• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote Hunting MA

Seeing LOTS of tracks now, but from the past week. There is coyote and two different (grey and red) foxes. Also either a bobcat or a fisher cat. Again, all frozen tracks, too old to follow.

But, you DO get an idea of the general traffic patterns now.

Brian Downs, quoted in the article, ran a free workshop on coyote hunting at Bass Pro on Saturday. Went with the girlfriend and had a great time. He shared great info on calling, setups and weapons. Worth checking out as he seems to run one every year around the same time.

Was out today looking for some shotgun shells. Struck out at Dicks in Saugus and Collector's Gallery (great shop though!). Anyone know where to find 3" BB lead loads in central mass?

Last edited:
Re: BB lead
I couldn't find any at the places I checked west of Worcester. Ended up ordering that overpriced Hevi-shot stuff. At least it patterned well on the first try.

Re: BB lead
I couldn't find any at the places I checked west of Worcester. Ended up ordering that overpriced Hevi-shot stuff. At least it patterned well on the first try.

If it's the dead coyote T shot you got you won't be disappointed, worth every penny. Carries it's energy WAY further than any other shot, you'll see if you make a kill with it.

I'm surprised your weren't able to find any of the Hornady heavy magnum coyote BB nickel plated shot, seems to be everywhere in western MA. It's around $15.00/10 rounds.

If it's the dead coyote T shot you got you won't be disappointed, worth every penny. Carries it's energy WAY further than any other shot, you'll see if you make a kill with it.

I'm surprised your weren't able to find any of the Hornady heavy magnum coyote BB nickel plated shot, seems to be everywhere in western MA. It's around $15.00/10 rounds.

Yep, T shot. I'll have to keep that Hornady in mind next time around. As it is, this box of Hevi is lasting me a looonng time.

==========================

re: Baitcicle

The dogs are hitting it at about 9pm, and hang there for a couple of hours. Then, some brief activity within an hour of first light. Going to be tough to capitalize on that, without any moonlight. Looks like the earliest chance will be during next week, when the moon rises early in the morning.

Howdy, I'm looking into getting this years Sporting License and getting into coyote hunting.

I was perusing the regs online here. I'm unsure on the following quote/law and need clarification/simplifying:

Shotgun ammunition: except as provided below, no species other than deer, coyote, or waterfowl may be hunted or taken with shot larger than #1 birdshot. Except during the prescribed open season when deer may be hunted lawfully with a shotgun, a person shall not have in his possession a shotgun shell loaded with a rifled slug, single ball, buckshot of any size, or any shot larger than or equal to air rifle shot in any place where birds or mammals may be found except on a skeet, trap, or target range between sunrise and sunset, or except for the hunting of coyotes (a) during the prescribed open season for coyotes with shot not larger than FF; or (b) during the shotgun deer season when coyotes may be hunted only with archery, muzzleloader, or shotgun—using slugs, buckshot, or shot of any size; or, except as specified in the annual Migratory Game Bird Hunting Regulations.

Am I correct in believing that it would be legal to coyote hunt with say #4 Buckshot or even 00 Buck or Rifled Slugs during any season? That's what the blue outlined section means to me.

But the section in red throws me off, does that place a restriction to shot no larger than FF during the prescribed season outside of Shotgun Deer season?

I plan on hunting with a Mossberg 500 28" barrel with X-Full choke, what would y'all recommend for a load?

Anyone have experience daytime coyote hunting with an SKS?

Thanks!

In effect, you can co-hunt coyote during shotgun season for deer, and use ammo permitted for the taking of deer, during that season only. You cannot use that ammo outside of deer shotgun season. So, "during the prescribed open season for coyotes with shot not larger than FF" is what you want outside of shotgun season for deer.

Plain language summary here: http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/df...ang-sum/hunting-of-fox-coyote-and-bobcat.html

I patterned Hevishot Dead Coyote, and got a better pattern with a modified choke tube, vs. full.

Howdy, I'm looking into getting this years Sporting License and getting into coyote hunting.

I was perusing the regs online here. I'm unsure on the following quote/law and need clarification/simplifying:

Am I correct in believing that it would be legal to coyote hunt with say #4 Buckshot or even 00 Buck or Rifled Slugs during any season? That's what the blue outlined section means to me.

But the section in red throws me off, does that place a restriction to shot no larger than FF during the prescribed season outside of Shotgun Deer season?

I plan on hunting with a Mossberg 500 28" barrel with X-Full choke, what would y'all recommend for a load?

Anyone have experience daytime coyote hunting with an SKS?

Thanks!

Last edited:
In effect, you can co-hunt coyote during shotgun season for deer, and use ammo permitted for the taking of deer, during that season only. You cannot use that ammo outside of deer shotgun season. So, "during the prescribed open season for coyotes with shot not larger than FF" is what you want outside of shotgun season for deer.

Plain language summary here: http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/df...ang-sum/hunting-of-fox-coyote-and-bobcat.html

I patterned Hevishot Dead Coyote, and got a better pattern with a modified choke tube, vs. full.

Thanks for the clarification, that's what I was sort of leaning towards!

Hmm, I'll see if I can procure some Hevishot Deadcoyote and test it between my Mossberg 500 with the x-full choke and my Remington 1100 with a Modified.

Made an attempt to use that slight bit of waxing moon last evening, but gave up. The Bushnell scope just wasn't capable of gathering enough light. Sneaking back out of the darkened woods, I jumped a couple of moose. I stopped, they stopped. I moved, they crashed through the darkness around me, as near as 15 yards. That got the blood pumping.

Made an attempt to use that slight bit of waxing moon last evening, but gave up. The Bushnell scope just wasn't capable of gathering enough light. Sneaking back out of the darkened woods, I jumped a couple of moose. I stopped, they stopped. I moved, they crashed through the darkness around me, as near as 15 yards. That got the blood pumping.

Was that a scoped .22 or a scoped shotgun? At .22 and shotgun distances, open sights might be better.

This snow should help tonight.

Was that a scoped .22 or a scoped shotgun? At .22 and shotgun distances, open sights might be better.

This snow should help tonight.

Scoped .22. I've been trying everything I've got on hand, to see what might work. The Bushnell is a POS, as far as low light use goes. I've got a Nikon (currently mounted on my ML) which passes a lot more light.

The TRS-25 red dot sight I've experimented with works well while using a both eyes open approach, but the dot is just too bright for low light use. If the intensity could be dialed down lower, it'd be okay for close in. Having both eyes open allows a full FOV.

THAT is the trouble. They are all over in the neighborhoods, but there is like a 60 foot circle here and there which actually is "legal" to shoot from. Get out to wooded areas, and slim pickings on coyotes.

Got a hall pass for this afternoon. Heading out.
I agree, imagine what we'd see if we just did some calling near those non huntable areas.

Got a hall pass for this afternoon. Heading out.
I agree, imagine what we'd see if we just did some calling near those non huntable areas.

The trouble is, with human daytime activity, they just lay low. I think there are a lot of dens under sheds and old cars and campers out back, that sort of thing. They'll just hang out until dark, then go on the prowl. If you could organize a drive, and have some good archers at the receiving end, that might be fun.

Busted this AM. First stand. 10 minutes in, I hear something breaking through the snow crust behind me, quickly. And then, nothing. Sure enough, paw prints within 15' of me. I guessed wrong on possible approach routes. Another fun lesson! Second stand, had a hawk make a few passes over the Mojo Critter. That was all.

I made an attempt for a pre-storm stand tonight. By 6:08pm, I couldn't see shit. I did find signs of a bobcat in heat, pissing & bleeding all over my trails.

Got out after the storm and found little sign of pawed activity. Lots of bird activity though. Tried again last evening, but the snow started falling again, and visibilty became too limited. I did come face to face with a barred owl, which was taking refuge in a hemlock tree. After staring at me, waiting to get his picture taken, he grew impatient and flew off. Clear skies tonight, and quite a cold snap on the way. Going to grab one of those hot seats today.

Looking for BB shotshells? Move out of the hunting ammo aisle, and go one over.

Edit - was going to suggest Remington "Ultimate Home Defense" shells. 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz shells loaded with size BB non-lead pellets.

Now having a hard time finding it listed on-line. I do have a couple boxes, which I'm now going to hoard.

Last edited:
I got nothing. No tracks, no howls, and no visits to the baitcicle, since the dumping of snow. Killed the batteries in the FoxPro today calling crows in, after giving up on predators. Got one murder stirred up into a frenzy but they wouldn't descend to the decoys. Tried the hawk/crows fight call, and a red tailed hawk roosted in a tree overhead. I almost wish it would rain.

Same here. Hunted Cranes pheasant area. Just got back. They've taken out so many trees its unbelievable. Moved the field trial canopy.

Saw and heard zip. My worst season yet but still love it.

map_specnewsdct-92_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

Snowshoes, and locating calls. That's my plan for next week.

It is brutal out there. Fox a yote tracks all over my yard saterday morning. Went out back and made three stands but no love. This drives me nuts because the yotes are all over my cams all the time and prints are everywhere but whenever i try to hunt them i see nothing.

It is brutal out there. Fox a yote tracks all over my yard saterday morning. Went out back and made three stands but no love. This drives me nuts because the yotes are all over my cams all the time and prints are everywhere but whenever i try to hunt them i see nothing.

In my brief experience, I've come to find that they can easily get within 10 yards of me, undetected. I've been able to hear them sniff the wind, they were so close. I know I've got to work on my setups, to gain more distance. Tough to do in thick cover. But with this heavy snow cover, I'm not getting any clues lately.

Back
Top Bottom