Coyote Hunting

Recommended bait for coyotes?

I might be in if you're looking for someone to take watch shifts. What kind of distances would you be looking at? I'd love to stretch out my 300 WSM on some 'yotes.
100 yards is the best lane I currently have clear. Parts of my property could go a little further but I would have to take out a lot more trees.

NH limits bait types until bear baiting season is over (Dec 15th), any recommendations on bait for coyotes? Only technique I know of is Alpo canned dog food, with lots of churchkey holes and wired to a tree so they can't drag it away.

Last edited:
Any type of animal parts, butcher scraps, duck and pheasant carcasses, wet dog food.

Once it's cold enough free softball sized clumps of scraps, put one out in the same spot every couple of days. They will get in the habit of checking that area for more.

100 yards is the best lane I currently have clear. Parts of my property could go a little further but I would have to take out a lot more trees.

NH limits bait types until bear baiting season is over (Dec 15th), any recommendations on bait for coyotes? Only technique I know of is Alpo canned dog food, with lots of churchkey holes and wired to a tree so they can't drag it away.

If you can get one coyote, you can use it to bait more coyotes.

Decoys. Anyone use coyote decoys? If so, what type of setting (woods, fields?) and calls used in conjunction with it? Day, night?

I'm thinking of trying one as a confidence enhancer, to get educated coyotes to come in closer.

Coyote/Wolf

New to this thread and saw this one, I have seen this photo before in a gang e-mail. It is a wolf, maybe your brother-in-laws friend was pulling his leg.
I was hunting deer with a group in the metro west area and we came across half a deer carcass that some coyotes were feeding off of. It was early morning and sure enough several coyote came in to several of our stands, more than likely to feed off the carcass. We had muzzleloaders, I got a shot off at one of them and was pretty sure I connected but could not find him or any blood, so more than likely missed.
We were on land locked swamp, about two hundred acres of it. We were able to get access through private land. The owner told us to please shoot any coyotes we might see as his neighbors dog was killed by coyotes the year before. The guy came home after making a short trip to the store leaving his dog tied out in the yard and when he got back maybe 45 minutes later and found his dog partially eatened or mutilated with what looked like dog/coyote prints left in the mess. They will kill and eat other small dogs, cats, etc.. and I suspect children if given the opportunity. They are vermin as others have stated. Best to keep the numbers down. Do some reading about or do some internet searching about encounters with them in the suburbs etc.. they take what they can eat where they find it, your back yard or in the swamps, its their nature period. Good Luck hunting.

that we got
NICE!! My brother-in-law's neighbor knows a guy that got this 'yote with a S&W Governor a few years ago [wink]

wolf_3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking of using the coyote-like, coyote-sized decoys.

Let us know how those work out, only risk you run is intimidating a less dominate yote but it may work great in combination with coyote vocals.

I've had good luck with my foxjack decoy, keeps their attention off you. Seen a few at close range looking directly at it.

Let us know how those work out, only risk you run is intimidating a less dominate yote but it may work great in combination with coyote vocals.

I've had good luck with my foxjack decoy, keeps their attention off you. Seen a few at close range looking directly at it.

I'm going to rig something up again myself. I did one years ago with braided fishing line. The line made it a hastle but this time I'm going to put it on an old reel. I agree that they probably create a great distraction from the few times I used it.

A buddy and I used it once right up to dark. Nothing seen. As soon as we started walking out we heard a call from the slightly downwind edge. Prob smelled us and stopped right there.

This is the way I feel! Before the population of coyotes exploded (last 20 years) there were white and cottontail rabbits galore. I been hunting coyotes for fifteen years and I just shoot them and give them a kick. They are not easy to hunt during the day believe me. I use a call but they wise up to that in a short time. I made a cooker out of one pound coffee cans and use sterno to heat bacon fat and that works if one is close along with calling. The best and I mean the best method is if you can get blood from a slaughter house and lay down a trail and just wait at the end of it. This has great results! Any coyote crossing the trail will follow it and usually more than one. It is best to have another hunter with you because it will be fast and furious. I use a Browning A-Bolt 223 WSSM......but wish I could use #1 buckshot. I don't care if it is an instant death, just put some pellets in them so this vermin can die later. Coyotes are the number one killer of fawns in the spring. How many see adult does in the summer with no fawns? Coyotes (and yes bear) are the reason.

I have never had any interest in hunting an animal I don't intend to eat, but after reading up on how much of a nuisance yotes really are, I am in this year. Anyone on the Cape that wants another gun with them for the remainder of this season, PM me. I have an AR and five .22 rifles. Whatever works best for the job.

Now that deer season is over...

Overnight temps in the single digits ought to be good for fueling hunger. If I wasn't working, I'd be getting out for some stands at daybreak during the next couple of days.

The critters (fox, raccoon, coyotes) have begun visiting my bait site daily since the recent snow/freezing rain event blanketed the terrain with a hard cover.

Saw 0 deer this year...but did see one coyote during black powder/deer season. I looked over my left should and saw this lady at 10 yards...then she ran. At 35 yards I shot. The .50 caliber round ball entered in the neck and out between the eyes. Coyoted-Downed-12-30-15a.jpg

Ha! Yeah...probably a bit more than needed! ;^)

... working on fleshing it out now...ugh...I don't have the 'feel' of it just yet... 8^(

I made a cooker out of one pound coffee cans and use sterno to heat bacon fat and that works if one is close along with calling. The best and I mean the best method is if you can get blood from a slaughter house and lay down a trail and just wait at the end of it. This has great results!

Calling over hot bacon greese and sitting on a man-laid blood trail IS NOT good advice IMO. Seems like more of a joke to me. You think calling educated them but the bacon over sterno didn't? Jeez.

Last edited:
I would definitely like to do some coyote hunting in 2016, as I have a lot around my area and figured what the heck, might as well try it out. I went online and was searching what people actually do with the animals, as in why hunt them. Aside from population control, humans being their only predator in this area, pushing farther into suburban areas, the fear people have, and killing off the game we pursue, what are other reasons to hunt them? I was reading up on this forum that there's a guy out in Bellingham, Ma that purchases furs, but who else in the area would? I don't think I would want to eat it....unless other people do and its good stuff. If they are cannibals, that's even more weird for me. I cant really get over the fact that its a Canine. Any other uses for these animals to give me more of a reason to hunt them? I can't justify leaving any animal and just taking the fur. It seems unethical to me. I'm sure other people have the same types of questions. I just want to see what other people's opinions are. Thanks!

Theyre are a nuisance animal for the most part, so reducing their population to a healthy amount is good for the Deer, Moose etc herds. There are folks in in my area of maine that will take them for the fur and they do have some nice fur. If you are helping the overall game environment and using the fur I dont see why you would think it would be unethical. Maybe if you though of them as large Rats or Mice, and Im sure youve popped a few of those in a trap only to toss them away. In this case youre gettin a nice fur and if you get a good size one, they do make nice mounts! Good hunting :)

Put some hours in over the bait site last night, and managed only to hear a few twigs breaking off in the distance. While making my way out of the woods, I decided to make short sprints through the crusty ice, in an attempt to NOT sound like a human creeping. After a few of these, and pausing each time, I heard a "WHOO-ooo" howl, what seemed to be about 75 yards away. It repeated the howl for at least a half dozen times.

I made my way back out there today to swap memory cards, and the bait wasn't touched. But, I did find a few sets of fresh deer prints on my path, which were intercepted by canine prints. It was plain to see the deer had turned a 180° and bolted away. I'm going to freshen the bait site regularly, but will leave it alone until more regular activity resumes after some longer periods of colder temps. My interim plan is to try some stands before dusk at some fields, using the caller.

You did better than I did on Sat. Didn't hear or see a thing. Only hit one spot.

Gonna start making my bait-cicles tonight. I'm thinking two at about 3+ gallons each. Not huge but at least something.

You did better than I did on Sat. Didn't hear or see a thing. Only hit one spot.

Gonna start making my bait-cicles tonight. I'm thinking two at about 3+ gallons each. Not huge but at least something.

same here... Looks to be cold enough this week... Got some scrap beef, chicken carcass, and I picked up some dry dog food for filler.

Someone i I know suggested tuna as a scent source. I guess it smells even when frozen. Guess we'll see. I'm gonna put a game cam on the bait-cicle and leave it for at least a few days.

Just keep calling and you'll produce, forget the bait piles. I don't bait but I know it's a bad year for them, too many other food sources. I called a red fox and a coyote this weekend, got the red fox with a .223 and missed the coyote with my muzzleloader @ 125 yards. I'll get him.

same here... Looks to be cold enough this week... Got some scrap beef, chicken carcass, and I picked up some dry dog food for filler.

Someone i I know suggested tuna as a scent source. I guess it smells even when frozen. Guess we'll see. I'm gonna put a game cam on the bait-cicle and leave it for at least a few days.

Raccoons LOVE fish. You've been warned!

I'd been getting regular visits, but that hard ice cover slowed the traffic. One coyote made a rare daytime visit, but was a bit camera shy: https://vid.me/qyUu

Back
Top Bottom