• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote Hunting

Skunked again this pm. Hit one spot and had to get home.

Getting skunked is the usual for new england predator hunting, I don't care how good you are. Can't kill them from the couch though.

Makes it that much better when it all works the way you planned it!

Getting skunked is the usual for new england predator hunting, I don't care how good you are. Can't kill them from the couch though.

Makes it that much better when it all works the way you planned it!

You seem to be correct for my coyote hunting so far. Went out to three spots this AM and went back to the spot with the most traffics (fresh snowfall) tonight without any success. Hunting with a partner, both sitting with an electric caller and decoy between us.

You seem to be correct for my coyote hunting so far. Went out to three spots this AM and went back to the spot with the most traffics (fresh snowfall) tonight without any success. Hunting with a partner, both sitting with an electric caller and decoy between us.

Are you calling at night?

I am thinking of trying my hand at some coyote hunting, but likely wont be until next year. Seems like not many places to hunt around where I live (the cape) without being within rock throwing distance of someones house. I constantly see them walking through my back yard at night which drives me nuts.

I am thinking of trying my hand at some coyote hunting, but likely wont be until next year. Seems like not many places to hunt around where I live (the cape) without being within rock throwing distance of someones house. I constantly see them walking through my back yard at night which drives me nuts.
This might help to motivate you

https://youtu.be/vbrxzta_gd4

I close on my new house in 11 days, there's a ton of woods behind the property and we found this on one of the soon to be mine trails.... 11 days....
b645c1c212b8fcc58eb880984258d341.jpg

Yeah my friend and I both have FoxPro callers but are getting the hang of which calls to use and the duration to call for. There's definitely a learning curve.

If you're specifically targeting coyotes stick with coyote vocals and pup distress, which i've found to be FAR more productive than prey distress calls.

image.jpg Went out tonight, called in two yotes together, one went down for good! Nice coat. Never got a shot at the other one. Rabbit distress, mouth call. Both came in hauling A**, no more than 20-25 seconds after I stopped calling. A friend of mine wants to mount it. I'm just happy it won't be eating any more fawns. Love shooting coyotes, always exciting. Will try to post pic. Later

Last edited:
How much do your larger coyotes weigh up in the northeast. Down here in Georgia a large male will weigh 45 pounds.

Expect minimal success during daylight hours and increased success at night.

.22LR or shotgun only, if in MA.

View attachment 156547
This is a trail cam pic, right in back of my house.

Nice photo. That's a pretty big one. Looks like a German Shepherd.

check out the new thread i just started on coyote hunting.

Got a link?

Congrats, Dan-O. What did you get him with? Gonna keep or sell the hide?

Any of you guys using the "varmint tipped" AE 223 rounds for putting coyote down? I have 20 boxes of this stuff and was thinking of sighting in my scoped AR with it
http://palmettostatearmory.com/cata...d/4550/s/ae-223-50gr-tipped-varmint-ae223gtv/

Seems like most go 40-60 gr if using .223. Here's some reading for you:
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/predator-and-varmint-hunting/best-223-bullet-for-coyote/
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?topic=92007.0
http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/varmit-hunting/223-remington-perfect-caliber-taking-coyotes

Last edited:
Well, coyotes are "density breeders". The Alpha Male and mate are the only ones in a den that will breed. That controls the population to what the area around the den can support. If it was a lean year for food the Alpha bitch will not produce any kits. If you kill the alpha coyote, order in the den is lost, and all of the others will mate and you have a population explosion. Now, if you live near a lake and have coyotes chasing deer out on the ice to kill them... I'd shoot those bastards in a heartbeat. But I live in the middle of the woods with a medium sized den about 1/4 mile from my house. I could easily go and shoot them, but they don't bother me and there are more deer around here than I can count, so I figure that all things considered it's best to leave them alone.

Whats lurking in your backyard?

I read that last night and I'm thinking how ballsy these bastards are. What pisses me off is how frequently they kill household pets.

It really makes you think again when you see those "Lost Cat" or "Missing Dog" flyers.

We have lost a few cats to Coyotes ( I have tracked after each loss and found just the collar and stomach in each case). You would think people would start to smarten up we have a new lost cat or "puntpuppy" flyers in our mailbox or posted on poles every week.

Decided to see what is in the back yard and here were some of the results.

Who knew, I thought I would get a couple squirrels, raccoon, maybe even a bunny or two ( I got those as well). All it took to get them to come in was a basket of old fruits and veggies dumped in a pile and I felt like Dr. fricken Doolittle...

~PH

Last edited by a moderator:
Temps above freezing means my baitcicles are pulling them in from miles around.

We shall see.

Dan-o, nice one. Details please. Firearm, cal, visibility, etc.

Temps above freezing means my baitcicles are pulling them in from miles around.

We shall see.

Dan-o, nice one. Details please. Firearm, cal, visibility, etc.

Thx!

Benelli 12g. #4 bird shot, 25-30 yards. Moon was almost full, but cloudy. Happened to poke thru as we set up to call. The one in pic. Is a female, she was closest. I shot, she "circled the wagons" a couple times, then down and out. Hope to try again tonight with the full moon. Will post if I get lucky again.

^Nice. Good to hear that #4 bird worked out for ya.

I've shot a few before I started calling, always have to be ready with coyotes. Ask me how I know, i've had one walk right into me before I started calling and I wasn't ready. Needless to say we both scared the sh*t out of eachother.

That coyote taught me something that has ended up costing several others their life.

He's back... After tearing the baitcicle off its 5/8" poly anchor rope. One cool thing though. He's become acclimated to the glow of the camera's LED. I did reduce the intensity from high to low. Prior to this, he'd spook, so I set it to picture mode. Added bonus: the camera's IR illuminator is sufficient enough for use with NV scope.

[video=vimeo;153707892]https://vimeo.com/153707892[/video]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom