Hunting from a ground blind.

wjsmall97

NES Member
This year I will try hunting from a ground blind. I am looking for a folding chair and also does any one use a bipod or tripod
for a shooting rest ? I am wondering what is better, the tripod or bipod. I guess they both have advantages, but thinking the bipod would be
easier to move about for different shooting positions.

Tripod, hands down. Not even a discussion. It is worth every penny to use a good one with a sturdy panhead with the rifle clamp mounted to it. I use a Sirui VA10 panhead. I think my tripod is the Sirui st124. I have a light weight tripod setup for backpacking in, but it's for my binos. I tried the gun mount on it. Just not sturdy enough. I was moving all over the place with it. Also depends on your distances. I'm shooting out to 300 yards. 100 yards, I'm comfortable using my trekking poles.

As for the chair. I can't help you there. I sit on the ground.

I am 100% a ground pounder when it comes to hunting.

A monopod is my go to. It gives me a lot of flexibility to shift right and left without having to shift in my seat when deer hunting. I sit with my weapon in the monopod and adjust the hand strap (550 paracord) length to keep it from sliding up the barrel of the crossbow or shotgun. That way all I have to do is lift it to my shoulder. I use a Stoney Point monopod which doubles as a walking stick. Unfortunately, it is no longer in production.

I prefer to be mobile so my goto for concealment is a light ghillie suit. I use the predator kill suit.

There just was a good thread on chairs over on Crossbow Nation:
Tree seat or chair?

Ive only shot deer 30 yards and under with a compound from a hang-on. I’d love to be able to reach out to 300 yards from a ground blind with a sniper rifle or even a BP. It would be so much less up-close and personal 🤣

Ive only shot deer 30 yards and under with a compound from a hang-on. I’d love to be able to reach out to 300 yards from a ground blind with a sniper rifle or even a BP. It would be so much less up-close and personal 🤣
Yeah, but dropping out of a tree and slitting a deers throat…now THAT is up close and personal!

blinds are kinda situational. make your own to fit the scene. fabric and dressings can be easily found locally. the bi/tri-pod stabilization is also unique to the circumstance. the simplist is most veritile and again, fit to the scene.

-> buy some burlap to tie to gardens stakes. stake it in and attach to it close-by leaved branches.

-> an adjustable walking stick -like support can leverage trees, boulders, and stonewalls (and garden stakes) for the rest of bi/tri-pod.

solving personal comfort is the best problem to relieve. long durations of uncomfortable stationary positions can suck. at least bring a yoga mat.

Personal favorite is taking small pine branches and building a rat nest at the base of a larger trunk that breaks my silhouette. It’s free, it keeps me dry, it’s a thermal break, and it masks my scent if wind turns.

Longest shot I've ever had on a deer with a shotgun or muzzle loader was about 50 yards and that was with my muzzle loader hunting a field. Most shots I take are 25 to 30 yards. Never understood why so many deer hunters....especially massachusetts deer hunters......talk about their 100 and 150 yards accuracy using high dollar sabot ammo and a scope. Woods are generally thick in southern new england........you ain't seeing any deer at 100 yards thru the woods lol. And at 30 yards any old 12 gauge slug will get the job done. I check the zero on my deer irons at 50 yards and call it a day.

Personal favorite is taking small pine branches and building a rat nest at the base of a larger trunk that breaks my silhouette. It’s free, it keeps me dry, it’s a thermal break, and it masks my scent if wind turns.
90 percent of the time I just sit at the base of a tree in my orange vest and orange hat and and stay still. Deer walk within 30 yards of me all the time doing that.

The other 10 percent of the time I'm in a pop up blind when hunting a field edge and that's only because I'm on one of those long sit hunts where I actually don't expect to shoot a deer and I'm just out there to be out there (aka NOT AT THE HOUSE). Bring a thermos of coffee and a few sandwiches to keep me happy for 5 to 7 hours. When I'm actually out there to shoot a deer I'm sitting at the base if a tree as still as I can be. Works for me and my son we have a freezer full every year.

Longest shot I've ever had on a deer with a shotgun or muzzle loader was about 50 yards and that was with my muzzle loader hunting a field. Most shots I take are 25 to 30 yards. Never understood why so many deer hunters....especially massachusetts deer hunters......talk about their 100 and 150 yards accuracy using high dollar sabot ammo and a scope. Woods are generally thick in southern new england........you ain't seeing any deer at 100 yards thru the woods lol. And at 30 yards any old 12 gauge slug will get the job done. I check the zero on my deer irons at 50 yards and call it a day.
I have a buddy that takes long shots 150-250 yards. But he has permission to hunt a farm with big fields.

Back
Top Bottom