• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote Hunting

I would definitely like to do some coyote hunting in 2016, as I have a lot around my area and figured what the heck, might as well try it out. I went online and was searching what people actually do with the animals, as in why hunt them. Aside from population control, humans being their only predator in this area, pushing farther into suburban areas, the fear people have, and killing off the game we pursue, what are other reasons to hunt them? I was reading up on this forum that there's a guy out in Bellingham, Ma that purchases furs, but who else in the area would? I don't think I would want to eat it....unless other people do and its good stuff. If they are cannibals, that's even more weird for me. I cant really get over the fact that its a Canine. Any other uses for these animals to give me more of a reason to hunt them? I can't justify leaving any animal and just taking the fur. It seems unethical to me. I'm sure other people have the same types of questions. I just want to see what other people's opinions are. Thanks!

Fur and fun, that's about it.

Have em tanned for wall hanger's and give them away to friends/family. You won't be killing them by the truckload, they're not easy to get.

I'm in the same boat as u Dun. A little close to canine for me, but I'm taking one if it crosses me while hunting deer.

Last edited:
It won't be bad to try out. Especially since I want them gone and are a problem. I'm probably just over thinking it. I was thinking they'd be around and be moving in a pack. If they won't be by the truckload, 1 or 2 in order to better my skills is fine with me. Thanks guys!

- - - Updated - - -

Ya especially since people are saying it's a challenge. Would be different that's for sure.

Seen a couple scurry off in the distance around here. My sister called me last night saying she almost hit one crossing the road and was afraid to get out of the car lol. Id like to hunt them this year, but Ill be honest Ive never gone hunting. Aside from the laws and regulations to follow, All Id need is a hunting license correct?

Damn that's a close call! Ya hunting license. I'm pretty sure in mass there's a season for it starting in january? Don't quote me on that though. But a solid piece of info....you can be in the woods after dark with anything larger than a 22. It's a pretty reduculous law. A 308 or 30-06 will do the same damage at night as it does during the day lol. Mass is pretty backwards. Just make sure you read up on the laws and you should be all set. Get your hunters safety done and get your FID card or even better, your LTC if your town doesn't have any restrictions. Any questions just pm me! just went through the spiel this past summer. hunting is an addiction!

Last edited:
I have shot a couple while deer hunting. You can eat them but nobody does because they are scavengers. Not good for much other than eating deer and turkeys.

I picked up a call to try out if I fill my deer tag early.

Seen a couple scurry off in the distance around here. My sister called me last night saying she almost hit one crossing the road and was afraid to get out of the car lol. Id like to hunt them this year, but Ill be honest Ive never gone hunting. Aside from the laws and regulations to follow, All Id need is a hunting license correct?

Damn that's a close call! Ya hunting license. I'm pretty sure in mass there's a season for it starting in january? Don't quote me on that though. But a solid piece of info....you can be in the woods after dark with anything larger than a 22. It's a pretty reduculous law. A 308 or 30-06 will do the same damage at night as it does during the day lol. Mass is pretty backwards. Just make sure you read up on the laws and you should be all set. Get your hunters safety done and get your FID card or even better, your LTC if your town doesn't have any restrictions. Any questions just pm me! just went through the spiel this past summer. hunting is an addiction!

I already have a LTC A no restrictions, just never had a use for hunting really. I get packs going through my yard routinely during the winter out here and figured I might as well do my part in population control lol. I was planning to use my tube fed Marlin 60 for the most part.

Coyote season is open now. January 1- March 7 is the end of last years season...
Jan. 1 – Mar. 7
Oct. 17 – Mar. 8, 2016
From the abstracts:
Coyote & Fox
Hunting hours begin ½ hour before sunrise and end at midnight, except 1) on WMAs stocked with pheasant or quail during the pheasant and quail season when hunting hours begin at sunrise and end at sunset and, 2) when hunting coyote during the shotgun deer season (see below). Coyote and fox may be hunted with shotguns, muzzleloaders, and archery, as well as rifles and handguns with special nighttime restrictions (see Hunting Prohibitions). Coyotes may be hunted with shotguns using numbered or lettered birdshot (≤ 0.230 inch pellet diameter; up to FF), except during the shotgun deer season (see below). Fox may be hunted with numbered birdshot only (≤ 0.160 inch pellet diameter). It is legal to hunt coyote and fox using bait, decoys, electronic or manual calls, and dogs. Artificial lights are prohibited. Coyote and fox pelts/carcasses must be checked/reported within 4 working days of the end of the season by either 1) checking them at an official check station (see below), or 2) reporting them online and writing the harvest confirmation number on a tag of your own making, then attaching the tag to the carcass or pelt (see below for details). Confirmation numbers must remain attached to all pelts/carcasses, with the specific confirmation number issued for each particular pelt or carcass, until the carcass is prepared for mounting by a taxidermist, or the pelt is sold or tanned.

During the shotgun deer season it is legal to hunt coyotes, but not fox; however the following additional regulations apply:

• Hunting hours begin ½ hour before sunrise and end ½ hour after sunset.
  • Use of manual or electronic calls and dogs are prohibited.
  • Rifles and handguns are prohibited.
  • Shotguns and muzzleloaders loaded with slugs, single balls, or buckshot are permitted.
  • Hunters must wear a minimum of 500 square inches of hunter orange on their head, chest, and back.
Hunting Prohibitions
Rifles chambered to take ammunition larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire, and pistols and revolvers chambered to take ammunition larger than .38 caliber, between the hours of ½ hour after sunset and ½ hour before sunrise.

Here is a link to another thread about coyotes with a few interesting videos:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...eet-the-Coywolf-quot?highlight=coyote+jon+way
Here is a link to the discussion of the silly night hunting rules:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/285977-Coyote-Hunting-in-Massachusetts-The-Laws-and-Folly?highlight=coyote

When I read your op, it seemed that you had your mind made up and wanted silly answers...
Jon Way is a Cape Cod expert on coyotes.
Here is his web site:

http://www.easterncoyoteresearch.com/
He is very anti coyote hunting... He hates hunters because they kill coyotes and don't eat them, then he relates how coyotes kill foxes (and don't eat them [shocked] [hmmm])
For a moment, I thought you might have been him. [laugh]

Coyote season is open now. January 1- March 7 is the end of last years season...
Jan. 1 – Mar. 7
Oct. 17 – Mar. 8, 2016
From the abstracts:
Coyote & Fox
Hunting hours begin ½ hour before sunrise and end at midnight, except 1) on WMAs stocked with pheasant or quail during the pheasant and quail season when hunting hours begin at sunrise and end at sunset and, 2) when hunting coyote during the shotgun deer season (see below). Coyote and fox may be hunted with shotguns, muzzleloaders, and archery, as well as rifles and handguns with special nighttime restrictions (see Hunting Prohibitions). Coyotes may be hunted with shotguns using numbered or lettered birdshot (≤ 0.230 inch pellet diameter; up to FF), except during the shotgun deer season (see below). Fox may be hunted with numbered birdshot only (≤ 0.160 inch pellet diameter). It is legal to hunt coyote and fox using bait, decoys, electronic or manual calls, and dogs. Artificial lights are prohibited. Coyote and fox pelts/carcasses must be checked/reported within 4 working days of the end of the season by either 1) checking them at an official check station (see below), or 2) reporting them online and writing the harvest confirmation number on a tag of your own making, then attaching the tag to the carcass or pelt (see below for details). Confirmation numbers must remain attached to all pelts/carcasses, with the specific confirmation number issued for each particular pelt or carcass, until the carcass is prepared for mounting by a taxidermist, or the pelt is sold or tanned.

During the shotgun deer season it is legal to hunt coyotes, but not fox; however the following additional regulations apply:

• Hunting hours begin ½ hour before sunrise and end ½ hour after sunset.
  • Use of manual or electronic calls and dogs are prohibited.
  • Rifles and handguns are prohibited.
  • Shotguns and muzzleloaders loaded with slugs, single balls, or buckshot are permitted.
  • Hunters must wear a minimum of 500 square inches of hunter orange on their head, chest, and back.
Hunting Prohibitions
Rifles chambered to take ammunition larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire, and pistols and revolvers chambered to take ammunition larger than .38 caliber, between the hours of ½ hour after sunset and ½ hour before sunrise.

Here is a link to another thread about coyotes with a few interesting videos:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...eet-the-Coywolf-quot?highlight=coyote+jon+way
Here is a link to the discussion of the silly night hunting rules:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/285977-Coyote-Hunting-in-Massachusetts-The-Laws-and-Folly?highlight=coyote

When I read your op, it seemed that you had your mind made up and wanted silly answers...
Jon Way is a Cape Cod expert on coyotes.
Here is his web site:

http://www.easterncoyoteresearch.com/
He is very anti coyote hunting... He hates hunters because they kill coyotes and don't eat them, then he relates how coyotes kill foxes (and don't eat them [shocked] [hmmm])
For a moment, I thought you might have been him. [laugh]

Ohhhh noooo hahaha. I'm definitely not anti coyote. I hate them and see them as a huge nuisance. I just wanted to see what other people's thoughts were and if anybody had any other reasons to hunt them besides what I had come up with and read. I've read stuff about people eating them in stews and such but it's just weird for me. I'd give it a go to see what it was like. They're all around my land and have been getting more and more used to the area. Theyve actually been about 20 feet from the porch and they do their yipping and fighting. I should have stated it better. My bad. Thanks for the post about the rules and info. Shot placement with a .22 is going to have to be dead nuts if you hunt at night. I'll definitely read up on that thread. Also, I learned about the bounty in NH and how they were so back logged with people submitting kills, that people weren't getting their payouts until well after they ended the program. Pretty crazy to think there's that much of a problem with them. Family In Medford have seen them in broad daylight on the streets. And that's just not cool.

mI3LZl3p_400x400.jpg

Lots of places where it is OK to hunt in Franklin. NES retaliation team? Count me in. (Seriously...)

Exactly what derek said... Coyote aren't technically native to this part of the country. They migrated from the western states and bred with grey wolfs, that's why the northeast coyote is the quite a bit larger than anywhere else in the country. They have put a big hurting on the deer population.

If you need a good reason, think about the children...seriously though. Yotes have been known to attack kids and household pets.

kill the dirty dogs and leave them for dead (after you harvest their hide, of course)

just don't let anyone snap a picture of you pissing on their corpses.

MasShiTchusetts of all the New England states has the most restrictive season on coyote. Vt., NH, Ct. and Me. have no closed season for hunting them, RI has no closed season on "private land" and a defined season on public lands.
Ma. Refuses and continues to fight going to a "No closed season" and the reason is that The Div. of Fish and Wildlife whores are petrified of the animal rights idiots, Yeah, you know the ones that don't pay the bills for that agency.

So the other thing if you need to validate or create an excuse to do something, Then maybe whatever it is not right for you.

Same reason the moose hunts are screwed up in Maine. They seriously scheduled the hunts in some zones around leaf peepers and made it much harder to hunt them in those areas.

Massachusetts requires that your domestic canine be both licensed and vaccinated against rabies.. coyotes are neither licensed nor vaccinated against rabies.. its a public health issue..shoot them..

Last edited:
Problem I see is, I talk to people that want to get their hunting license, and they can't because the second MA opens up a class they get packed full right away.

Then I talked to a hunter this weekend, he says the number of hunters in the state is way down. [rolleyes]

I got two on the board this past weekend. Headed out east to call a few trusty stands that have produced in the past. Haven't had any luck locally, tons of bird hunters in my good spots and I unfortunately don't have any private land to hunt. I hope to have a few more before shotgun deer starts.

Called both in with a foxpro shockwave. First one was a big male, second was a yearling female. Got them on back to back days, both around 4pm. Typically I use a shotgun but I got both with a .223

Anyone else have any luck yet?

MA laws on coyote hunting are confusing when it comes to guns I can use. Can I use an ar? Is there a mag size cap? I'd try it out but I dont feel like reading a book of laws and end up missing something that gets me in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom