuracy with regular bulk ammo. Pretty much all the accuracy videos out so far are from DT or from a guy who works for them doing social media.

You might not think that way if you were a lefty like me. I'm just hoping it's a reliable bull pup that can chew up junk ammo and ring steel out to 200 yards. I'm just looking for a fun toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unable to find the price, which is possibly ridiculous. while i'm no rifle engineer, the forward ejection mechanism never seemed like a great solution to the bullpup problem. keltec has been moving to a downward ejection system which seems to be a step forward for them (although i've heard rumors the RDB is getting nix'ed).

my experience w the tavor SAR and X95 has been flat out impeccable. they are tremendous rifles worth their cost 8 days a week. i'm skeptical that desert tech will be able to match their performance for a similar price.

This is a big deal.

Will give Tavor X95 a run for it's money.

No ****in way.

MDR in .308 is $2600+. To get it in 5.56 you need to add a conversion kit, not yet available which is $$$ and adds more weight of the already 8.7 pounds without optic or loaded magazine.

You want a 5.56 bullpup, there's lots of alternatives of good report.
You want a .308 bullpup, there's the keltec now and the Tavor .308 on the way...

MDR is a big let down.

No ****in way.

MDR in .308 is $2600+. To get it in 5.56 you need to add a conversion kit, not yet available which is $$$ and adds more weight of the already 8.7 pounds without optic or loaded magazine.

You want a 5.56 bullpup, there's lots of alternatives of good report.
You want a .308 bullpup, there's the keltec now and the Tavor .308 on the way...

MDR is a big let down.

Would probably be good competition for the Tavor x95 if the 5.56 MDR's price dropped a bit from $2274.00 considering it has a slightly better trigger and if the accuracy claims are true. I think it's supposed to weigh 8.7 lbs in 5.56 but nobody will know until it's released at least 6 months later because DT is horrible with timelines.

Nobody will know how the accuracy is anytime soon because it seems like all the owners are just disappearing off the face of the Earth after receiving theirs. First it was the guy who got the very 1st one of production and another guy on a bullpup forum.

IF accuracy reports are legit, this could give the Tavor a run for the money. Tavors not known for accuracy, correct?

IF accuracy reports are legit, this could give the Tavor a run for the money. Tavors not known for accuracy, correct?

No.
the tavor SAR is as accurate as a high end AR. It shoots bulk 55 gr ammo very well and with 77gr BTHP sub MOA including hot barrel. The SAR is extremely accurate rifle. I have shot 2 X95's out to 300 yards and for me both shot very well. I have not done side by side comparison with the SAR. There are reports of the X95 having suboptimal accuracy. Some claim its related to the front dustcover contacting the barrel. Personally im not sure this is real or not.

most of this "tavors are innacurate" talk is driven by AR fanboys who are butthurt anytime a rifle other than an AR performs well. Not saying this is the case on NES but ample posting on other forums it's displayed. To me the tavor SAR is one of the finest 5.56 rifles to reach the civilian market ever.

No.
the tavor SAR is as accurate as a high end AR. It shoots bulk 55 gr ammo very well and with 77gr BTHP sub MOA including hot barrel. The SAR is extremely accurate rifle. I have shot 2 X95's out to 300 yards and for me both shot very well. I have not done side by side comparison with the SAR. There are reports of the X95 having suboptimal accuracy. Some claim its related to the front dustcover contacting the barrel. Personally im not sure this is real or not.

most of this "tavors are innacurate" talk is driven by AR fanboys who are butthurt anytime a rifle other than an AR performs well. Not saying this is the case on NES but ample posting on other forums it's displayed. To me the tavor SAR is one of the finest 5.56 rifles to reach the civilian market ever.

Thank you. I've read enough of your posts to know you are speaking from experience and not talking out of your tailpipe. [wink]

I probably picked up that 'opinion' on (b)arf-com, which I can barely stand and rarely check. Kinda make me want to get a Tavor and go to work on squeezing the best possible accuracy, then post a side-by-side on that stupid site. Or maybe I just like Tavors and may as well have some fun on arf-com.

Anyway, always nice to see more quality options in a category. No interest in a .308, however.

This looks absolutely unpleasant to shoot. And the foregrip is way too close to the muzzle.

[video=youtube_share;7lH1oaoiA-I]http://youtu.be/7lH1oaoiA-I?t=1m30s[/video]

Looks OK to me. Yeah, grip is close to muzzle but if someone wants something that compact...

Good enough for its intended purpose, but that was not a great group at 50 yards. What is that, 6 MOA? Probably the reviewer's skill set is a factor. He used the red dot as an excuse. Nah bro- it's you.

Looks OK to me. Yeah, grip is close to muzzle but if someone wants something that compact...

Good enough for its intended purpose, but that was not a great group at 50 yards. What is that, 6 MOA? Probably the reviewer's skill set is a factor. He used the red dot as an excuse. Nah bro- it's you.

In the video at the 1:30 mark, the recoil pushed the guy shooting offhand back 6 inches after 3 shots. His shoulder is probably all bruised. I don't blame him for shooting minute of car after that.

In the video at the 1:30 mark, the recoil pushed the guy shooting offhand back 6 inches after 3 shots. His shoulder is probably all bruised. I don't blame him for shooting minute of car after that.

He just needs to follow my recoil absorbing diet plan. [smile]

coldboremirakle had another video with better groups. But to be fair, he was using match ammo from DT and he also works for DT.

Just got a SAR set up for lefties and it's the bees knees. Haven't really shot it for groups, but based on a quick site in with XM193 I'd say with cheap ammo it's a 1.5-2 MOA rifle. After about 200 rounds it has been absolutely reliable and it is fast becoming my favorite rifle to shoot offhand. Shooting the rifle benched using a rolled up shooting mat at 300 yards I was able to hit a 1'x2' steel plate virtually 100% of the time. That's with a 3x scope and cheap ammo. For me, that's all the real world accuracy I need.

However, the stock trigger, at least on the SAR, is pretty awful and upgrades are expensive, but, IMHO worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom