• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote Hunting MA

anyone from Bristol county MA going for small game hunting this year and want to have 2 noobies '' me and my wife '' tagging along? We're going to do hunter course next month and dying to go

I guess the seasons done. I was out yesterday as the snow started and except for snowmobile tracks, there's no way for them to move around.

Last edited:
I heard them last night behind the house.
Just like on the Hunting thread, I don't know how deer and coyote are going to do with this weather. Truly amazing that they can survive in this.

My wife managed to take a trek out with snowshoes, with the dogs, yesterday. Now that they've broken trail, I'm going to have to give it a shot. At least to grab the SD card, anyway.

Just got back from grabbing the SD card, and checking the baitcicle to leave a small offering. They're back. Well, at least one is. But, no pics! The baitcicle was completely unburied but the camera was buried in snow. On a couple of pics from Monday morning, there was some sort of blob visible through through the snow. Other than that, dead since the big dump of snow. Looks like the coyote hitting it took a very direct route to it, and back. So, some signs of movement. It was about a 3/4 mile round trip on snowshoes, and it was a workout.

The slacking continues, as I've been working instead of breaking trail for the past week. And the baitcicle has seen nothing but crows for visitors, for the past week. The snow still hasn't firmed up any, and is thigh deep. Maybe I'll target those crows that have been following me around...

And, he's back....

View attachment 129412

I figured, since there were crows there every morning, I'd give that a try. Nope, not this morning. Called some in but they would only pass by out of reach. Pulled the SD card, and Wile E. made his return appearance at 11pm, then returned around 4am. The last pic of him was 19 minutes before I got there this morning. He'd walked in my tracks. I'll lay out some more morsels, and try sitting over it tonight. But damn, it's cold out there.

Game over, man. Just pulled the camera down. This inches-thick crust of ice pellets, over feet of pow, is nearly impossible to make way through. I'd thought about heading out early tomorrow to make a stand in a different spot, but not after this experience. The card shows nothing but crows & squirrels for the past few days, but I did see one set of recent four-legged critter tracks. Likely those of a bobcat.

I might try one last stand tomorrow evening, using my tracked up trails. But after that, it's Crow season, through April 10.

Can you please translate?

There's about 3' of powder snow covering the ground. The recent sleet event, combined with yesterday's warm temps, and today's cold temps, have formed a heavy duty crust over the top of the powder-type snow. With each step, the thigh or shin hits the edge of the hard crust, as the foot searches to find the bottom of the snow. It's a real bitch to hike in. And snowshoes don't help in this shit either.

LOL got it and kind of figured that's where you were going with it. I walked in to the woods last week so see if I could find any trails it was quite the shit show.

Anyone have any luck yet? Get a shot off? Also, are you most of you using e-calls? If so what kind? Good luck, stay safe.

No fur down or spotted. Twice busted, but spotted only their approach & exit tracks, after the fact. One day to go...

I'm using a FoxPro e-caller and a motorized decoy, but I only did one day with it this season. I did have a coyote come in on the first stand, but he came in behind me. Busted. Next year, better setup. I also sat over a bait site, but got busted when Wile E. crept through the thick cover, and winded me. Need more distance with that setup, but it's in very thick cover. Next year, better setup... And working less overtime!

Last edited:
Last day tomorrow. Going out for my final stand at day break! I'll have my game caller going at 5:30, I'll be in the Jeep keeping warm until shooting time.

Come up to NH and hunt them all year. Way MA has an actual season is beyond me. [thinking]

Agreed. I don't understand it. This year I plan to scout some areas in nh. My buddy has a camp in nh, about an hour and a half from where I am that Id like to hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't help myself. It was 11pm, last hour of the season. The skies had cleared enough to allow the moon to light up the night. I grabbed a squeeze-bulb coaxer and a small bellows call, and headed for a treestand. I settled in, and let 15 minutes of quiet time pass before I grabbed the coaxer. I attempted to mimic the cries of a panicked mouse. I guess I got too aggressive with it, as the valve popped out and disappeared into the white expanse below. Well, it's really a bit of white, in between extremely thick laurel. After slipping the non-functional coaxer back into my pocket, I exchanged it for the bellows call. I let out a few barks with it, and listened to the silent air. Then, I hear a short, quiet bark in response. The coyote must've be within 50 yards. We exchanged a few more vocalizations, back and forth. His barks didn't seem to get any nearer. Then, he let out his last response. It must've meant, "Later, sucker." Because that was how my season ended.

Was able to get another one down on saturday night around 9pm. Got a pack to howl about a half mile away, we switched positions and then used the same howl again. They responded from the area we were initially at. Some pup distress and eventually a challenge howl brought two of them in, tried to come downwind where my buddy was sitting and took one with the shotgun @ 12 yards. Looked but couldn't find the other, he pissed for a good 40 yards while running. All in all a good season and good way to end it. Ended up with a few yotes, a grey and a cat. Ready for flyfishing

question for you guys ....i see in abstracts it states 22 caliber during the day

Is this 22lr or can i use a 22Mag ?

im thinking of getting a 17hmr or 22 mag for coyotes on Grandfathers farm ....but i think a 22 mag maybe a bit better . i have held and read reviews that that 17 wsm is junk . from cracked shells to accuarcy and from holding it the quality wasnt there

so im looking at 17hmr or 22mag but wasnt sure i can use 22 mag . and i know at night it fair game to use any rifle more or less ....hell i will use my 45/70 lol

question for you guys ....i see in abstracts it states 22 caliber during the day

Is this 22lr or can i use a 22Mag ?

im thinking of getting a 17hmr or 22 mag for coyotes on Grandfathers farm ....but i think a 22 mag maybe a bit better . i have held and read reviews that that 17 wsm is junk . from cracked shells to accuarcy and from holding it the quality wasnt there

so im looking at 17hmr or 22mag but wasnt sure i can use 22 mag . and i know at night it fair game to use any rifle more or less ....hell i will use my 45/70 lol
The .22LR restriction applies to hunting during the night. No daytime restrictions, other than shotgun shot size.

" Coyote and fox may be hunted with shotguns, muzzleloaders, and archery, as well as rifles and handguns with special nighttime restrictions (see page 32). Coyotes may be hunted with shotguns using numbered or lettered birdshot (≤ 0.230 inch pellet diameter; up to FF), except during the shotgun deer season (see below). Fox may be hunted with numbered birdshot only (≤ 0.160 inch pellet diameter)."

Back
Top Bottom