• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote Hunting MA

Hey ya'll
I'm interested in hearing about your coyote hunting experience here in mass. Whether you hunt open fields, in a stand, what kinds of calls you use, shotgun or rifle. Total coyote noob here so any tips and tricks you've learned along the way I'm all ears. [smile]

The major lesson I learned -- be ready! On my first stand, I had a coyote come trotting into a call so quickly that my lack of preparedness left me unable to place a shot.

Someone is taking me this year to go, Im not sure who yet, But Im sure someone will step up and take me under their wing and invite me to go with them.[smile]

Ive mostly hunted over bait piles. Used a FoxPro caller some until it broke in the back of my car. As far as guns ive used my AR for most of my kills. My .22 for one at night. I like hunting at night.

I was thinking about doing some coyote hunting after the new year but I've never done it at all. I have a good idea where to go, how to call/ attract the animal. I'm confused about the firearm regulations though. Can I hunt with some type of AR? Is there a reg. limiting the # of rounds I can have loaded? This would most likely be in MA zone 10.

In MA, rifle restrictions apply only to night hunting -- nothing chambered larger than .22LR

WwcVtr8.png

BA1ERR6.png

Thanks for the advice Pup and that chart has some important info.
Hey Isaac what's your go to bait for that pile? Or do you just use whatever you have readily available?

What do you guys use for light for night hunting coyotes...i know you can't use any artificial light... use night vision scope/goggles?

minutes ago i saw a pack of 7 coyotes crossing the Methuen Rail Trail while i was there with my dog. they crossed the trail and headed into the woods behind Pep Boys and IHOP right on rte.28 in Salem, NH. i was about a half mile away but they were larger than any coyotes i'd ever seen. i'd have to guess 60+ pounds each but fading light and distance...tough to tell.

Had a pack go through my yard at 230 this morning. They were making a helluva lot of noise. Turned on the back lights and there was 3 of them standing there. Had a perfect shot with a pistol but I have no clue what the laws are for that. Can I shoot in self defense? Should I contact local PD and let them know in case they come even closer? They were only about 10 yards from my back steps.

Thats my biggest worry. I have a 13 yr old German Shep. And sometimes she needs to go out at odd hours of the night. There must have been 8 of them I saw running before I flipped the outside light on.

Did some more research on the subject.

Licensed PAC agents*may now control problem coyotes, provided the PAC agent has successfully completed a MassWildlife training and certification program specifically pertaining to coyotes. PAC agents must also follow certain reporting requirements after taking or attempting to take a coyote. This provision will become effective in 2008 when the training program is developed.This provision is only effective if the coyote in question is causing property damage or is a public health and safety threat. As with all other wildlife, coyotes may not be destroyed simply due to their mere presence on a property.In the event that a coyote is determined to be causing property damage or to be a public health or safety threat, PAC agents will have to work with municipal police departments or animal control officers to determine what course of action is safe and appropriate for the circumstances.

If it is legal to use a light at night for coyotes and hogs where you hunt here is a great deal. The sale is good thru December 3, 2014 from Cabela's. I returned the one I had that only had a green light and this one has a red AND green led lights.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=825642&highlight=

They are legal here in Georgia along with suppressors. 2 bucks and 10 does permited here also. You should move down here like I did from the Catskill Mountains.

Last edited:
No artificial light source(s) are permitted in MA, for hunting coyote. I'm sure there's a reason coyotes are excluded, but it's okay to use a light for raccoon or opossum...

+++++++++++++++++++++++

HUNTING PROHIBITIONS
• Artificial lights for hunting any bird or mammal except raccoon and opossum.

I'm going to try it this year. Hunting with one of my ARs just sounds like too much fun. Plus it's a reason to walk around in the woods - more scouting deer trails, etc. for yest year. Maybe deploy some trail cams at the same time.

Is .22 cal (night) sufficient. Seems kind of small... Maybe mini-mags... If you can find them these days.

Thats my biggest worry. I have a 13 yr old German Shep. And sometimes she needs to go out at odd hours of the night. There must have been 8 of them I saw running before I flipped the outside light on.

Get a bow and do it quietly... Make sure the bow is quiet - and make sure you're quiet.... As in if a tree falls in the woods - does it make a sound kind of quiet.

Last edited:
If it is legal to use a light at night for coyotes and hogs where you hunt here is a great deal. The sale is good thru December 3, 2014 from Cabela's. I returned the one I had that only had a green light and this one has a red AND green led lights.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=825642&highlight=

They are legal here in Georgia along with suppressors. 2 bucks and 10 does permited here also. You should move down here like I did from the Catskill Mountains.

suppressors, light at night, 10 does a year... Man Mass is so full of suck...

Gonna start this Jan.

Just finished up my hunter ed course (texas online) and am going to wait to Jan to buy a license. Figure it'll give me a month to start learning, planning and purchasing. I've never been hunting but am anxious to give it a try. Figure if I start with coyote in Jan, it'll get me out when there aren't 50 other hunters trying to a get deer and it'll get me more familiar with the land I plan on hunting. Like most, I plan on using my AR and a electric call.

I found this web page with a ton of good info including details on a homemade caller and a ton of MP3s of calls for download.

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

We live on the side of a small mountain with plenty of woods. I hear coyotes going nuts up there all summer long every night so I'm hoping their around. Can't hurt to try. I would really like a cheap game camera to set up and get a better idea but I just can't justify spending $100 on something I'm going to leave in the woods. Need to do more looking online.

I'm going to try it this year. Hunting with one of my ARs just sounds like too much fun. Plus it's a reason to walk around in the woods - more scouting deer trails, etc. for yest year. Maybe deploy some trail cams at the same time.

Is .22 cal (night) sufficient. Seems kind of small... Maybe mini-mags... If you can find them these days.
Just remember that it is shotgun deer season for the next two weeks. (Dec 1 - 13.) No rifles for coyotes unless they are black powder... shotguns and bows are OK.

Reporting question. If you're lucky enough to bag one, do you bring the entire carcass to the check in or just the skinned pelt? Everything I've ever read on the subject of pelt handling says skinning asap is the best way to go. Adding untold hours to a day or 2 (if you take one late in the day or on a Saturday) could make things a lot tougher and increase the chances of damaging a beautiful pelt.

Back
Top Bottom