Coyote hunting

I know this has been hashed over,,,, but at night, in Mass, a 30 herret contender? It is a smaller chamber than 38 caliber. I asked this to a warden at a hunter safety course a few years ago and he said it was okay but,,,,, I don't want to be that guy.

30 Herrett... were you a silhouette shooter in a past life? That means my 7 TCU Contender and .221 Fireball XP100 are good to go too! (Probably not kosher, but what could go wrong?) Seriously think I would be unable to see to get out of the woods if I fired the Fireball at night. I just don't see or hear as many/any coyotes in my area (Foxboro-ish). Still planning to get out soon. The Fireball is great during the day. It has a 10X Burris and I can carry it under my coat with a sling. Shoots under 1" at 100.
White Feather

There is a very definite causation between deer density and human lyme infection.

A population of a few coyotes will eat dozens of deer in the course of a year. So in the presence of coyotes, you will have much fewer deer in an area. Even if you count the coyotes towards the population of vector carrying animals, there will be fewer total animals around with coyotes in the picture.

The Champion of Yotes in Suburbia... Yotes aren't fixing your lyme problem down there in suburbia dude. Hate to break it to you.

Douche was a nice touch though.

went out today and used a squeaker on some public land near the capitol, fair amount of tracks around the deer sign from the last couple days...only managed to call in a house cat though [rolleyes]

went out today and used a squeaker on some public land near the capitol, fair amount of tracks around the deer sign from the last couple days...only managed to call in a house cat though [rolleyes]

Don't waste your time hunting during daylight hours. Try around 9:00 pm. Call softly, wait 10 minutes, and move to another spot.

re: nights

This website allows you to create a moon phase calender, with moon rise & set times:

http://www.skyviewcafe.com/skyview.php

It looks like the second week of February should provide some moonlit evenings. I've got a couple boxes of HeviShot Dead Coyote (3" T shot) headed my way, which I hope to pattern next week.

re: nights

This website allows you to create a moon phase calender, with moon rise & set times:

http://www.skyviewcafe.com/skyview.php

It looks like the second week of February should provide some moonlit evenings. I've got a couple boxes of HeviShot Dead Coyote (3" T shot) headed my way, which I hope to pattern next week.

You won't be disappointed in the dead coyote load, I've taken three this year with it and all three were DRT. Expensive stuff but like their motto says "you didn't come this far to miss."

I got a question about calling coyotes. Can you over call them like turkeys or should you just let the ecall run non stop, somewhere inbetween? Ive been using minimal amount of calls to no avail, watched some videos that just let the call go nonstop. Is thatba better method?

I got a question about calling coyotes. Can you over call them like turkeys or should you just let the ecall run non stop, somewhere inbetween? Ive been using minimal amount of calls to no avail, watched some videos that just let the call go nonstop. Is thatba better method?

Most people over call. Start softly. Call for 10-20 minutes and move on.

Is that a constant 10-20 or say 20 seconds wait a minute or 5...new to this and trying to learn. Thanks for you're help.

Break it up. Use a rabbit distress call. Be the bunny. Lol. Would a near death rabbit have the lung capacity to scream loudly for 20 minutes? Just try to be authentic in your calling. Coyotes are smart. The ones that have been called an shot at are well educated. I've found that dying woodpecker calls work well too. If you use an e-caller, keep it turned down low. If you can hear it from 100 yards, it's too loud. Coyotes can hear a mouse under a foot of snow.

My hunt was looking promising yesterday, with fresh bobcat & coyote tracks. After leaving my sets, I spotted the tracks where a cat was coming into the call, then turned tail. Same with a coyote's tracks that was following a deer, but headed towards the call, only to jam the other way. I guess the dirtbike blasting through the woods trails caused them to lose their appetite?

The moon's coming up at dusk now, and should be prime shortly, so I'm going to switch tactics. I'll be patterning some Hevishot tomorrow, then trying my luck at night in more suburban environments, instead of the mountain woods. A few areas I'll be looking at are isolated patches of woods, with small fields nearby, near populated areas. I've seen a lot of coyotes in the past in these areas, but only while driving by at 3am.

Very, very difficult to sneak up on a coyote, especially in the daytime.

I have seen as many as six, but only late at night.

I've been trying to read up on yote hunting and hope to get out before the season ends.

What do most of you nighttime MA hunters use for gun and ammo?

Thanks

I've been trying to read up on yote hunting and hope to get out before the season ends.

What do most of you nighttime MA hunters use for gun and ammo?

Thanks

Most guys use a shotgun.

Some of the guys i know in RI use a .17 HMR with a scope and light. Yotes will run from a white light, but not from a light with a red filter.

About that night hunting. In MA, a muzzleloader is permissible for coyote, with no restrictions (other than caliber during shotgun deer season). That blast of black powder ought to be something to see at night.

Went out for my first day coyote hunting today. sat in one stand for about 45-60min and saw nothing. packed up to move, got my truck stuck for about 45min. got to another stand, sat about 45min didnt see anything, heard a few snowmobilers in the distance. Not super discouraged, still had a great day, 30 degrees, sunny, very light wind, about 4-8 inches of old snow on the ground. It was an amazing winter day to be out in the woods. Ill be back out soon for sure.

Went out for my first day coyote hunting today. sat in one stand for about 45-60min and saw nothing. packed up to move, got my truck stuck for about 45min. got to another stand, sat about 45min didnt see anything, heard a few snowmobilers in the distance. Not super discouraged, still had a great day, 30 degrees, sunny, very light wind, about 4-8 inches of old snow on the ground. It was an amazing winter day to be out in the woods. Ill be back out soon for sure.
You're doing it wrong.

Read a few posts back. Stop hunting in daylight. It's a waste of time.
The coyote I killed at noonish the other day made me feel like I wasn't wasting my time. I do agree night is better but if you can find the time day or night I say hunt. Good luck all.

I agree on night also but did shoot a yote in the afternoon while deer hunting.
The coyote I killed at noonish the other day made me feel like I wasn't wasting my time. I do agree night is better but if you can find the time day or night I say hunt. Good luck all.

full moon on the 14th. But we'll have good moon light from the 12th to the 18th. This looks like the best opportunity for the month. I'm going to try really hard to head out.

Wow...I was just going to look up the coming moon phases - Now I don't have to. Thanks!
Just dug out my old dying rabbit call....I plan to use a full choke 12 ga. with #5 turkey loads.
Adequate?

I just saw two big Yotes running along the side of a busy road in Middletown RI a few minutes ago. These things are everywhere on Aquidneck Island, brazen suckers too.

I need to find someone with private land locally, i have a new Yote gun coming in this week. [grin]

Where?I live in Middletown, and have access to property out by St. Columbus and been thinking about having a go at it there. I live between the High School and Middle School and have them in my front yard, last summer they killed a deer in my neighbors yard. I'm at the point where I carry a full size pistol when walking the dog at night, one would think that I'm in upstate Maine or something.

Back
Top Bottom