Coyote hunting

Anyone tried a 17 WSM for after sundown coyotes in Ma.yet?

Isn't the chamber larger than .22LR?

- - - Updated - - -

... The bolt action on the rifle sucks, since the last part of the bolt function also cocks the rifle. If your not careful the bolt will not cock the rifle as designed and you will waste time doing it all over again as the coyote/coyote's runs off. I want a semi auto or a rifle that doesn't cock via the bolt. I haven't got this this rifle sighted in yet, but test drove it just a little bit last weekend.

Bolt-actions require a deliberate operation to function.

When I called the fish and game office , they told me that .17 is smaller than.22, there for it is legal to use. They also informed me that .357 is smaller than .38 so it also is legal to use.

Last edited:
Isn't the chamber larger than .22LR?

- - - Updated - - -

Bolt-actions require a deliberate operation to function.

Yes, that is true, but if you work the bolt in question , you will see clearly what it is that I am referring to and it only applies to this particular rifle model.

Thanks for the tip...but I'm in RI so i don't have an FID, and i can't find the stuff anywhere. It sucks!

In RI we are limited to .22 Rimfire or smaller from 9/30-4/1, and up to .229 Centerfire during the off season. My only options to hunt Coyotes on public land, with the exception of a couple weeks of overlap when i can use my .223, are stuff like the .17 WSM, HMR, or a 22 mag.

I'm a big Savage fan, but i don't like anything about the B.MAG. I bought one only for the cartridge it shoots, the gun itself does nothing for me.

I'm also a little unsure about Coyote with a 20gr bullet, i guess i'll have to try it and see how it is.

If you ever plan to get over this way let me know in advance, or near Dave Santouri's shop as well. I can help with your dilemma.

Thanks for the tip...but I'm in RI so i don't have an FID, and i can't find the stuff anywhere. It sucks!

In RI we are limited to .22 Rimfire or smaller from 9/30-4/1, and up to .229 Centerfire during the off season. My only options to hunt Coyotes on public land, with the exception of a couple weeks of overlap when i can use my .223, are stuff like the .17 WSM, HMR, or a 22 mag.

I'm a big Savage fan, but i don't like anything about the B.MAG. I bought one only for the cartridge it shoots, the gun itself does nothing for me.

I'm also a little unsure about Coyote with a 20gr bullet, i guess i'll have to try it and see how it is.

You're welcomed to come here and hunt with us.

When I called the fish and game office , they told me that .17 is smaller than.22, there for it is legal to use. They also informed me that .357 is smaller than .38 so it also is legal to use.

Yeah, I wouldn't go by that assessment. The regulation deals with chamber size, not bore.

All I hunt is coyotes. Live in mass near boston. Get 8 or 9 a year. I don't hunt during bow season. Coyotes are feeding on wounded deer from bow hunters. Now is the best time. They are fat from the deer and with snow on the ground u can see at night. When I use a fox pro I put it on grey squrrel. I Don't think the caller bothers the deer. I have seen them grazing 50 ft from the caller.

I use mine at about 50 yards but I don't know how much farther it will go. That will give u a 80 to 100 yard shot. If they get much closer and don"t smell something they will take off

For those in the Rindge area I think the local pack has taken to hanging in the area of the old Famm Steel building on Rt. 202. Am hearing them a lot lately.

That's an example of the lack of understanding even DFW has of their own regs. See pupchow's post. There was a gentleman here (sorry I forget his name) that posted a written response that stated it was the chamber size that was the distinction and thereby only the 22 LR was legal after sunset + half hour to midnight ("chambered to take ammunition larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire, and pistols and revolvers chambered to take ammunition larger than .38 caliber").
Personally I would document the info you were given and go with it as it is the more humane and safer route. I believe the 17 hmr while not as humane as a larger cal will break up more readily and is less apt to ricochet than the slower 22lr, but we've all been over this. Shame it's not simpler, better thought-out.

Last edited:
Going out for my first coyote today! I'm pretty excited, but the reality of the situation is that I will most likely just be walking around in the woods freezing my arse off all day [smile] Either way I'm excited, looking for my first pelt!

A buddy and I had a coyote pup come into our turkey decoy last year and neither of us took the shot. Once it got really close it realized something was wrong and turned tail. Now we both have told each other that we should have taken the shot, all the things you don't expect to see.

