Coyote Hunting MA

Well I should getting some coyote calls stuff from my daughter for Christmas so if the weather holds I will give it a try this year.

Probably be using my muzzleloader so I am not sure how that will work but my first shot better be damn good.

minutes ago i saw a pack of 7 coyotes crossing the Methuen Rail Trail while i was there with my dog. they crossed the trail and headed into the woods behind Pep Boys and IHOP right on rte.28 in Salem, NH. i was about a half mile away but they were larger than any coyotes i'd ever seen. i'd have to guess 60+ pounds each but fading light and distance...tough to tell.

see them all the time when walking my dogs by cross street they don't come out of the woods but I keep a eye on them and ya they are as big as my labs

From post #6, I see the .22 LR is the largest rifle cartridge allowed after sunset. I guess that rules out the .22 rimfire magnum.

Does anyone have any experience with the .17HMR?

From post #6, I see the .22 LR is the largest rifle cartridge allowed after sunset. I guess that rules out the .22 rimfire magnum.

Does anyone have any experience with the .17HMR?

The new .17 Winchester Super Magnum is what you want here.

Nobody should be trying to shoot a coyote with a .22 or .17HMR unless it is within maybe 40 yards and a head shot. The flip side is if you go too big (.223 or bigger), you'll blow out the back side and ruin the hide. They say .17 Remington or .204 Ruger are ideal, along with the wildcats in that range (.19 Calhoon, .20 VarTarg, .20 Practical, .17 Fireball, etc.).

Nobody should be trying to shoot a coyote with a .22 or .17HMR unless it is within maybe 40 yards and a head shot. The flip side is if you go too big (.223 or bigger), you'll blow out the back side and ruin the hide. They say .17 Remington or .204 Ruger are ideal, along with the wildcats in that range (.19 Calhoon, .20 VarTarg, .20 Practical, .17 Fireball, etc.).

.17 WSM chambering is larger than that of .22LR. So no go in MA at night.

.17 WSM chambering is larger than that of .22LR. So no go in MA at night.

Sorry, yeah. I got my paths crossed there. Stick with shotgun for night, and get one of the others mentioned for daytime. After reading up, I'm very curious about the Savage BMAG in .17 WSM. The only thing better (for me) might be the .20 Practical, if I ever decide to start reloading.

Sorry, yeah. I got my paths crossed there. Stick with shotgun for night, and get one of the others mentioned for daytime. After reading up, I'm very curious about the Savage BMAG in .17 WSM. The only thing better (for me) might be the .20 Practical, if I ever decide to start reloading.

The .17 Hornady Mach 2, or .17 HM2 is chambered the same as 22lr

The .17 Hornady Mach 2, or .17 HM2 is chambered the same as 22lr

???
The HM2 is based on the .22 stinger case and the .17HMR is based n the .22 magnum case. HM2 is very marginal for coyote and HMR is not legal for night hunting. The Bmag (rifle) shoots the .17 WSM (cartridge). The WSM is based off of a 27 caliber power fastener blank. It looks like a failure due to problems with the Savage rifles that it is chambered in:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566189

???
The HM2 is based on the .22 stinger case and the .17HMR is based n the .22 magnum case. HM2 is very marginal for coyote and HMR is not legal for night hunting. The Bmag (rifle) shoots the .17 WSM (cartridge). The WSM is based off of a 27 caliber power fastener blank. It looks like a failure due to problems with the Savage rifles that it is chambered in:

The .17 Hornady Mach 2, or .17 HM2, is a rimfire cartridge introduced in 2004 by the ammunition manufacturer Hornady, following the successful launch in 2002 of the .17 HMR. The .17 HM2 is based on the .22 Long Rifle "Stinger" case, necked down to .17 caliber (4.5 mm) and using a bullet weighing less than half what typical .22 Long Rifle bullets weigh.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.17_HM2

???

