• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote Hunting

I have been thinking of getting out in the back fields for the first time.

How much do you guys depend on moonlight?
Am I going to have to wait until next almost full moon?

Took a walk out tonight and could only see about 25 yards out.

Had a close encounter x 2 the other morning while walking dogs on the Westboro WMA.

Walking along edge of a field when dogs got a big whiff of something and they went out into field looking.
Down below I see a big coyote loping to the tree line where he stops in the sun looking back at us. Dogs never saw him.
Would have been a good rifle shot.

At the other end of the field right in front of the HQ bldg., I see something coming down a path, nose to the ground and it's another yote.
He's coming right toward us and finally sees us when he is about 40 yds. out.
I was able to get a pic with my phone before he bolted. (Off the tip of Bo's tail in the snow...Enlarge Photo)

FullSizeRender.jpg

Dogs gave chase but I called them right back. Wiley had a big head start...

Last edited:
Yeah, I call some marshes out east occasionally when I have time to make the trip. Its nice to switch it up, I call out all the wma's around me by mid season and they need a break.

.223 shooting nosler 60gr ballistic tip varmints over 25.8 grains of varget. Tiny hole in and huge explosion inside, no exit. They usually look like they havent been shot. Never had pelt damage except on one I lit up at 5 yards where I had an exit behind the front leg.

I skin and flesh all the pelts myself and save them till the end of the season when i'll send them out to the tannery. They're not worth selling right now for the time you have to put into processing them.

Yeah, I call some marshes out east occasionally when I have time to make the trip. Its nice to switch it up, I call out all the wma's around me by mid season and they need a break.

.223 shooting nosler 60gr ballistic tip varmints over 25.8 grains of varget. Tiny hole in and huge explosion inside, no exit. They usually look like they havent been shot. Never had pelt damage except on one I lit up at 5 yards where I had an exit behind the front leg.

I skin and flesh all the pelts myself and save them till the end of the season when i'll send them out to the tannery. They're not worth selling right now for the time you have to put into processing them.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to larueminati again.

Brave little bastard, walking right across the back yard...... Be finally got the pigs head off the chain I'll go out some table scraps out for him tonight. Gotta get my floors in before I can actually hunt him though.
0f0039c133a752d0fa297558262d30d1.jpg
466363a680a0055685b8087d1c78fdf3.jpg
4cb4198361bd7fe5306a854c7713fc72.jpg

^ Have fun with that.

Too cold and miserable to sit over a bait pile. Their too skiddish for it to become something thats actually fun to do. Unless of course you have tons of property and a shoot house, then it's just a matter of convenience.

Calling near bait, thats a tactic I could get on board with.

^ Have fun with that.

Too cold and miserable to sit over a bait pile. Their too skiddish for it to become something thats actually fun to do. Unless of course you have tons of property and a shoot house, then it's just a matter of convenience.

Calling near bait, thats a tactic I could get on board with.

That track is out my kitchen window, I suppose I could crack the slider and be closer to the wood stove. I just bait them to get them comfortable and in a pattern. Figure once the house is done I'll spend an all nighter on the couch lol.

You'll get tired of that real fast, probably one night or even a few hours.

I've seen some guides up in maine use proximity motion sensors rigged to a bell or something that vibrates. If you look on amazon they sell wireless ones with the buzzer. That seems like the only practical way i've seen to monitor a bait pile over a full night without loosing your mind.

Good luck.

You'll get tired of that real fast, probably one night or even a few hours.

I've seen some guides up in maine use proximity motion sensors rigged to a bell or something that vibrates. If you look on amazon they sell wireless ones with the buzzer. That seems like the only practical way i've seen to monitor a bait pile over a full night without loosing your mind.

Good luck.

Yup driveway beeper rigged across 2 trees. I figure just feeding them for a while will get them complacent. I don't have the time to actually get into calling them I'm just not set up for that yet. I just bought the house it will be a while before I'm set up in the woods behind it. I really just want them gone I'd like to have a healthy Turkey and deer population instead.

Last edited:
Got another one Friday eve! Looks just like the other one, Sister maybe? Came to rabbit distress mouth call. Got this one with a Ruger 10/22 target rifle, .22 lr. Remington yellow box, hollow point. Distance was 75 yards, facing me, standing still. Before anyone starts bashing me for using .22 on a yote, she was standing still, bullet entered chest and went all the way to tail where it came to rest. The bullet never expanded, must have tumbled, lot of damage(I was surprised). She ran about 75 yards and was dead when I got to her. More fawns saved! Haha

Nice! Seasons winding down which sucks!

Good to hear a field report on .22LR, haven't stooped to the level the state wants me to and tried it...yet. Unless you spine them or take out a leg they're running until their out of gas, tough animals. I've seen a few get knocked off their feet with a .223 and get up and run like nothing happened.

Driving home tonight, I ran into a neighbor down the street, looking into the woods. She said there was a white coyote behind the house. I took a peek and sure enough, if it was there. It was dirty as hell but look to me to be white not blonde. Heres a horrible picture about 100 yards away. You can kind of make out the white on the sun side. Wish I had a better picture.
8d853f2e43e7bb0866d2cde377a55673.jpg

Exactly what I use for the AR....similar powder and charge. Those nosler BT are great.

Game over. No connections. Next time, thermal. I said that last year though... Spent way too much time working.

same here. Nothing.. My own fault, not enough time spend in woods.

Is it turkey season yet??? What's about strippers? Are they running..... Damn it.

Next time, thermal.

Prices looks like they are heading down as competition ramps up. I'd have to say it's a huge gamechanger, especially in Mass where you can't use IR lights, etc. Doesn't matter if it's pitch dark or full sun it works equally as good in both scenarios. Daytime use is a HUGE bonus over NV.

Called in another red-fox on saturday, twice, had to watch him stand 10' from the caller staring at it both times. Hopefully he breeds, not enough fox around. Looking forward to turkey season.

http://www.caughtinsouthie.com/news-politics/southie-coyote/

Is it normal for them to be out in daylight?

If they're in Southie - a peninsula surrounded by salt water on three sides - they're everywhere. Apparently the "Emerald Necklace" is a conduit for wildlife. Seen on B street so he may have come up the railroad tracks.

Cd7ecdhWwAA6tdM.jpg

Last edited:
When desperate for food they do stuff like that. Any stray cat problem in that area is about to be solved.

Back
Top Bottom