• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Caribou hunting

wjsmall97

NES Member
I might be Caribou hunting in Alaska this year or next. My stepdaughter lives in Palmer, Alaska.
She can possibly hook me up with a friend that hunts. I am thinking Caribou hunting would probably be
the best chance at an Alaskan animal.
Has anyone done this, and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bill
P/S this would be with a firearm, probably a 7mm-08 and/or .270wsm.

I got nothing. But I'm very interested in this thread. Keep us posted on your preperation and trip. Randy Newburg and Steve Rinella have a couple vids of their their hunts for caribou. Worth watching. I think Randy just came back from one.

Caribou are fast, surprisingly so. If they are ahead of you, they will stay there. Caliber choices are fine - go with a bonded or solid copper bullet, at least 165 grain. Good luck. Bring good gear, rain & snow come fast on the Tundra.

This is what you are looking for - 167 yard shot in my case. This was Quebec which you can’t hunt anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_8618.jpeg
    IMG_8618.jpeg
    791.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8619.jpeg
    IMG_8619.jpeg
    874.5 KB · Views: 14
I might be Caribou hunting in Alaska this year or next. My stepdaughter lives in Palmer, Alaska.
She can possibly hook me up with a friend that hunts. I am thinking Caribou hunting would probably be
the best chance at an Alaskan animal.
Has anyone done this, and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bill
P/S this would be with a firearm, probably a 7mm-08 and/or .270wsm.
I haven't been but it's on my bucket list. My Dad went regularly and took them with a 7mm Rem Mag. Either caliber of yours would work well, but I'd lean towards the 270 WSM for the greater velocity, flatter shooting, and less drift in the wind. I recall Dad saying how bad the wind was. He and his hunting buddies used a bush plane service then hunted on their own. I think you'll be in good hands with an experienced local.

Their pilot would not take them unless they each had a magnum backup handgun for bear protection- 44 mag for my dad. A Glock 20 would do. I'll assume you will be in grizzly bear country and some bears learn that rifle shot = dinner bell.

IMHO caribou / reindeer meat is the most delicious on the planet. We always had delicious roasts from my Dad's caribou, but I now know it's a shame we didn't have steaks. I was served reindeer steak at a black tie dinner in Finland a year ago and damn near cried when I finished the last bite- it was that good.

Caribou are fast, surprisingly so. If they are ahead of you, they will stay there. Caliber choices are fine - go with a bonded or solid copper bullet, at least 165 grain. Good luck. Bring good gear, rain & snow come fast on the Tundra.

This is what you are looking for - 167 yard shot in my case. This was Quebec which you can’t hunt anymore.
Amazing what the herds have declined to from the 80's-90's in Quebec.

Couldn't afford to use family raising money to fund a 4K hunt to chase Caribou back then but always wanted to go.

When I finally had the money, I had heard most places were just resorting to loading up their hunters who were sitting at camp seeing nothing, and flying them out to the herd, shooting their caribou, then loading up and going home.

I said that's not for me......

Back
Top Bottom