If it was in MA during the spring season, it would have been illegal to shoot it. Doesn't matter to me with their numbers, you just have to know the law and who may be in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong. Page 38 of the official guidance in pdf form online says 500 square inches (vest and hat).

I would play it safe and wear orange if going out for only coyote during muzzle loader.

Hunter orange regs in MA:

500 inches when hunting deer by any means during shotgun or muzzleloader seasons.

Hat on public lands during pheasant and quail seasons.

There is a little more to it, but it is in the abstracts.

If you are talking MA law, this is incorrect. I posted correspondence I had last year with headquarters. .17 is not legal at night. Handgun capable of .357 also not legal at night.

That's an example of the lack of understanding even DFW has of their own regs. See pupchow's post. There was a gentleman here (sorry I forget his name) that posted a written response that stated it was the chamber size that was the distinction and thereby only the 22 LR was legal after sunset + half hour to midnight ("chambered to take ammunition larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire, and pistols and revolvers chambered to take ammunition larger than .38 caliber").
Personally I would document the info you were given and go with it as it is the more humane and safer route. I believe the 17 hmr while not as humane as a larger cal will break up more readily and is less apt to ricochet than the slower 22lr, but we've all been over this. Shame it's not simpler, better thought-out.

That must have been me, lol. Posted response before finishing the rest of the thread.

Going out for my first coyote today! I'm pretty excited, but the reality of the situation is that I will most likely just be walking around in the woods freezing my arse off all day [smile] Either way I'm excited, looking for my first pelt!

Good luck out there!

I've yet to see a coyote in the field (seen plenty of them while driving), but have seen fox & bobcat.

Stopped in @ Cabela's to see what they had for e-callers. Stacks of FoxPro Spitfires, no Wildfire II. I grabbed the lone Shockwave that was sitting on the shelf. The remote is very to read/use, and the FoxCast option seems pretty sweet. I'm going to try some early evening sets for bobcat (daytime hunting only allowed) and fox, using the caller and a wounded woodpecker decoy. Monday I'll be heading out to some larger areas to see if I can't call in some daytime coyotes.

Good luck out there!

I've yet to see a coyote in the field (seen plenty of them while driving), but have seen fox & bobcat.

Stopped in @ Cabela's to see what they had for e-callers. Stacks of FoxPro Spitfires, no Wildfire II. I grabbed the lone Shockwave that was sitting on the shelf. The remote is very to read/use, and the FoxCast option seems pretty sweet. I'm going to try some early evening sets for bobcat (daytime hunting only allowed) and fox, using the caller and a wounded woodpecker decoy. Monday I'll be heading out to some larger areas to see if I can't call in some daytime coyotes.

I've made about 50 blank stands during the daylight hours this year with my shockwave all over central and western MA, the best I've done during the day so far was at like 4:30pm right at dusk & I got two yotes to charge the caller deep in the woods in the Berkshires but it was pitch dark by the time they were down. I saw two others during deer season right at first light but passed. I may quit wasting my time and educating and switch to all night hunting for the rest of the season which has been 10X more productive for me, we just need some more snow so you can actually see something.

I've tracked around ALOT this year for bobcat while the snow was down and I couldn't come across any sign, just have to stay out there and keep trying I guess. I ran the shockwave with the decoy in some good areas that looked like they may hold cats but nothing revealed itself.

I've made about 50 blank stands during the daylight hours this year with my shockwave all over central and western MA, the best I've done during the day so far was at like 4:30pm right at dusk & I got two yotes to charge the caller deep in the woods in the Berkshires but it was pitch dark by the time they were down. I saw two others during deer season right at first light but passed. I may quit wasting my time and educating and switch to all night hunting for the rest of the season which has been 10X more productive for me, we just need some more snow so you can actually see something.

I've tracked around ALOT this year for bobcat while the snow was down and I couldn't come across any sign, just have to stay out there and keep trying I guess. I ran the shockwave with the decoy in some good areas that looked like they may hold cats but nothing revealed itself.

We've got a few inches of snow cover, and I still couldn't see much after dusk last evening. Even with the waxing moon coming up early. I may just grab one of those Gen I NV scopes, as any shot for me would be under 50 yards.

I need to get a .22 so I can cap some yotes at night. Has anyone here had luck during the day?

I just had one come into a call @ 3:30 this afternoon.

