Coyote hunting

The coyotes you see in Mass. are coy wolves. The western coyote has bred with the eastern gray wolf over the past 100 years. There is a PBS program on this Wednesday night.

I have seen some that are at least 70 pounds, about the size of a large German Shepard.

One of the most wily and cunning animals in the forest.

...and they all must die!!

I have seen some that are at least 70 pounds, about the size of a large German Shepard.

One of the most wily and cunning animals in the forest.

How much you think this bad boy weighed?

Here's how much:
2pbn.jpg
[/URL]]

(hint, I dont buy into that 70lb coyote talk)

The more of them that you kill, the reproduction traits change. Litters get bigger.

It is unlikely that these animals will be eliminated from New England.

There are the apex species foe adaptability.

Who said eliminate. I just want to reduce their numbers by oh, half would be cool...

I don't have any problem with them. I actually consider them to be of benefit to most of us. Deer are the scourge of this area. They carry Lyme disease and wreak havoc on suburban yards. Having enough coyotes around to keep the deer population in check is a benefit.

I have packs of 5 or so on a regular basis.

They are a lot bigger than the western coyote.

The TV show about them is on tonight at 8.

I don't have any problem with them. I actually consider them to be of benefit to most of us. Deer are the scourge of this area. They carry Lyme disease and wreak havoc on suburban yards. Having enough deer hunters around to keep the deer population in check is a benefit.

FIFY...

Also deer do NOT carry Lyme - ticks do. Ticks do not get Lyme from deer - they get it from field mice which they feed on as nymphs. Deer are unfortunate victims of the tick - just as we are. It is true that deer are the primary food source for the deer tick though... That helps the tick propagate. But coyote are just as tasty to a tick as a deer is.... So don't think trading one population for another helps in that area...

Indeed they may be....they just arnt 70lbs. Rarely over 50lb

Just put a arrow through one about 20 minutes ago[smile]. Nice blood trail leading off into the woods. If I can recover tonight I'll post a weight and some pics if my dumb ass can figure out how to do that.

Just put a arrow through one about 20 minutes ago[smile]. Nice blood trail leading off into the woods. If I can recover tonight I'll post a weight and some pics if my dumb ass can figure out how to do that.
I, for one, am eagerly awaiting some pics. Seems like not many on this thread have had luck so far... glad to see it turned around a little.

I, for one, am eagerly awaiting some pics. Seems like not many on this thread have had luck so far... glad to see it turned around a little.

I'm trying... Went out last night, and couldn't see much in the woods once darkness fell. Snow covered ground, clear skies (and frigid temps), but no moonlight to see by. I had been out Tuesday morning, and there's plenty of moonlight to get setup early by. I did find two sets of fresh coyote tracks, following three sets of deer tracks. It looks like they're ranging easily as far as 3 miles. I found some spots where it looks like the coyotes tore up the ground where the deer had been feeding, and the coyotes left their calling card at those sites.

Ive heard many claim that. Yet to see any sort of proof though.
Record coyote is what, 76 pounds? You'd think if you were even close to sniffing that record, you'd take a picture of the damn thing. Hell, if I downed a 70-pound coyote, that thing would be shoulder mounted on my wall.

Record coyote is what, 76 pounds? You'd think if you were even close to sniffing that record, you'd take a picture of the damn thing. Hell, if I downed a 70-pound coyote, that thing would be shoulder mounted on my wall.

Even with the record, its hard to find any meaningful info on it beside the usual "official weigh in" talk. I have had a hard time finding any legit links or documented proof of 70lb'ers.

+1 for full body mount
lol... I would do a full body mount, but I've never seen one that I liked. The coyotes always seem too awkward in them. I know they don't weigh a ton, but the mounts always make them look like they weigh about 3 ounces the way they have their feet set. I dunno, maybe I'm just picky.

I know this has been hashed over,,,, but at night, in Mass, a 30 herret contender? It is a smaller chamber than 38 caliber. I asked this to a warden at a hunter safety course a few years ago and he said it was okay but,,,,, I don't want to be that guy.

Last edited:

Whatever. Douche.

The bigger issue is Lyme disease. And people who spend time outside are more likely to get it.

A certain population of coyotes is a good thing.

- - - Updated - - -

FIFY...

Also deer do NOT carry Lyme - ticks do. Ticks do not get Lyme from deer - they get it from field mice which they feed on as nymphs. Deer are unfortunate victims of the tick - just as we are. It is true that deer are the primary food source for the deer tick though... That helps the tick propagate. But coyote are just as tasty to a tick as a deer is.... So don't think trading one population for another helps in that area...

I spent 20 years hunting in and around LYME CT. My vet is one of the top researchers on lyme disease in the country.

Steven A. Levy, VMD. "Tick Biology and Tick-borne Diseases for the
Small Animal Practitioner AND Canine Lyme Disease."

Steven A. Levy, VMD and David Dreesen, DVM. "Lyme Borreliosis in Dogs."

I'm not nearly as smart as he is, but I am smart enough to listen to him. He told me that when deer population reaches a certain density, the incidence of lyme disease among the deer begins to rise exponentially.

There is a very definite causation between deer density and human lyme infection.

A population of a few coyotes will eat dozens of deer in the course of a year. So in the presence of coyotes, you will have much fewer deer in an area. Even if you count the coyotes towards the population of vector carrying animals, there will be fewer total animals around with coyotes in the picture.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom