Coyote hunting

Yea, I'm kinda getting in that boat. I normally don't do the "kill for the hell of it" shooting, but I would actually consider learning to hunt them.

Same here, but after seeing multiple and i mean multiple, all hours of the day and several times a day on my camera and now NO deer where there used to be a plethora, this might be my rookie season as well. Plus the brazen little f'ers are damn close to the house on a regular basis.

Yote hunting 101. Cover all you're skin, move SLOW and quiet and keep you're eyes open. We have PLENTY of yotes up here come get em..

I've been hunting them for about a year now, and only have gotten two. Don't get discouraged, they are probably the hardest thing in New England to hunt, and they learn from their mistakes. They are desecrating the deer on a property I hunt, and standing orders are shoot on site.

I recently joined a predator forum and have learned a lot from the "old timers" there.

If anyone wants to get together after deer season is over to blast away, I'm definitely down. I want to learn how to tan their pelts... know some Natives who'll make some neat stuff. Might as well get some good use out of their skins.

Don't get discouraged, they are probably the hardest thing in New England to hunt, and they learn from their mistakes.

yup, it ain't like TV, u gotta call and call and keep trying different spots over and over, but it is a cool hunt when u finally get them coming in!

My plan is to get out next weekend and all the deer hunters have packed it up for a year. This week I'll be checking the game callers to make sure they're in good working order.

Woke up this morning to some very large tracks in the snow, my neighbor said he seen what he called a wolf at five this morning walking around, would have loved to have seen that, most likely a coyote but even still.

Tim

A buddy and I had a coyote pup come into our turkey decoy last year and neither of us took the shot. Once it got really close it realized something was wrong and turned tail. Now we both have told each other that we should have taken the shot, all the things you don't expect to see.

I had two nice yotes run by me in the woods Saturday,(one was a nice black) I tried calling but no luck,
I realized a few minutes later that 2 hunters were coming my way and had bumped them to me. the hunters were trying to sneak up on me and my calling, and didn't seem happy to see me when I waved. (I found out later from the landowners that they were trespassing)
its always good to see a yote though, ill be back maybe tomorrow?? :)

NO. orange is only required during shotgun deer season.
Wrong. Page 38 of the official guidance in pdf form online says 500 square inches (vest and hat).

I would play it safe and wear orange if going out for only coyote during muzzle loader.

Last edited:
Wrong. Page 38 of the official guidance in pdf form online says 500 square inches (vest and hat).

I would play it safe and wear orange if going out for only coyote during muzzle loader.
If you're not hunting deer you only need to wear orange during shotgun deer season. Anybody not hunting deer is good to go without orange during muzzleloader season

This is the way I've always understood it as well.

I have been wanting to get into coyote hunting for a while. Anyone want to show a rookie the ropes? I was thinking Myles Standish after whitetail season ends. There are some decent clearings there and I don't see anyone giving you a hard time since you're helping clear out these animals near their campground. I have been hunting whitetails for 3 years and understand the importance of stillness, quietness and scent control.[/QUOTE

my club is going to have its 3rd annual coyote hunt in feb 2014. my club is in my signature line. if you check the website it still has info from this years hunt listed so that people can see what is going on there. i believe the coyotes can be shot anywhere in ma. there is an entry fee to be in the hunt. the proceeds go to the soldiers home in leeds ma and the uso.

bob

I've got one on the way, should be here in a week or so. Will be using it for Coyotes in RI....if i can find some ammo without getting screwed on gunbroker.

C&F GUNS IN Middleboro,Ma.(508-946-4867) has Winchester 17WSM in both 20 gr. and 25gr. Both are $17.41 per box. The 20 gr. Muzzle velocity = 3000fps., 200 yds. = 2058. Wind drift = 1.7"at 100 yds. and 7.3"at 200 yds.
My concern is weather or not this is enough bullet. In Ma. we can use any caliber until sundown and 22 long rifle or smaller after sundown. Dumb!!!!!!!!!
I bought the savage 17 wsm. I believe that it's the only rifle available in this caliber at this time. The bolt action on the rifle sucks, since the last part of the bolt function also cocks the rifle. If your not careful the bolt will not cock the rifle as designed and you will waste time doing it all over again as the coyote/coyote's runs off. I want a semi auto or a rifle that doesn't cock via the bolt. I haven't got this this rifle sighted in yet, but test drove it just a little bit last weekend.

C&F GUNS IN Middleboro,Ma.(508-946-4867) has Winchester 17WSM in both 20 gr. and 25gr. Both are $17.41 per box. The 20 gr. Muzzle velocity = 3000fps., 200 yds. = 2058. Wind drift = 1.7"at 100 yds. and 7.3"at 200 yds.
My concern is weather or not this is enough bullet. In Ma. we can use any caliber until sundown and 22 long rifle or smaller after sundown. Dumb!!!!!!!!!
I bought the savage 17 wsm. I believe that it's the only rifle available in this caliber at this time. The bolt action on the rifle sucks, since the last part of the bolt function also cocks the rifle. If your not careful the bolt will not cock the rifle as designed and you will waste time doing it all over again as the coyote/coyote's runs off. I want a semi auto or a rifle that doesn't cock via the bolt. I haven't got this this rifle sighted in yet, but test drove it just a little bit last weekend.

Thanks for the tip...but I'm in RI so i don't have an FID, and i can't find the stuff anywhere. It sucks!

In RI we are limited to .22 Rimfire or smaller from 9/30-4/1, and up to .229 Centerfire during the off season. My only options to hunt Coyotes on public land, with the exception of a couple weeks of overlap when i can use my .223, are stuff like the .17 WSM, HMR, or a 22 mag.

I'm a big Savage fan, but i don't like anything about the B.MAG. I bought one only for the cartridge it shoots, the gun itself does nothing for me.

I'm also a little unsure about Coyote with a 20gr bullet, i guess i'll have to try it and see how it is.

Back
Top Bottom