Yesterday, with a weather system forecasted to move in, I planned to get out of work an hour early in hopes of finding some animal activity. Once in the woods this afternoon, I found some fresh coyote tracks in the freshly fallen snow. Not the cat tracks I was seeking, but it was still encouraging to find. The coyote came in within 10 minutes of calling, and came in fast. I didn't get my gun up in time though, and got no shot. This is in very thick cover, where the longest shot would be 35 yards. This was my first coyote called in, and I learned a couple of things to do differently during my next stand. This is nothing like deer hunting, that's for sure!

Yesterday, with a weather system forecasted to move in, I planned to get out of work an hour early in hopes of finding some animal activity. Once in the woods this afternoon, I found some fresh coyote tracks in the freshly fallen snow. Not the cat tracks I was seeking, but it was still encouraging to find. The coyote came in within 10 minutes of calling, and came in fast. I didn't get my gun up in time though, and got no shot. This is in very thick cover, where the longest shot would be 35 yards. This was my first coyote called in, and I learned a couple of things to do differently during my next stand. This is nothing like deer hunting, that's for sure!
Encouraging to hear! I've never been coyote hunting and it sounds like you need to really stay vigilant if they are in and out so quick... especially in a wooded area. I'm looking forward to my first hunt, though!

I was not successful on my first hunt at night. Was out there until I lost feeling in my toes using my caller. Full moon is this week actually so I'm hoping I can sneak out a couple times if the clouds hold off. I think I want to upgrade to an electronic caller asap. Anyone have any specific recommendations that won't break the bank?

I was not successful on my first hunt at night. Was out there until I lost feeling in my toes using my caller. Full moon is this week actually so I'm hoping I can sneak out a couple times if the clouds hold off. I think I want to upgrade to an electronic caller asap. Anyone have any specific recommendations that won't break the bank?

Here's some reference material:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2013/01/gear-review-predator-call

I'm new to this, and was looking to pickup a FoxPro Wildfire II, but ended up with the FoxPro Shockwave (Cabela's didn't have much of a selection on the shelf). I did see that the local D*ck's Sporting Goods had the Primos Alpha Dogg in stock.

While the Shockwave is extremely feature rich, and the remote is very slick to use, its price is out of the park. The volume level it can produce is tremendous, but I don't see myself using but maybe half of its capability. The remote does have some good range though, and that was one of my primary concerns. And now that I've used it, I'll probably pick up one of their Foxgrip accessories to go with, and one of their add-on decoys.

FoxPro has a great reputation for customer support, and they're very active in the field. The have a large sound library available for download, and a nice collection of free sounds.

It sure makes calling a lot easier when you see fresh tracks.

Went out yesterday with my EBW and a new FoxPro Spitfire. First time using the FoxPro had good range and volume. I had yotes answer after the first calling session probably a 100+ yards behind were I was set up. Never saw them if they came any closer, waited about 45 minutes and moved to another position on the other side of the swamp (ice was thick and quite). Made a couple more sets but never heard anything the rest of the morning. I am happy still being out in the woods and doing some more hunting than anything else.

Dusted off the winter camo today, and went out this afternoon. And got blanked. 4" of fresh covering the ground is nice, but by dusk I couldn't see the gun's sights. I used a plastic bag to cover the caller, which required bumping the sound level up. Otherwise, it sounded fine.

At least we'll have some white on the ground for the upcoming deep freeze. I'm going to try my luck at setting up a bait site, by deploying a baitcicle. I'll probably just set up a cam on it for a while to see how it plays out.

Check it: http://www.military.com/entertainment/outdoor-guide/predator/predator-baiting-the-next-level.html

Went coyote hunting for the first time on Friday. Learned that an 870 Wingmaster isn't good for the woods... [shocked]

So I'm going to buy a Saiga IZ240. Would that be Mass-ok? I can use a .229 centerfire or smaller in RI during spring and summer on private land, and I think it'd be ok for Mass's coyote season.

My dad wants a bolt action - I told him about the Savage Axis. Any other ideas? Calibers?

I also have to get some camo.

The coyotes you see in Mass. are coy wolves. The western coyote has bred with the eastern gray wolf over the past 100 years. There is a PBS program on this Wednesday night.

I have seen some that are at least 70 pounds, about the size of a large German Shepard.

One of the most wily and cunning animals in the forest.

Back
Top Bottom