Dash Cam: Canton, OH PD "Notification" Arrest & Officer Goes Berserk

Let me ask this question, the guy in the video is obviously trying to pick up a prostitute. If that behavior was going on in your neighborhood would you really care if your local cops acted like the cop in the video when confronting a John?

Maybe he was trying to stop that activity from going on in his town and wanted to put the fear of God into him and used the whole not identifying you have a gun crap, to make the John think twice about ever stepping foot in that area again?

And since when is it permissible to threaten the solicitor with grievous bodily harm?? Make the arrest and move on!! There is no need to violate Ohio law by threatening violence against a man who is already in handcuffs.

There is a book and I can’t recall the name of it off the top of my head, I’ll try to Google it. It was the true story about how a group of returning WWII combat veteran became police officers in Los Angles. They used, let say questionable tactic to keep criminals out of the city. The moral of the book was how it kept the city safe during that time. I guess you would call these Vets everything that it wrong with this country. I would call them heroes.

How interesting to note that you cite one of the most corrupt police depts. in the country at the time. For your information, the LAPD was totally corrupt. It didn't start to get a facelift and cleanup until the early 60s.

And if you're stupid enough to think that cops don't make mistakes (Ask the LEOs here, they will admit they are wrong sometimes like anyone else) you are high. I truly hope you are on the receiving end of the treatment you suggest after having a cop mistake you for a bad guy.

Notify laws are absolutely ignorant. How about this...Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for a cop to start the conversation with "Sir, Ma'am, do you have any weapons on you?" before saying anything else? The one thing that shocked me about that video (other than the absolute arrogance and lack of professionalism from the officers in it) was that none of the officers even went up to the driver of the car until almost 5 minutes into the stop.

Maybe trying to get a free play date himself? [wink]

The notification laws are generally about concealed carry. You are not carrying a concealed firearm when transporting under FOPA, so I'm not aware of any notification requirement.
There are some states that require notification, and failure to notify is a crime in those states.

Sounds like it's a gun grabber/bait law...something to take a CCW in on. Is there a "list", so to speak, of which states are notify states?

I take my gun and Handicam whenever I go out - you never know.

Be careful with the handicam, this is not written to help you, only Law Enforcement

How interesting to note that you cite one of the most corrupt police depts. in the country at the time. For your information, the LAPD was totally corrupt. It didn't start to get a facelift and cleanup until the early 60s.

And if you're stupid enough to think that cops don't make mistakes (Ask the LEOs here, they will admit they are wrong sometimes like anyone else) you are high. I truly hope you are on the receiving end of the treatment you suggest after having a cop mistake you for a bad guy.

To which we must commend them. Those who fancy themselves "infallible", we will condemn.

Has anyone found out who this officer is? I personally don't care, but I was surprised his name wasn't in anything I've read so far.

Sgt Crowley acted professionally and Gate went ape shit. In the video that I posted the LEO went ape shit for a citizen exercising his constitutionally protect right. Horrible comparison btw.

Thanks to those who answered the question. I asked it because I wanted to see if people here blame the police 100% of the time.

That being said your reading comprehension sucks? When did I ever say the guy in the video should have been arrested for failure to inform??????

I posed the question that maybe the police officer in the video busted his balls because he caught him in the act of picking up a hooker and doesn't want that going on in his town so he put the fear of God into him using the crappy failure to inform law.

Never said the arrest was justified please show me where I SAID THAT!!!

I then said I wish that some of the criminals I read about in the paper would sometimes catch a beating from the police. Ok well sorry if that upsets some of you.

Then some of you starting talking about police state, the war of drug, no knock warrants, dog getting shot by SWAT teamsetc,etc. Try and take a deep breath and relax, there are no black helicopters over your homes, it's all in your head.

Thanks to those who answered the question. I asked it because I wanted to see if people here blame the police 100% of the time.

That being said your reading comprehension sucks? When did I ever say the guy in the video should have been arrested for failure to inform??????

I posed the question that maybe the police officer in the video busted his balls because he caught him in the act of picking up a hooker and doesn't want that going on in his town so he put the fear of God into him using the crappy failure to inform law.

I then said I wish that some of the criminals I read about in the paper would sometimes catch a beating from the police. Ok well sorry if that upsets some of you.

Then some of you starting talking about police state, the war of drug, no knock warrants, dog getting shot by SWAT teamsetc,etc. Try and take a deep breath and relax, there are no black helicopters over your homes, it's all in your head.

You don't understand what a free society is, do you?

If posters are upset here, they are rightfully so. We become quite agitated when these crimes - and they are serious crimes, ones that we would be imprisoned or worse for - go unpunished, and this is because they facilitate further crimes of those who had supposedly been put in place to "serve and protect" us.

If you don't give a shit about that, fine. But I suggest you won't find too many in agreement here.

The sheer arrogance exhibited by the officer is truly disturbing. His obvious anger management issue aside, he clearly believes that his merely being in the presence of an armed individual puts him at considerable risk. There are plenty of states that do not require a citizen to "promptly" inform LE if they're carrying, and I would hazard a guess that LE in those states do not perceive themselves to be at any greater risk during a stop.

All of that being said, I think the citizen did have ample opportunity to inform the officer. Instead of being a pussy and trying to explain how he's "never had to do this before" he should have just come out with it. That in no way excuses the officer's subsequent criminal behavior (which may have been unavoidable), but it seems like he was at least aware of the requirement.

Bottom line, the guy was inexperienced, likely scared, possibly picking up a hooker........and he got the wrong cop.

It's not that you said the arrest was justified, it's that you have no problem with the police using their own discretion to go above and beyond the call of duty. You even used a piss-poor example a la the LAPD circa 1940s to say that sometimes using questionable tactics to uphold the law can be a good thing. As public servants, they don't get to do that, and they shouldn't. I don't want to risk the bad just because some scumbag might get what's coming to him early.

It's funny that the part you bolded here was the most naive sentence in your entire naive statement. Yeah, I know there are no black helicopters literally following me. However, if you can watch the video in the OP and think that our diminishing freedoms and encroaching police state are all in our heads, then I don't think they make clues for people like you.

He didn't bust his balls, he threatened him with death. If he'd merely read the guy the riot act for picking up a hooker no one here would be all that upset.

Cops making death threats to people who piss them off. Yep, that's a really good plan. Guess what? I don't like Ma**h***s in my town so when I pull you over for having a Mass. plate I'll slam you up against the car and threaten to execute you. -See how that works?

People SUSPECTED of a crime and not convicted of jack shit should be summarily beaten up without judge or jury. Again, you think this is a good thing? If so, frankly you're an idiot as well as someone who IS the problem with this country. You'll sacrifice essential rights for the illusion of security and when someone YOU care about it on the receiving end of the very treatment you encourage, you'll cry about it like a little girl. -Seen this before. You sound like a liberal who hasn't been mugged yet.

No one is talking about black helicopters in this thread. We're talking about the ever-increasing violence and injustice perpetrated on innocent people with no consequence whatever for the offending cops. You have the utter gall to come one here and advocate for summary beating of people merely suspected of a crime or of pissing off the cops (Because if one is acceptable the other one becomes routine. That's a fact with all forms of torture/violence under color of law).

If a cop pisses me off and I assault him, I'll get tased or shot with no consequence to the cop. If I piss off a cop and he beats my ass, he gets away with it. The whole foundation of our country depends on equality under the law. You propose that cops should be the judge, jury and executioners and immune from all oversight or consequence with sole unbridled authority to give a beatdown to anyone they think is out of line.

Frankly, you opinions are disgusting and fundamentally un-American.

That's why they are sometimes called PIGS!

Glad that the video is out all over the internet, because I cop like that deserves to lose his F'ing job!

His obvious anger management issue aside, he clearly believes that his merely being in the presence of an armed individual puts him at considerable risk.

I love the part where the cop say's "****ing talking to me with a god damn gun!" I've talked to cops on many occasions while carrying a "god damn gun" and it didn't magically jump out and harm anyone. If you watch the video over you'll see that cop is nothing more than a pussy that thinks he's a tough guy. Did you notice he waited until he had the drivers gun, and his partner had the driver held back, before he started yelling at him? What a piece of crap. I have friends that are cops, and my grandfather was a career policeman (Lieutenant and acting chief) so it really bothers me that these asshats make other cops look like the way they do.

"Talking to me with that gun on your hip!"

Seriously? Youre talking to me with a gun on your hip, how do I know your not some a**h*** cop who wont hesitate to execute me for no reason?

No. I was being a wiseass. One of the nicest, cutest girls I knew in college was from Ohio. That's all the reference I need to like the state.

CRAP! There I go again, being a wiseass!

For the record: Ohio, like most states, is largely a nice place with some good and some bad. I have nothing in particular for or against Ohio.

You have obviously never been to New Mexico!

Now... New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Arizona...

Who in their right mind would stop the wagon train in such a desolate, barren wasteland, breathe in the searing, arid air and declare: "Now THIS is the place I want to raise my family!"

You have obviously never been to New Mexico!

Let me ask this question, the guy in the video is obviously trying to pick up a prostitute. If that behavior was going on in your neighborhood would you really care if your local cops acted like the cop in the video when confronting a John?

Maybe he was trying to stop that activity from going on in his town and wanted to put the fear of God into him and used the whole not identifying you have a gun crap, to make the John think twice about ever stepping foot in that area again?

I somewhat agree.....but you have to admit...he went WAY over the line!

This asshat not only shouldn't carry a badge or a gun he also needs a mental health evaluation.I hope the victim sues the dept and the scumbag cop personally.Thats got to be criminal threatening at the least.

The cop has issues, he treated that guy awful. I dont believe the ccer did not know the girl was a prostituite and feel he was lying about why he was there, That said the cop was wrong and handled the situation like a complete ass. Both were wrong but the cop was completley out of control and his dept should pull him off the street and possibly even can his ass. If anybody in my Dept acted like that my chief would do his best to can them. Every profession has thier share of boobs.

Last edited:
There is a book and I can’t recall the name of it off the top of my head, I’ll try to Google it. It was the true story about how a group of returning WWII combat veteran became police officers in Los Angles. They used, let say questionable tactic to keep criminals out of the city. The moral of the book was how it kept the city safe during that time. I guess you would call these Vets everything that it wrong with this country. I would call them heroes.

So...what you are saying is based on a book?[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

I'm saving judgement until I read about the outcome. If that officer retains his job it's a pretty damning indictment of the system in Ohio.
Bullshit. Police departments are the same everywhere.

I bet I can spend an hour finding dirty cops still on the job in every single one of the 50 states.

There is no "system" in Ohio. Every PD is an entity into itself with its own internal regulations and its own union contract.

You Sir...sound like an idiot. I am not saying you are an idiot...just saying you sound like one!

You Sir....are an idiot!

At one point the cop says 'this is what gets cops killed' ...meanig not telling them for 5 minutes that he is carrying.

This shows how stupid that cop really is - because someone planning on killing a cop at a traffic stop surely would not mention carrying a gun!
This is the same stupidity that makes people believe they are safe in a gun free zone.

What gets cops killed is ignoring a guy in his car for 5 minutes while illegally searching said car.

Back
Top Bottom