• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote hunting

This year I've been too busy to scout for deer, set up stands or anything. Though coyote hunting I can do spur of the moment. Grab my electronic callers and my rifle and go. I don't know when the season is in MA, but in NH it's all year long. I try not to go during deer firearm season as there are a large number of hunter out there and my electronic caller would disturb their deer hunting. I like to wait until after firearm season. I know archery goes until 15 December and firearm ends a week earlier. I figure there are far fewer archery hunters out there than firearm. What are your thoughts on this? When do you start hunting Wiley Coyote?

I really like it. I live in ma and the only time during the season you cant have your rifle with you is during the shotgun deer season. Before and after its wide open. Shot a few the last couple years. Just tried out night hunting last year. Thats a little different

I've seen a couple so far while bow hunting but haven't gotten a shot on one. Depending where you hunt it would probably be better to wait till the end of rifle season.

just arrowed a nice coyote yesterday, great story to go w it, ill write it up later on, but here's a quick pic of the nasty yote!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386193720795.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386193720795.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 365
just arrowed a nice coyote yesterday, great story to go w it, ill write it up later on, but here's a quick pic of the nasty yote!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
How far did he go after hit?

If anyone has any good spots I have a few Foxpro game callers. I'd love to get out in a couple of weeks.

I hit him right behind the shoulder, and he went down in 25 yards.

I hunt a few local farms, but its so hit or miss getting them to respond, I think any big chunk of woods would be fine. just call for 10 - 20 minutes and if no response, I would just move and try again down the road.

one suggestion a Guy told me last season was to hunt on the local trash day, cuz the coyotes will be drawn to the area anyway.

I've been out really early the last two days and haven't so much as heard any coyotes out and about... rather disappointed to tell you the truth, lol

I seldom see them but hear them every5-7 days. My neighbor has open fields and gets a visual more than most at his fruit farm.

Oh I'm out deer hunting, so I guess I should be happy I haven't seen them around. I just wouldn't mind chalkin one up, lol

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Hunting coyotes you say? This sounds like a hobby I could get into.. LOL

204yote_zpsb6f77ebe.jpg

I just use a little plastic mouth call, but the other day when i saw them, i just made a whistling noise like an animal in distress w my mouth and they came right over.

PS, if they see any movement from you, ie moving a gun or drawing a bow, you are all done, they will be gone in a split second.

Good luck

I just use a little plastic mouth call, but the other day when i saw them, i just made a whistling noise like an animal in distress w my mouth and they came right over.

PS, if they see any movement from you, ie moving a gun or drawing a bow, you are all done, they will be gone in a split second.

Good luck

All true. The reasons I like the remote call is I can adjust the sound and volume from my hide. The wiggle decoy also made by FoxPro keeps there eyes on that movement well away from my hide. I am also one who like to get them as far away as possible. The 300+ yard shots are the best... I did the mouth calls for many years but now that I have gone electric I hope I never have to go back to them I keep a squeaker on a lanyard with the remotes though just in case I need it.

All true. The reasons I like the remote call is I can adjust the sound and volume from my hide. The wiggle decoy also made by FoxPro keeps there eyes on that movement well away from my hide. I am also one who like to get them as far away as possible. The 300+ yard shots are the best... I did the mouth calls for many years but now that I have gone electric I hope I never have to go back to them I keep a squeaker on a lanyard with the remotes though just in case I need it.

how is the sound quality on that new fox pro? I've used an older electric call and it didn't sound realistic to me, so I stuck w the mouth call. (plus the fox pro isn't cheap!)

Dumb question.. what do you do with them when you shoot 'em? Coat/pelt? Stew? Toss them in a liberal neighbor's swimming pool?

u can sell pelt if u find a taxidermist or pelt Guy that is interested, u can get it mounted if u like, I've never heard of anyone eating one, and u definitely wont want to eat it once u smell how nasty they are. they are the rankest, stinkingest critters in the woods.

u can sell pelt if u find a taxidermist or pelt Guy that is interested, u can get it mounted if u like, I've never heard of anyone eating one, and u definitely wont want to eat it once u smell how nasty they are. they are the rankest, stinkingest critters in the woods.

Well, I've eaten crawfish, catfish, raccoon, eel, octopus, and pu**y... so that can all be relative. [laugh]

I know a guy in Maine that makes stew from the hindquarters. To me if you have to stew it with a ton of other ingredients to mask the flavor of the meat, then the meat isn't worth eating.

how is the sound quality on that new fox pro? I've used an older electric call and it didn't sound realistic to me, so I stuck w the mouth call. (plus the fox pro isn't cheap!)

It sounds GREAT and calls in em. I have used it for yotes and allot of crows. As for use. Winter we sell the pelts summer we are just thinning the heard..

I have been wanting to get into coyote hunting for a while. Anyone want to show a rookie the ropes? I was thinking Myles Standish after whitetail season ends. There are some decent clearings there and I don't see anyone giving you a hard time since you're helping clear out these animals near their campground. I have been hunting whitetails for 3 years and understand the importance of stillness, quietness and scent control.

Back
Top Bottom