Coyote Hunting MA

Reporting question. If you're lucky enough to bag one, do you bring the entire carcass to the check in or just the skinned pelt? Everything I've ever read on the subject of pelt handling says skinning asap is the best way to go. Adding untold hours to a day or 2 (if you take one late in the day or on a Saturday) could make things a lot tougher and increase the chances of damaging a beautiful pelt.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/df...-watching/hunting/game-check-information.html

It's seems like a lot less hassle if you use the online check-in. Perfectly okay for coyote.

Ah, I didn't realize you could on-line check fur bearers. Excellent. Follow up question. Another post here reminded me that it's shotgun only the next two weeks. According to my trail cam it's going to be a roll of the dice who strolls through first. One of several different deer or a couple of big healthy coyote with beautiful pelts. Anyone ever take a coyote with a 12 ga slug and have any fur left? Or should I give these 2 a pass until I can use my AR?

don't give them a pass. There are too many and they need to die.

I plan on giving coyote hunting a try this year after white tail closes. Too many of those damn things around and they're screwing with the deer patterns in the woods I set up in. That's reason enough for me to kill every one I see.

Last edited:
I would like to try it but when the season opens there will probably be to much snow on the ground for my chair to make it through.

I know one of the private places I hunt has them as I saw one awhile when I pulled in and he was a big one. Looked like a good GS sized one.

And if I am not mistaken since we cannot use lights in Mass it would have to be on a good moon night or daytime for me since all I have its a MZ which would not work at night (per law) if I understand the crazy rules for this state.

And if I am not mistaken since we cannot use lights in Mass it would have to be on a good moon night or daytime for me since all I have its a MZ which would not work at night (per law) if I understand the crazy rules for this state.

There are no restrictions on ML, other than caliber during shotgun season for deer.

There are no restrictions on ML, other than caliber during shotgun season for deer.

Interesting. Those such nicely written laws get confusing at times for me at least as I thought a MZ at night would be a no go. Thanks for the clarification.

I know the chart says that but I wouldn't bet my license on it.
They probably want night time to be strictly 22 lr.

But then again, that chart is from the state.

The person drawing up the chart with columns with 'Permissable' but with 'Other Restrictions' must've been at a bar during lunch in a neighboring state or something.

Most of us here could produce a better/clearer chart in minutes.

Last edited:
I know the chart says that but I wouldn't bet my license on it.
They probably want night time to be strictly 22 lr.

But then again, that chart is from the state.

The person drawing up the chart with colums with 'Permissable' but with 'Other Restrictions' must've been at a bar during lunch in a neighboring state or something.

Most of us here could produce a better/clearer chart in minutes.

Well I am not a betting man so...

Where is JP when you need him?

The major lesson I learned -- be ready! On my first stand, I had a coyote come trotting into a call so quickly that my lack of preparedness left me unable to place a shot.

I had that happen when I was bear hunting once! I was not ready. you expect them to take time to get there, but if predators are nearby and hear a wounded animal call, they can be there in 30 seconds! start your calling AFTER you are all set to go.

re night hunting :

I've got a few coyotes in the past, but they've always been during the day.

With tonight's bright moon, I sat out for an extra hour after dark to experiment w idea of getting a coyote at night , (during deer shotgun season, coyote hunting ends at dark) and I have to say that I really couldn't see well enough to safely distinguish what was out there. I could barely see a deer that came in about 45 yards away, but not so well I would have felt safe taking a shot if it was a coyote.

I don't know how the hell you're supposed to night hunt safely without the use of lights.

It's a joke and really a safety hazard in my opinion. I can't complain too much because at least we have the option to hunt at night, but using a light for target identification & safety purposes should be almost required.

The yotes i've gotten at night have all been against a snow covered backdrop in an open area under full moon. I'm sure if you baited you would clean up at night since you can set it up so it is in a position where you'll be able to see, calling them in you have very little idea which way they'll be coming from & if they hug a tree line which they'll typically do they're tough to spot and properly identify.

Well I went out for a deer hunt this morning and grabbed one of my cameras and this guy was in there. More than one had come by. I will talk to the property owner and see if he minds if I try and hit some of them. Damn thing looks pretty big.

ba-yote.jpg

I have not read on any of the forums that I go to that anyone eats them.

I am still not sure what most people do with them once they get one.

I guess some are just leaving them where they drop for either bait for others or food for others [devil2]

As far as eating them goes, I believe there's a few vids on YouTube (naturally) of people trying them but, as for myself, I think I'd have to be in a pretty dire survival situation before giving it a try. Other than that, I supplies it depends on the quality of the pelt. A small mangy looking one I'd leave it in the woods and consider it pest control. I've got two big healthy ones in the trail cam I'd definitely try my hand at tanning on. Not sure what I'd do with the finished product but I'm hoping to find out this year.

As far as eating them goes, I believe there's a few vids on YouTube (naturally) of people trying them but, as for myself, I think I'd have to be in a pretty dire survival situation before giving it a try. Other than that, I supplies it depends on the quality of the pelt. A small mangy looking one I'd leave it in the woods and consider it pest control. I've got two big healthy ones in the trail cam I'd definitely try my hand at tanning on. Not sure what I'd do with the finished product but I'm hoping to find out this year.

Dogs used to be raised as food animals by lots of different cultures, so I figured somebody must eat coyotes. I guess they probably are less tasty than a berry fed fall bear though.

yea i dont think many of us can dump 10k on a night vision scope.

Used Gen2 clip-on scopes often go for less than $2k. But hey, it's not for everyone.

Thinking on it though, if artificial lights aren't kosher, then this may not be either. It could be considered an artificial light.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom