Dash Cam: Canton, OH PD "Notification" Arrest & Officer Goes Berserk

Given the topic, I'm not sure Godwin's law applies here since we are talking about abuse of government instituted authority, aren't comparisons to the SS, Nazi Germany or Hitler actually valid in this case?

Given the topic, I'm not sure Godwin's law applies here since we are talking about abuse of government instituted authority, aren't comparisons to the SS, Nazi Germany or Hitler actually valid in this case?

I don't know but that was pure coincidence that we posted in sequence.

I don't know but that was pure coincidence that we posted in sequence.
Not entirely. Once he posted the WWII vet JBT thing, the response was inevitable.

I was about to respond along the lines that I bet Nazi Germany was a pretty safe, law-abiding place as well, but that doesn't make it a model we want to emulate. Then I recoiled in horror from the keyboard, realizing I would be fulfilling Godwin's Law.

Last edited:
Back on topic, there are many times where I read about deviant behavior and wish the cops would work the perpetrator over. For example the poor 8 year old boy two weeks in NY who was drugged, suffocated and then chopped up. I wouldn't lose sleep or shed a tear for murderer if one of the arresting officers happened to punched him, even though he wasn't convicted yet.

Fine and dandy I suppose assuming that they have the right person. What if they picked YOU up for deviant behavior based on seemingly good evidence at the time and worked you over and you were innocent?

I am continually amazed that people spout the constitution all the time on this forum and yet condone "street justice"...oh wait a minute, that's okay because I am a good guy and the police are my friends ...the poor guy that they arrested was a good guy too, he qualified under Ohio laws for a CCW and Federal Law to purchase a handgun. That's okay because he may have been engaged in deviant behavior picking up a hooker, but that has yet to be established.

Precisely what acts were going on in the open? The police came upon a parked vehicle (apparently in a no parking zone) two people were in the vehicle and one was standing outside the vehicle...that's all nothing more. There was nothing "deviant" or lascivious going on. This was no undercover sting where a decoy is setting someone up for solicitation. At most all the police could really do at this time would be to cite the driver for parking in a no-parking zone and send the three of them on their way. The fact that the woman was known to be a prostitute is irrelevant, I did not see an act of prostitution going on, nor solicitation for prostitution and if you viewed the video you didn't either.

I wonder what the laws are for notification at a traffic stop, state to state? I was just watching "storm troopers of Alaska", aka "alaska state troopers" tv show, and they flipped out when a guy told him he had a gun "a full two minutes after I was standing here". He gave the guy a summons to appear in court because of it. He said "it is your duty to tell me immediately if you have a gun".

He acted like it was an alaska law.

Just wondering if you have the guns locked and are transporting under FOPA, if you do not immediately tell a police office who stops you, then are you going to get hassled too in some states?

I was always under the impression that I should not offer such info unless directly asked about it.

Last edited:
I wonder what the laws are for notification at a traffic stop, state to state? I was just watching "storm troopers of Alaska", aka "alaska state troopers" tv show, and they flipped out when a guy told him he had a gun "a full two minutes after I was standing here". He gave the guy a summons to appear in court because of it. He said "it is your duty to tell me immediately if you have a gun". He acted like it was an alaska law.

WTF Alaska ? Based on my experience of living there for two years, everybody has a gun there (well almost). That is supposed to be one of those "free states."

I was always under the impression that I should not offer such info unless directly asked about it.

you shouldn't, unless you're in a state which has a notify law, then you have to try and get a word in edge-wise while your vehicle is illegally searched and you're threatened with being murdered.

There is a book and I can’t recall the name of it off the top of my head, I’ll try to Google it. It was the true story about how a group of returning WWII combat veteran became police officers in Los Angles. They used, let say questionable tactic to keep criminals out of the city. The moral of the book was how it kept the city safe during that time. I guess you would call these Vets everything that it wrong with this country. I would call them heroes.

I bet they learned these tactics overseas from the people they were fighting.

Where are all the LEO apologists?[thinking]

And right on cue....

Let me ask this question, the guy in the video is obviously trying to pick up a prostitute. If that behavior was going on in your neighborhood would you really care if your local cops acted like the cop in the video when confronting a John?

Maybe he was trying to stop that activity from going on in his town and wanted to put the fear of God into him and used the whole not identifying you have a gun crap, to make the John think twice about ever stepping foot in that area again?

I'm not the expert on hookers, but on TV the pimps never go along on the, er, play date. If the guy had been a cabbie (which he claimed several times) it *is* plausible he casually knew the couple and wasn't necessarily trying to rent her.

