Coyote Hunting

I got two on the board this past weekend. Headed out east to call a few trusty stands that have produced in the past. Haven't had any luck locally, tons of bird hunters in my good spots and I unfortunately don't have any private land to hunt. I hope to have a few more before shotgun deer starts.

Called both in with a foxpro shockwave. First one was a big male, second was a yearling female. Got them on back to back days, both around 4pm. Typically I use a shotgun but I got both with a .223

Anyone else have any luck yet?

Nice work!

I got one yesterday, sadly it's the first one of the year for me. It wasn't afraid of my growling and barking 90lb Labrador which got within 40' feet of the yote before I got the shot off.

Derek- watch some of the decoy dog furtakers episodes if you haven't seen them, it's awesome how the coyotes react to the domestic dogs.

So after 5 seconds of research, I understand you can take the basic hunters course online anywhere.

Beautiful pics above.

Still have a question that I think I asked in the last coyote thread: For nuisance coyote hunting in my area, there are large fields/woodlands right out my back door, what does one do for carcass disposal if they don't eat them or want the fur or anything?

So after 5 seconds of research, I understand you can take the basic hunters course online anywhere.

Beautiful pics above.

Still have a question that I think I asked in the last coyote thread: For nuisance coyote hunting in my area, there are large fields/woodlands right out my back door, what does one do for carcass disposal if they don't eat them or want the fur or anything?

Dump em'

You can bury them if it would make you feel better, and/or if you'd prefer to not advertise if the neighbors dog finds it.

I'd still advise to take the fur, it's usually pretty nice this time of year.

To date I haven't seen a coyote eat or even approach another coyote carcass. Some people say they are cannibal but I haven't seen evidence of it.

Thanks. Any carcass will be moved to another site. I tried using a fresh roadkill opossum once. They never touched it. They do love those pheasant carcasses though!

Thanks. Any carcass will be moved to another site. I tried using a fresh roadkill opossum once. They never touched it. They do love those pheasant carcasses though!

I don't bait but I do know that it takes a LONG TIME to get them to habituate a bait pile. They're just way to skiddish to come running in like people think. I have read about some guys in Mass that keep they're piles running year around and are very successful doing that.

I don't bait but I do know that it takes a LONG TIME to get them to habituate a bait pile. They're just way to skiddish to come running in like people think. I have read about some guys in Mass that keep they're piles running year around and are very successful doing that.

I'll be setting a site up, come January. After about a week, the site gets hit regularly. I've still yet to capitalize on it though. Gotta get me some NV gear.

I took mine in NH but not online. I looked into that and NH stated that you needed a field day test that was 8 hours in order to pass. So i didn't even bother. Monadnock Rod & Gun was 2 days from 8-5 or something like that.

Not for MA. You have to get a place in one of the courses. There is a list on the Mass fish and wildlife website. I would sign up for emails of when they are available and sign up straight away for one that suits you. They fill up quick. I did mine over a weekend at the swift river sportsman club, in Belchertown. I see you're in Hadley so this may be a good one to get on. It was in February. I'm sure they're all done for the year.

I read that last night and I'm thinking how ballsy these bastards are. What pisses me off is how frequently they kill household pets.

It really makes you think again when you see those "Lost Cat" or "Missing Dog" flyers.

In my area when I see those signs and it's of a cat or small dog I assume that it was eaten.

Not for MA. You have to get a place in one of the courses. There is a list on the Mass fish and wildlife website. I would sign up for emails of when they are available and sign up straight away for one that suits you. They fill up quick. I did mine over a weekend at the swift river sportsman club, in Belchertown. I see you're in Hadley so this may be a good one to get on. It was in February. I'm sure they're all done for the year.

texas online course is perfectly okay for Mass hunting license. States have to accept other states course as long as the meet the specific requirements.

I took the Texas online ( as well as others on this site) and had no problem getting a MA hunting license

Are you sure?
Their website seems to indicate differently:
Basic Hunter Education Courses

All first-time hunters who wish to purchase a Massachusetts hunting or sporting (combination) license must successfully complete a Basic Hunter Education course. The Basic Hunter Education course is designed for novice hunters and is standardized across North America. All government-issued Basic Hunter Education certificates, from any North American jurisdiction, are accepted as proof of successfully completing the course in order to purchase a hunting or sporting license.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/education-events/hed/basic-hunter-education-courses.html

I'm asking, I don't honestly know for certain, not trying to be a wise arse. :paul:

Are you sure?
Their website seems to indicate differently:
I'm asking, I don't honestly know for certain, not trying to be a wise arse. :paul:

i was under the impression that online courses needed a day class also but I guess not for Texas. It took me ages to get on one of the courses here, with work schedule etc, don't know how I missed that!! I stand corrected haha. I would recommend doing the actual course at some stage too though. I learned a lot and met some cool people. They're free too.

Thanks for the info guys, RDG you got me by a minute, thanks again!

Definitely looking into becoming a Texas hunter.

Take the hunting coarse in NH and come back into Mass and buy your license and be done with it.

That is what I did. I also purchased tags in NH for the first two years but did not this year.

anybody looking to get rid of them let me know. My son and I will buy them off of you. Good practice for him to skin them out.

Coyotes have ruined my woodchuck hunting. I was welcomed on farms to hunt chucks and later got to hunt other game there.

I have shot a few coyotes but I don't hunt as much in the off season now as there are no woodchucks.

Back
Top Bottom