• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Squirrel hunting probably my favorite

Hoping to round out the end of this year with a few more in the bag for some batches of Brunswick stew.
We hunt squirrel alot. If the lakes don't freeze up enough for ice fishing new years weekend we hit the woods for squirrel. Funny thing is my brother and son said they'd rather be ice fishing cuz I have a freezer full of venison sausage and I always cook sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions while we're ice fishing......I said ok......nothing stopping me from packing a grill and tailgating in the wma parking lot! So that's the plan.

We hunt squirrel alot. If the lakes don't freeze up enough for ice fishing new years weekend we hit the woods for squirrel. Funny thing is my brother and son said they'd rather be ice fishing cuz I have a freezer full of venison sausage and I always cook sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions while we're ice fishing......I said ok......nothing stopping me from packing a grill and tailgating in the wma parking lot! So that's the plan.
Excellent!

NH Senate Bill 548 (2024) will remove gray squirrels from the list of game animals. That would mean no season, no limit... same as every other rodent in the state except for beavers (furbearer rules).

They may as well - does anyone really take any small game hunting serious? Small game is just target shooting and a way to show you're an a-hole for most people.
I find it funny how everyone is concerned with ethics when it comes to deer - but will think nothing of just taking pot shots at squirrels or even grouse with a .308. I'll take a squirrel hunt any day over a deer hunt - especially since gray squirrel are rarer than hen's teeth in North NH. All I can get are piney tasting reds.

They may as well - does anyone really take any small game hunting serious? Small game is just target shooting and a way to show you're an a-hole for most people.
I find it funny how everyone is concerned with ethics when it comes to deer - but will think nothing of just taking pot shots at squirrels or even grouse with a .308. I'll take a squirrel hunt any day over a deer hunt - especially since gray squirrel are rarer than hen's teeth in North NH. All I can get are piney tasting reds.
Squirrel hunting is going the way of deer hunting. I see more in urban areas and close to my house than I see in the deep woods.

When I hunting urban CT I could fill a wheelbarrow with them, in a few hours if I wanted to shoot them with a bow, back home in deep woods MA, I'd be lucky to see two on an 8 hour hunt.

I take it seriously. It should be taken more seriously than it is and I encourage new hunters to cut their teeth on small game or vermin hunting before going out for deer. It is so enjoyable.

Squirrel hunting is going the way of deer hunting. I see more in urban areas and close to my house than I see in the deep woods.

When I hunting urban CT I could fill a wheelbarrow with them, in a few hours if I wanted to shoot them with a bow, back home in deep woods MA, I'd be lucky to see two on an 8 hour hunt.
After my last time out a couple weeks ago I told my son I'm just going to start carrying my .22 rifle in the truck all the time (I'm not really going to do that), because when I pull up and park there they are. Get into the woods and it's another story, unless it's deer archery season; then they're all over the place!

Hoping to round out the end of this year with a few more in the bag for some batches of Brunswick stew.
They are vermin, and should be exterminated. But I just can't bring myself to eat them.
Don't get me wrong, I have had them in a stew, and it was "fine", but the only reason I am eating tree rat is if I was starving and had no choice.

I know that a good recipe makes all the difference, and it's still probably healthier than a Big Mac, but I just can't.

If you enjoy it, all the power to you. You are doing the world a service and filling your belly. Solid win.

They are vermin, and should be exterminated. But I just can't bring myself to eat them.
Don't get me wrong, I have had them in a stew, and it was "fine", but the only reason I am eating tree rat is if I was starving and had no choice.

I know that a good recipe makes all the difference, and it's still probably healthier than a Big Mac, but I just can't.

If you enjoy it, all the power to you. You are doing the world a service and filling your belly. Solid win.
After my last time out a couple weeks ago I told my son I'm just going to start carrying my .22 rifle in the truck all the time (I'm not really going to do that), because when I pull up and park there they are. Get into the woods and it's another story, unless it's deer archery season; then they're all over the place!
I honestly carry my rifle and a suppressor pretty much everywhere I go now, it’s a riot.

When my son was about 13 or 14 years old he told me he wanted to try some, but I had to let him know it was squirrel before he ate it. One night I made fried squirrel over biscuits and gravy. He sat down with it on his plate, literally gagged before even eating any, then devoured it.

Afterwards I told him anyone who says it doesn't taste like chicken is full of shit! He said it actually tasted better.

Same here. We used squirrel season to supplement our blue tick’s diet. I never did develop a taste for it

Back
Top Bottom