On the other hand, if he WAS, it isn't really any of our business. If that's what she chooses to do for a living let her.

As for Officer Clowncakes, he couldn't care less about the prostitution theory once he had something more interesting to amuse himeslf with. He should be fired and sued, but I doubt he will be.

Last edited:
Just wondering if you have the guns locked and are transporting under FOPA, if you do not immediately tell a police office who stops you, then are you going to get hassled too in some states?
The notification laws are generally about concealed carry. You are not carrying a concealed firearm when transporting under FOPA, so I'm not aware of any notification requirement.

There are some states that require notification, and failure to notify is a crime in those states.

Notify laws are absolutely ignorant. How about this...Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for a cop to start the conversation with "Sir, Ma'am, do you have any weapons on you?" before saying anything else? The one thing that shocked me about that video (other than the absolute arrogance and lack of professionalism from the officers in it) was that none of the officers even went up to the driver of the car until almost 5 minutes into the stop.

I bet they learned these tactics overseas from the people they were fighting.

"I see What You Did There!"
"I See What You Did There!"

goebbels1.jpg

There is a book and I can’t recall the name of it off the top of my head, I’ll try to Google it. It was the true story about how a group of returning WWII combat veteran became police officers in Los Angles. They used, let say questionable tactic to keep criminals out of the city. The moral of the book was how it kept the city safe during that time. I guess you would call these Vets everything that it wrong with this country. I would call them heroes.

Oh...my...effing...god...

Hey, man, if you'd prefer to live in a police state just to feel more safe then all the power too you. I'm sure there are some fancy European neighborhoods that would love to have ya!

Derek or another NES'er. Just so I know where you are coming from, would you please answer a question for me? Remember that case a few years ago. Harvard Professor Gates was arrested for disorderly conduct at his own house by the Cambridge police? Do you blame the cops or Professor Gates for escalating the situation?

Derek or another NES'er. Just so I know where you are coming from, would you please answer a question for me? Remember that case a few years ago. Harvard Professor Gates was arrested for disorderly conduct at his own house by the Cambridge police? Do you blame the cops or Professor Gates for escalating the situation?

You're picking a piss poor example, I could do the same if you like?

To answer your piss poor example question though, Professor Gates was at fault for failing to identify himself and show proof it was his home.

Your example is piss poor because it's the complete opposite of what happened with this incident in Ohio, here the gentleman tried to follow the law, he tried to tell the officer he was armed, he did what he was suppose to do, the officer was a bull headed arrogant son of a b***h who refused to let the man speak.

Try again.

What that cop did is a class C felony in this state called felony harassment. He made a credible death threat. That will get you five years in the slammer here. I would assume Ohio has similar laws. Sad that the cop will almost certainly not be charged. At worst he'll be fired, but I would bet he will simply get a suspension.

What that cop did is a class C felony in this state called felony harassment. He made a credible death threat. That will get you five years in the slammer here. I would assume Ohio has similar laws. Sad that the cop will almost certainly not be charged. At worst he'll be fired, but I would bet he will simply get a suspension.

Of course, some animals are more equal than others...

Sgt Crowley acted professionally and Gates went ape shit. In the video that I posted the LEO went ape shit for a citizen exercising his constitutionally protect right. Horrible comparison btw.

Last edited:

IIRC, in the Gates situation, A neighbor had summoned the police to the scene with the claim that two men (Gates and his driver) were attempting to break into a home. Officer Crowley was the responding officer, and started questioning Gates about the incident. Officer Crowley was quoted as saying something like [At first I though Gates was legally there, but his subsequent behavior led me to believe otherwise]. Officer Crowley explained why he was there, and that a neighbor was concerned about someone trying to force their way inside. Gates refused to show ID at first, but then did finally show it. Crowley left the house but Gates followed him outside. Depending on whose side of the story you believe, the story diverges here: One account is that when Gates followed Crowley outside Crowley arrested him on the spot. The other account states that Gates followed Crowley screaming at him (in the tapes that were recording the police radios, Gates can be heard shouting at Crowley during many of the transmissions between Crowley and other officers), and it was at this point where he continued screaming at Crowley and the other officers on the scene, finally saying "You haven't heard the last from me. I'm going to make sure you pay for this." that he was arrested for disorderly conduct. All charges were subsequently dropped.

To answer your question, I think Gates escalated the situation.

Or maybe a great big fat disability pension for PTSD [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom