• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Muzzleloading Hunting: Pop up blinds tips/help

BW23

NES Member
I want to set up a Pop Up hunting blind this season but I’ll be using it only for muzzleloading season. It’s in private land but a lot of people hunt there. South East Mass area.

I know the general tips like:
- keep all windows behind me closed
- keep shooting windows small as possible bc I have to wear orange
- brush in as much as possible to break up the lines.

Q1: but how much blazer orange do I need to put on the outside of the pop up blind? ie 12”X12” orange on each side (4x) of the pop up blind?

Q2: if I have enough orange on the outside of the Blind…can I be dressed in all black? I’ll toss on an Orange vest when I need to walk to and from the blind but not inside.

Q3: who has had success using a pop up blind during muzzleloading season in Mass? I ask bc I recorded myself wearing orange inside the blind and from the outside you can me clearly…it’s insane.

Muzzleloader:
- 290gr .50cal bullet
- 100gr White hot pellets
- shooting between 50-150yds

Q4: there’s camo mesh inside the blind…if I were to shoot through it…how much (if at all) will it affect the bullet? I’m too much of a perfectionist plus I want to get a kill shot not injure the deer.

Thanks!

I want to set up a Pop Up hunting blind this season but I’ll be using it only for muzzleloading season. It’s in private land but a lot of people hunt there. South East Mass area.

Q1: but how much blazer orange do I need to put on the outside of the pop up blind? ie 12”X12” orange on each side (4x) of the pop up blind?

Q2: if I have enough orange on the outside of the Blind…can I be dressed in all black? I’ll toss on an Orange vest when I need to walk to and from the blind but not inside.

Q3: who has had success using a pop up blind during muzzleloading season in Mass? I ask bc I recorded myself wearing orange inside the blind and from the outside you can me clearly…it’s insane.

Muzzleloader:
- 290gr .50cal bullet

Q4: there’s camo mesh inside the blind…if I were to shoot through it…how much (if at all) will it affect the bullet? I’m too much of a perfectionist plus I want to get a kill shot not injure the deer.

Thanks!
So you really need a pop up blind for deer? If you think you do......don't worry about the orange deer don't see in color. Deer hunting is about sitting still and quiet. Sure a pop up let's you move around a little more undetected.....but I have had deer walk within 10 feet of me.....multiple times......I'm not kidding.....when I'm just sitting on the ground wearing caarhaart brown coveralls a green sweatshirt and an orange vest. My advice is learn to sit still even in your blind.

My son and I both tagged deer this season sitting against a tree. We always do. You can spend money on gear till your credit cards are maxed out......and it won't make you a better hunter. I still wear the same caarhart coveralls and green arbortech sweatshirt I've been wearing for decades. I know I sound like an ass but.....I'm not wrong. Scout....learn the patterns on where they are moving from and to......learn to sit quiet and still.

So you really need a pop up blind for deer? If you think you do......don't worry about the orange deer don't see in color. Deer hunting is about sitting still and quiet. Sure a pop up let's you move around a little more undetected.....but I have had deer walk within 10 feet of me.....multiple times......I'm not kidding.....when I'm just sitting on the ground wearing caarhaart brown coveralls a green sweatshirt and an orange vest. My advice is learn to sit still even in your blind.

My son and I both tagged deer this season sitting against a tree. We always do. You can spend money on gear till your credit cards are maxed out......and it won't make you a better hunter. I still wear the same caarhart coveralls and green arbortech sweatshirt I've been wearing for decades. I know I sound like an ass but.....I'm not wrong. Scout....learn the patterns on where they are moving from and to......learn to sit quiet and still.
This....if your gun or muzzleloader hunting and don't need to draw a bow undetected. Really don't need a blind.

That said....i take one in where I can leave it on private land because I own one.....more because I had places in CT I couldn't put a treestand and used it there.
I don't put any orange on it. I'm not sure what the laws are.....but I've never put orange on it. I do wear orange hunting by law in the blind. Blind or not, you have to wear orange in MA while hunting on your person.

Pro's----
Sit longer and more comfortable in a chair than against a tree on a rock or cold ass ground.
More undetected and can move around more and sit and drink a thermos of coffee or hot chocolate.
I can put a buddy heater in it if its cold and its amazing how it warm it gets in there.
If its raining/snowing it keeps me way drier.

Cons

Carrying it in/not wanting to carry it far.
Possiblility of having it stolen.
Leaving it open in weather/wind and having it destroyed.
Not seeing your whole hunting area.
Shoot thru mesh sucks ass when its sunny out, you can't see shit thru it, as it diffuses light big time.

Ive had plenty of success wearing orange in a blind, and killing deer with a gun. Same with archery, but most of that was CT and the deer are fairly stupid there.

If i had a choice of stealth if really trying to kill a deer though, Treestand 20 feet up all day long. Gives you wind, sight, and movement advantage like no other.

Last edited:

There is no requirement that I am aware of but I would make sure that it is visible on all 4 sides.
The regulation specifies front, back, and head so you need to add a hat and if you are using a pack make sure that you have a fluorescent panel for your pack as well.

In Mass it is required at all times. Some states like Connecticut will allow you to take it off once you are 10’ up in a treestand.

Muzzleloader:
- 290gr .50cal bullet

Never gun hunted deer from a blind as others above have said. I much prefer to be mobile.

Hunter orange is required at all times. While there are lots of stupid laws in this state I would never, ever, hunt without orange in this state. I see people do it every year though and I’m sure that Darwin approves.

Thanks!

You really, really, want the muzzle of your ML outside the pop up blind when you pull the trigger.

Others above have also made really good points.

If it is windy it is likely to get blown away or damages by a falling branch, if it snows it will likely collapse breaking rods or tearing the blind, or someone will steal it. They also fade fairly quickly in direct sunlight.

If you put it in “someones spot” they will likely vandalize it by pissing on it, taking a dump in it, or cutting it up.

You may also go in one morning and find it occupied.

I have always gun hunted on the ground and mobile. The deer don’t care about fluorescent orange. The do care about movement and scent.

There is no requirement that I am aware of but I would make sure that it is visible on all 4 sides.

The regulation specifies front, back, and head so you need to add a hat and if you are using a pack make sure that you have a fluorescent panel for your pack as well.

In Mass it is required at all times. Some states like Connecticut will allow you to take it off once you are 10’ up in a treestand.

Never gun hunted deer from a blind as others above have said. I much prefer to be mobile.

Hunter orange is required at all times. While there are lots of stupid laws in this state I would never, ever, hunt without orange in this state. I see people do it every year though and I’m sure that Darwin approves.

You really, really, want the muzzle of your ML outside the pop up blind when you pull the trigger.

Others above have also made really good points.

If it is windy it is likely to get blown away or damages by a falling branch, if it snows it will likely collapse breaking rods or tearing the blind, or someone will steal it. They also fade fairly quickly in direct sunlight.

If you put it in “someones spot” they will likely vandalize it by pissing on it, taking a dump in it, or cutting it up.

You may also go in one morning and find it occupied.

I have always gun hunted on the ground and mobile. The deer don’t care about fluorescent orange. The do care about movement and scent.
Thank you, This was helpful!

Mesh when the sun hit s*cks, but just open the mesh. No big deal. I had a blind set up next to solar panels, so it really s*cked for 2hrs in the morning.

Do you really need to wear orange INSIDE the blind? ... Anyway, it doesn't matter. See last pic.

Blinds are pretty nice, but they work best if you set them up several days before the hunt, although blind #3 was set up 2 days before, but it was in a back yard so deer were used to smells and different stuff.

There is no way I would walk in with a blind the day of the hunt.

Going up a tree is easier and if you want to leave the climber there, you can at least put a lock on it.

Blind #1
We got two deer here. Both deer same spot so each time the shots hit the zipper. Lol that is why the mesh looks that way.

You can see one of the deer if you zoom in.

20231116_160954.jpg

Same blind
20231116_140537.jpg

Blind #2
No luck here this year. 2 deer last year. Plenty of activity, including poop all around it, but not when I was there.

This one was super ghetto, got full of insects and I spent a while camouflaging the sh*t out of it with branches. The solar panels are to me left, you can't see them.

This was a sweet spot.

20231115_145001.jpg

Blind #3 ... and me sleeping. Woke up and shot two deer within a few minutes of waking up.

IMG-20231122-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
Mesh when the sun hit s*cks, but just open the mesh. No big deal. I had a blind set up next to solar panels, so it really s*cked for 2hrs in the morning.

Do you really need to wear orange INSIDE the blind? ... Anyway, it doesn't matter. See last pic.

Blinds are pretty nice, but they work best if you set them up several days before the hunt, although blind #3 was set up 2 days before, but it was in a back yard so deer were used to smells and different stuff.

There is no way I would walk in with a blind the day of the hunt.

Going up a tree is easier and if you want to leave the climber there, you can at least put a lock on it.

Blind #1
We got two deer here. Both deer same spot so each time the shots hit the zipper. Lol that is why the mesh looks that way.

You can see one of the deer if you zoom in.

View attachment 837387

Same blind
View attachment 837388

Blind #2
No luck here this year. 2 deer last year. Plenty of activity, including poop all around it, but not when I was there.

This one was super ghetto, got full of insects and I spent a while camouflaging the sh*t out of it with branches. The solar panels are to me left, you can't see them.

This was a sweet spot.

View attachment 837389

Blind #3 ... and me sleeping. Woke up and shot two deer within a few minutes of waking up.

View attachment 837391
Great pics! Thanks! Ya I would set up a week or so before hunting in it.

I think I’d have to set my windows like blind #2 to keep as invisible as possible wearing orange.

Had a buck walk about 20 feet in front of me one year while squirrel hunting early November while I was wearing blue jeans, a grey hoodie and literally had just stepped in human shit in the parking area! Looked at me for 30 seconds, then just grazed in the area for several minutes while I stood motionless...with human shit on my boot bottom!! 😂

Back
Top Bottom