I wouldn't write it off so soon, due to a sour post or two online about a bad experience.

so i actually called the EP's today and they could not tell me if the 17hmr is legal or not for coyote's at night, they said its a very specific rule and they just didnt know. i thought it should be ok but now i'm even more confused. i saw the above post from white feather saying its not legal, but i guess I'm curious how he figured that out?

so i actually called the EP's today and they could not tell me if the 17hmr is legal or not for coyote's at night, they said its a very specific rule and they just didnt know. i thought it should be ok but now i'm even more confused. i saw the above post from white feather saying its not legal, but i guess I'm curious how he figured that out?

funny you bring this up... I was wondering the same thing a couple hours ago. From the wordage in the regulations, I would have said legal, but I too have been told otherwise.

edit: found this quick. although not definitive, its something http://www.northeasthunting.com/five-tips-for-successful-coyote-hunting/

It says the 17hmr is based on the 22 mag, which is larger than the 22lr

Last edited:
any of you guys able to post a video if I email it to you? I shot a 20 second clip of a coyote that was urinating on my lawn last Monday and I filmed it going up the sidewalk and after a squirrel up a tree. the few people I have showed do not think its a full coyote...but I have no clue. figured you guys would know better than me.

any of you guys able to post a video if I email it to you? I shot a 20 second clip of a coyote that was urinating on my lawn last Monday and I filmed it going up the sidewalk and after a squirrel up a tree. the few people I have showed do not think its a full coyote...but I have no clue. figured you guys would know better than me.

just upload it to youtube and embed it that way. unless you dont have a youtube account, then sure.

funny you bring this up... I was wondering the same thing a couple hours ago. From the wordage in the regulations, I would have said legal, but I too have been told otherwise.

edit: found this quick. although not definitive, its something http://www.northeasthunting.com/five-tips-for-successful-coyote-hunting/

It says the 17hmr is based on the 22 mag, which is larger than the 22lr

so believe it or not the EP i was dealing with called me back and confirmed 17hmr is not legal for hunting at night

I'd like to get my state rep to submit a bill making all rimfire be night legal. For that matter, I'd like to see anything .22 caliber and smaller, with case capacity of 35 or less.

???

I wouldn't write it off so soon, due to a sour post or two online about a bad experience.

You don't want a .17 WSM, unless you want a project. That's the one Savage rifle that completely sucks, and the ammo isn't much better.

I bought a BMAG last year for yotes in RI (limited to rimfire at all times, or shotgun) and I was getting 4-6 MOA at 100 yards. Nothing i did made a difference. The stock is so flimsy if you grab the butt of the rifle when its on a bipod and twist, the barrel will hit both sides of the stock.

People have reported almost no gains in accuracy with aftermarket stocks. Some people have tried bedding with mixed results.

Ammo weights are inconsistent, so even in a good rifle i'm not sure you'll ever see 1 MOA. Several people have also reported cracked necks right out of the box, so you need to check the stuff as you load your mag.

My CZ 455 Varmint in 17HMR shoots 1-1.2 MOA consistently. I'd much rather have the weaker bullet that goes where you aim it, than the more powerful bullet that will go somewhere within a 6" circle at 100 yards. I don't consider that anywhere near ethical accuracy.

You don't want a .17 WSM, unless you want a project. That's the one Savage rifle that completely sucks, and the ammo isn't much better.

I bought a BMAG last year for yotes in RI (limited to rimfire at all times, or shotgun) and I was getting 4-6 MOA at 100 yards. Nothing i did made a difference. The stock is so flimsy if you grab the butt of the rifle when its on a bipod and twist, the barrel will hit both sides of the stock.

People have reported almost no gains in accuracy with aftermarket stocks. Some people have tried bedding with mixed results.

Ammo weights are inconsistent, so even in a good rifle i'm not sure you'll ever see 1 MOA. Several people have also reported cracked necks right out of the box, so you need to check the stuff as you load your mag.

My CZ 455 Varmint in 17HMR shoots 1-1.2 MOA consistently. I'd much rather have the weaker bullet that goes where you aim it, than the more powerful bullet that will go somewhere within a 6" circle at 100 yards. I don't consider that anywhere near ethical accuracy.

This. The BMag is some form of junk toy developed by a joker. I got mine online and when it came in i promptly traded it before i shot it. The stock was flimsy and my single shot concrete nailer has a better action
I have a 200 dollar savage 17hmr with a cheap shit scope that will pic off pieces of clay target all day long at 100 yards.

Night hunting regs here are a joke. No lights i dont bother. I like to identify my target before i shoot. We need light regs more than anything else but then that would mean they trust us to not jack deer. They dont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I've been interested in coyote hunting for a little while now. I don't even have a rifle yet. I'm thinking about getting my hunting license(s) over the next couple of weeks and picking up a rifle. Anyone know of a reputable hunting guide in New England? Given my novice status, a place that will provide me with all the necessary steps/advice to get it done would be nice. I live in eastern Mass so I can't just walk out into the woods and go hunting.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom